• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob Salinas
    • Jul 2012

Oil fill tube

Hi everyone,
    A question about my oil fill tube. On my A4 there is no fill tube on the front of the block. There is a tube on the rg cover plate, is this the filler? I have not seen any pictures of a block like this. Would this be an early block or late? Could this be a rare factory hi performance casting? My head seems to be late, it has double act therm not Dole. The tube on rg plate has a 1" rubber plug with a thru bolt, washer and nut to seal the tube. If this is the filler should it be sealed shut or have a vented oil cap? Also does anybody have the MMI oil change kit installed? How is it closed off and what pump do you use? The pick up tube seems to have greater diam for pickup than a small tube down the dipstick tube. It's time for an oil change as a funny thing happend on the way to the Island this weekend, but I will save that for another post, first things first. Your opinions and comments are always welcomed, thanks for letting me share, my name is Rob and I AM a sailaholic.

Rob Salinas
    Maluhia '71 E27 #74
    Termanal Island Ca
    Rob Salinas
    Maluhia
    '71 E-27 #74
    Terminal Island,Los Angeles
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

I've seen the sort of fill you describe on V drives. This pic shows two fills: the typical late model fill above the flywheel and the gear cover fill so you can actually get to it when the V drive engine is located under the cockpit.
    Attached Files
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Rob Salinas View Post
      Also does anybody have the MMI oil change kit installed? How is it closed off and what pump do you use? The pick up tube seems to have greater diam for pickup than a small tube down the dipstick tube.
      Rob-
      Welcome to the forum!

I have the MMI Oil Change kit. Works great!
      Here are a few pics of my set up.
      I use a hand-pump arrangement that I picked up from Hamilton. (1st pic)
      The MMI kit comes with a hose barb/male threaded 1/8" with Cap (last pic)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by roadnsky; 08-03-2012, 01:24 PM.
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

Working...
      X