X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scratchee
    • Feb 2020

Watching valves through oil fill

While breaking down my salvaged/spare A4, I was surprised to see that the valve stems were visible through the oil fill cap. Coincidentally, the A4 in my boat has started to make a rattling sound from the vicinity of the valve gallery (I'm suspecting a broken spring, but that's not the point of this post).

With the engine running, I looked down into the oil fill and had a clear view of the nearest valve in operation (meaning, the tappet and valve stem). Two questions: should the tappet be rotating freely back and forth? I think the answer is yes but I wanted to make sure. Second, has anyone stuck an inspection camera in there to take a look at the other valves (not too far, just enough to reach inside and sight down the row of valves)? With the engine stopped, this seems like a good way to check things out. With the engine running it's a little more interesting but also more risky.
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Yes the tappets should rotate for even ware.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

I suspect you're looking through the vent hole in the valve cover plate.
      Late model blocks have the fill on the front over the flywheel. Early blocks have the fill back by the distributor.
      As for the tappets, there is nothing to keep them from rotating.
      I have one of those inspection cameras. There is an accessory tip with a mirror that allows you to look sideways. Always a challenge to figure out what you're looking at with that camera!

Comment

• scratchee
        • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
        I suspect you're looking through the vent hole in the valve cover plate.
        Late model blocks have the fill on the front over the flywheel.

Exactly. I have a late model, and when I remove the fill cap over the flywheel, the first valve is right there! I never realized until I was doing a teardown on my bench.

Comment

• ronstory
          Afourian MVP
          • Feb 2016

From the oil fill cap's perspective.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ronstory; 03-16-2021, 04:51 PM. Reason: typos
          Thanks,
          Ron
          Portland, OR

Comment

Working...