• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dcsavitzky
    Frequent Contributor
    • Nov 2008

breather tube

Hello All,

I have broken the flexible metal tube that connects the valve cover to the flame arrester. Any ideas where I can get a new one? I don't know what to call it, so I don't know how to find it on the internet or ask for it when I call an auto parts place. Is there some rubber alternative (like the "slash tube" on the newer model A4? Is there a problem with plugging the hole and running the engine for now?

Thanks.

David
  • Easy Rider
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2007

Our host has them listed under breather tube - $20.00

(OVAL_11_203) Breather hose (late model) - valve cover to carburetor
    Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

I have no experience with it but I wonder if a late model intake air horn and flame arrestor can be fitted to an early model carb (like you have) which could then accommodate the late model slash tube. Perhaps a call to Ken at MMI is in order. He'll know.

Of course, there's always that three letter abomination that manages blowby well but introduces subtle tuning adventures. Man, I can't believe I'm saying it but its initials are P-C-V. In all fairness, it's one of your options.

You will want to impart a negative pressure on the crankcase in any case. Closing off the breather negates this.
      Last edited by ndutton; 05-14-2013, 01:11 AM.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• dcsavitzky
        Frequent Contributor
        • Nov 2008

Thanks.

The late model breather tube ("slash tube"?) would also require changing over the valve cover and the flame arrester. The model I have keeps the arrester vertical.

I think the PCV valve would work but I saw the forum threads that described additional problems with tuning the carburetor. I'm still hoping for a lead to get a simple replacement.

A call to Ken is the plan for this morning.

David

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

David, the early model breather tubes look like gas supply lines to me..i.e., to a gas hot water heater, or portable propane applicance, hard line from the ground to a grill, etc..

They sell those in various diameters too.

Don't forget to come back and fill us in about your discussion with Ken and the solution, once you find one!
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• romantic comedy
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

I am not familiar with that part, but could you not use a hose for that application?

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2008

The metal hose is 3/4" in diameter.

I still have mine attached to the breather but was looking at a supplier in the UK on Ebay recently thinking they may have some in this diameter?

I have purchased 40mm hose from them previously and found their service and price from GB to be very reasonable.

Comment

Working...
              X