• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Edward P.Bonnici
    Frequent Contributor
    • Feb 2006

Colour of engine

Can you please tell me what is the exact colour of the Atomic 4 since it has been painted and i would like to give it the original colour
    Thanks
  • Moonshadow
    Frequent Contributor
    • Feb 2006

Paint colours available for the Atomic Four in 1960 were listed in the parts manual as green, aqua-blue, epoxy tan, and copper metallic, but by 1970 the only colour available for the Atomic Four was copper metallic, which was the colour most engines were painted.

The above is from the following web site.....http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/Atomic_4_Eng_Service/History_of_the_Universal_Motor_Company_3.html

Most I have seen have been the copper metallic color. If you look at the site I have listed I believe they have one that color.

Ron

Comment

• Don Moyer
      • Oct 2004

Edward,

The official color of the Atomic 4 was referred to by Universal as "bronze". However, during the thirty-plus years that Universal manufactured the Atomic 4, they procured paint from at least three different suppliers. For this reason, the actual shade of the bronze paint varied somewhat, not to mention that several decades of sea water, overheating, etc. has caused most of the paint to fade to varying degrees.

I'm not sure where Westerbeke came up with their "Universal Bronze" color, but it is much lighter than the bronze paint that we see on the Atomic 4's
      that pass through our shop.

The paint that we sell in our online catalog (product number OHSP_01_129) is custom mixed for us by one of the three paint companies in Oshkosh which used to sell paint to Universal while they were still in business. If you go to moyermarine.com and check out the engine pictured in our technical note "The best of early and late model engines", you'll see a good representation of the actual color of our paint. Here is the link.

Best regards,

Don Moyer

Comment

Working...
      X