X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flyinelvis

#1 Unapproved

Runs rough under load...

I was motoring last year when plastic or something got sucked in and we overheated. After a substantial cool-down I was able to clear the clear the blockage and by removing cooling hoses determined that all seems to be ok again, plenty of water coming out exhaust as designed. The problem is this; the engine starts fine and idles well but once under way it almost sounds like a cylinder is not firing. I have changed the wires and plugs with no change. I'm thinking I may have a warped head or leaking headgaskets, I have yet to check compression but plan to soon. Any one out there ever experience this?
    The engine is 25 year old Atomic 4.
    Thanks, Jeff
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Jeff,

Did the feeling of missing a cylinder (or perhaps two) come immediately in the aftermath of the overheat? And have you discovered any water in any of the cylinders?

While we're waiting for the rest of the fraternity to check in, I would say somewhat preliminarily that I think it's very unlikely that you warped your head during the overheat. However, if someone installed a pair of the old green (paper) head gaskets in your engine, it is possible that you may have had a failure of those gaskets between two of the cylinders.

In any case, your compression check should throw considerable light on the subject.

Regards,

Don

Comment

• flyinelvis

#3 Unapproved
      Rough under load

Thanks Don,
      If the snow ever melts here north of Boston we're going to get in there and try the compression test. I know she has an oil leak as well and plan on doing the head gasket anyway. I'll keep you posted.
      Jeff

Comment

Working...
      X