X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scratchee
    • Feb 2020

90-degree pump outlet pointing the wrong way

This is sort of a general plumbing question, but I encountered it on my A4. I'm adding a polishing filter to my fuel line, and the mechanical fuel pump has a 90-degree fitting for the pump outlet. Naturally, that fitting points in the wrong direction when tightened. I considered just using a straight barb but that is problematic due to the cramped quarters. Any advice (or is it even possible) to get it pointing where I want it? See picture below: the furthest barb is pointing straight up--which is perfect--but it is not tight in that position. It becomes tight about a quarter turn later, which is just about the worst possible direction for this application.

• Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Those small pipe threaded fittings should give you a range of 360*, which would seal in range from snug to tight. I've never had an issue with carb fittings.

Perhaps another fitting will work better or you.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• scratchee
      • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
      Those small pipe threaded fittings should give you a range of 360*...
      I see. So maybe I can just tighten it beyond what seems snug. I'm a little gun-shy because the MM instructions caution against cracking the body of the pump by over-tightening.

Comment

• ronstory
        Afourian MVP
        • Feb 2016

Another option is to put a short 1/8" brass nipple in the carb and then a female right angle barb fitting. With that config, you have two threaded surfaces that you can tighten against to help with the proper alignment.
        Last edited by ronstory; 04-22-2020, 08:09 PM. Reason: grammar *and* spelling
        Thanks,
        Ron
        Portland, OR

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

you are going to use hose in between...just get a long bit of hose and try to route it that way so it doesn't kink. I have put a small open end wrench on my NPT fittings to get them where I want to go, as Dave mentioned. My polish filter and fuel pressure gauge hang underneath, in between my mech fuel pump and the carb. I have also used a 1/8" short nipple out of the carb and/or pump with a 45° or 90° female to barb to re-route the direction too. Sometimes it is not always pretty, but if you are already sealing 2 or 3 threads, sealing 4 or 5 to route it the way you like is no big deal.

Edit - P.S.> Nice color on the carb & pump..that looks SHARP!
          Last edited by sastanley; 04-22-2020, 11:13 PM.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by scratchee View Post
            I'm a little gun-shy because the MM instructions caution against cracking the body of the pump by over-tightening.
            I saw this in the instructions too. I was also "gun shy" so I bought some gasoline proof thread sealer so I did not have to over tighten to have a leak proof seal.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• scratchee
              • Feb 2020

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
              ...I was also "gun shy" so I bought some gasoline proof thread sealer so I did not have to over tighten to have a leak proof seal.
              Yeah, I'm using the same approach. The fittings in my picture have Permatex "Threadlock Blue Gel." I briefly wondered whether the loose fitting would be sufficiently sealed by the gel, but I decided that I shouldn't rely on the sealant alone, without tightening the fitting.
              Last edited by scratchee; 04-27-2020, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                • Nov 2008

The problem I ran into was that by tighening the plumbing sufficiantly to avoid fuel leaks something would be pointing in the wrong direction.

If you do use thread sealer be sure it is not affected by ethanol.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
                X