• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris.m.johnson
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jan 2011

Engine Install This Weekend

Well,
    This is the big weekend! Will I drive home victorious, or with my head hung in defeat? I'm optimistic, and armed with the new parts, thanks MM and Tom (did you get the check?), I'll install my A4, and maybe then I can hold my head high and be a bonafied Afourian.
    I've read the threads, got my exhaust parts made, made a plan for how to get the engine the last 1 1/2' onto the mounts, read about alignment and got my folding 12/6 propeller that I saved all these years, all ready to go! Just a few questions...
    1. Where do all those hoses go? Just kidding, even though I've never actually seen an installed A4, some things are common sense. The gas line won't fit on the exhaust pipe so I'm not totally lost.
    2. How do the water hoses go? I've got a through hull with a T and a hose going each direction.
    3. Which port does the water hose that goes into the exhaust come from?
    4. Anybody got any really good pictures or drawings/sketches?
    5. I've been following different discussions, and this is the most technically inclined group of sailors that I've encountered. I'm hoping all your interesting facts and attention to detail carry over and I'll return with before and after pictures to post on Tuesday!
    Jibe Ho!
    Chris
  • CalebD
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Best of luck.

I'm not the most technically minded of this group but I wish you luck.
    Not sure if this will actually help but Moyer has some 360 degree photos of an A4 that might help: http://www.moyermarine.com/360/index.html
    or not, since the cooling water is not really set up in the stand alone photos.
    I'm sure there are some diagrams for cooling water flow that can be provided. The biggest question there would be is the engine going to be Raw water cooled or Fresh water cooled (anti-freeze)?
    If you can install the engine, set up the prop and shaft, hook up the fuel I am quite certain that the cooling water and exhaust will come together.
    Best of luck.
    Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
    A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• lat 64
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2008

If you don't get it done, don't hang your head. Just crack a cold one and get ready for next weekend.

Did you take any photos before it came out?
      Many of our boats are set up differently. We'll have to find you someone who has a setup like yours. So.....
      As Caleb said, We need to know:

Fresh water or raw(sea water) cooled,
      type of exhaust,
      type of boat(someone probably has the ideal configuration),

Good luck,
      Russ
      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• roadnsky
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by chris.m.johnson View Post
        ...Where do all those hoses go?
        How do the water hoses go? I've got a through hull with a T and a hose going each direction.
        Which port does the water hose that goes into the exhaust come from?
        Anybody got any really good pictures or drawings/sketches?
        Chris-
        Here's a basic diagram of the water flow thru a RAW WATER setup.
        Let us know what you have (pics?) and we'll be glad to provide pics, diagrams, hand drawings, etc
        Attached Files
        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
        sigpic
        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• roadnsky
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Here's a typical exhaust set up using a WATER LIFT muffler.
          Note where the cooling water exits the manifold and returns into the Hot Exhaust...

This is the set up I have on my boat.
          As the guys have said, every vessel requires different set ups.
          We'll need some more info to know what your's will need...
          Attached Files
          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
          sigpic
          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• chris.m.johnson
            Frequent Contributor
            • Jan 2011

Got The Engine in Place

Well,
            I did it. I got the engine in place. It was a litt bit of a work out, so I quit while the quittin' was good and I didn't screw something up. Optimistically, there will be 4 pictures attached and you guys can see where I'm at in the process. Please take a look at the before picture and provide input on the spot that would be behind the starter. Do I have to worry about that? Notes, I know the engine is not near alignment, yes, I know the engine isn't shinny new pretty, I'm trying to get the boat together enough to get it down the bay and I can clean up...Rome wasn't built in a day! Actually, it took 2 hours to get the engine in the boat, and 3 hours to get it in place and to the point it is now. Of course, I spent about 6 hours (cumulatively) doint the prep work. Now I've got to align the shaft and reinstall the components. Thanks for the diagrams and input.
            Chris
            Attached Files
            Last edited by chris.m.johnson; 02-22-2011, 09:38 PM. Reason: Added Attachments

Comment

• domenic
              • Jul 2010

Good Job chris. I was going to take my A4 out...but the idea of moving it up the dock to the hard still makes my heart pound. The dock moves as you walk on it. oat goes on the hard at the end of winter...I'll do it then.

Domenic

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

Chris, looking good...

Over in my Indigo thread, starting at about post #320, is where I finally got to the point where you are..coupler install, alignment, etc.. - it is tedious, but not difficult.

Also, Don Casey's book "This Old Boat" and Nigel Calder's mechanical & electrical maintenance book have good sections on engine alignment..However, the best tips I got were right here from Hanley, which should be in that thread as well.

Good Luck & report back..nice pics!
                -Shawn
                "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X