A4 the same on O'Day 27 vs Tartan 27 ??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macplee
    • May 2007

A4 the same on O'Day 27 vs Tartan 27 ??????

I want to put an Atomic 4 from a 1976 O'Day 27 into my 1969 Tartan 27.
    Does anyone know if these model engines are the same? I greatly appreciate it.

See photos of both engines (one with the black vertical hose in front of it is from the Tartan which does not work at the moment and is very rusty).

Thanks
    ________
    NEXIUM HELP
    Attached Files
    Last edited by macplee; 09-05-2011, 09:55 AM.
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Macplee,

The engines are completely interchangeable.

Don

Comment

• macplee
      • May 2007

A4 O'Day vs Tartan

Thanks Don. I've been studying your website learning as I go. I notice neither of my A4 seem to have a cooling system, is that normal?
      ________
      SEXY_LHEN
      Last edited by macplee; 09-05-2011, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• Kelly
        Afourian MVP
        • Oct 2004

Macplee,

I just wanted to comment on your remark that the engine on the right "is very rusty".

I am currently working on the A4 from my Cheoy Lee B30 (the engine is in the garage) and I can assure you that, relatively speaking, your engine is NOT very rusty. Hopefully this is reassuring to you if you are contemplating a rebuild.

Good luck with the exchange.

Kelly

P.S. Did the engine on the left go halfway under water? The photo makes it look as though there was a water line on the front of the flywheel cover. Better yet, what is the goopy looking material around the compartment? Just curious...
        Last edited by Kelly; 05-24-2007, 03:50 AM.
        Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

• Don Moyer
          • Oct 2004

Both of your engines are late model, raw water cooled engines. Both engines have a thermostat in the head to regulate the temperature by controlling the amount of water that is allowed to pass through the engine for cooling and what amount is caused to by-pass the engine and pass directly to the manifold and overboard.

As a separate issue, do you have any plans for the older of these two engines? If you decide to sell the second engine, please let me know.

Don

Comment

• macplee
            • May 2007

A4 O'Day vs Tartan

KELLY, great catch. On the engine to the right. The boat/engine was on stands for 1.5 years, and collected 8" of rain water in the cabinet as you can see the water line. Do you think this will cause major demage or trouble to the engine? And thank you for the letting me know that the engine on the left is not a goner. It just looked bad to me and it wouldn't even turn over.

Comment

• macplee
              • May 2007

A4 O'Day vs Tartan

Don, I will keep you posted on the other A4. I plan on rebuilding the one on the right and use the original one from my Tartan (left) as a reference but without demaging it. If I have at least one of them running I will be happy.

What are your thoughs on rain water on the engine? It does turn when I move the prop and it looks to be in good shape.

Thanks
              ________
              Web shows

Comment

• Don Moyer
                • Oct 2004

As long as the engine turns over and there is no deep scaling on the outside, the rain water shouldn't be much of an issue.

Don

Comment

• Don Moyer
                  • Oct 2004

Macplee,

I just read your posting to Kelly and realize that I misunderstood. You apparently plan to rebuild the engine currently in your Tartan (the engine on the right in the photo). If that engine is in fact seized from sitting in rain water to a level approximately half way up the flywheel cover, the seizure is very likely caused by the main and rod bearings corroding fast to the crank. This condition is much less serious than if the rain water had found its way into the combustion chambers and caused the pistons to seize against the cylinder bores.

In either case, and even though seized engines can turn out to be good candidates for rebuilding if necessary, I'm wondering why you wouldn't consider rebuilding the newer engine (on the left) which appears to be in better condition and is not seized.

Don

Comment

• macplee
                    • May 2007

A4 O'Day vs Tartan

Now the original Tartan A4 will not turn over at all. The prop won't even move. This engine sat at a boat yard for at least 9 years without any maintance whatsoever. I don't want to pull it out if I don't have to, I have hear realigning a rebuilt engine is not so simple, even if it is the same engine only rebuilt.
                    ________
                    Alice_Latin

Comment

• macplee
                      • May 2007

A4 O'Day vs Tartan

Don,

Thanks for the insight. You were right in your initial thinking . . .

The engine on the RIGHT is from Tartan's, neglected for 9 years and seized, but not water damage that I know of just rusty looking. What do you think caused it to sezied? Just pure neglect?

The engine on the LEFT is from O'Day, prop will turn but it sat in 8 inches of rain water.

If I understand you correctly, you recommend rebuilding the O'Day (unseized) engine and put in the Tartan (my boat).

I really appreciate all your help.
                      ________
                      UNTOLDSECRET live

Comment

• Don Moyer
                        • Oct 2004

Macplee,

Yes, I recommend rebuilding the un-seized engine, in spite of the rain water which no doubt got into the crankcase. For the other engine (in your
                        Tartan) to be seized after 9 years most likely is indicative of moisture in the cylinder bores that seized the pistons. This condition could be rather problematic during the rebuild.

All that being said, if the newer engine (in the O'Day) does develop other issues upon disassembly, I wouldn't turn away from the seized engine. While being seized will complicate disassembly somewhat, as I reported in my last email, once disassembled, seized engines can turn out to be good candidates for rebuilding.

Don

Comment

• macplee
                          • May 2007

A4 O'Day vs Tartan

Don,

You are the best. I will keep you and others up-to-date and will post photos of the engines as I start working on it. Many, many thanks.

Paul
                          ________
                          RED HEAD GIRL LIVE

Comment

Working...
                          X