• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • High Hopes
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
    Steve - welcome back!
    Thanks! I've been out sailing my boat instead of working on it.

I went to the Annapolis sailboat show last weekend - nice boats. I like the Island Packet Estero and the Alerion Express 33 footer. I didn't inquire into the price of any of them.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by SteveMarkowski View Post
      The crack was found after the engine was installed. It would have been better if it cracked on the way out of the boat.

Somewhere on this forum I posted vector drawing showing that the lifting bracket pushes down on the head with 1100 lb. of force. The problem is that the bracket eye is offset from the lifting bracket studs. This creates a huge moment about the studs. The lifting eye needs to be between two studs, not off to the side.

Steve
      Like the carrying handle on our issue FN rifles in the Army - I think my lifting eye bracket will be cut off and never used for this purpose.

Comment

• Mark S
        • Sep 2008

Silly me! I always thought the term "lifting eye" referred to the bracket's appearance!

Originally posted by SteveMarkowski View Post
        The lifting eye needs to be between two studs, not off to the side.
        I remember lifting automobile engines with a come-along hooked to a chain bolted down between two studs. Seems to me that's the best way to lift any engine.

Mark

Comment

• David Masury
          • Oct 2004

I think that you have received some great advise from all the posters so far. You asked the question about de-gunking a fuel tank. I did this operation years ago since I could not take my tank out and have it cleaned commercially.

Drain the tank of all fuel. Get a couple of gallons of alcohol from the hardware store. Dump the two gallons in the take and let it sit for a while. Stir it up as best you can then syphon the AL out through a couple of coffee filters. Replace the AL in the tank and repeat the process using new coffee filters each time until you get no more particles etc. By the way, Melita coffee filters fit most standard funnels.

When satisfied, dispose of the AL, it will evaporate quickly if you spead it around on news paper. What little AL is left in the tank won't hurt fresh fuel.

I have had discussion about doing this with others, some feel that AL does not do anything to loosen the gunk, but I cannot argue wioht the success I had.

David

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

Steve,
            I don't like the design of the A-4 lifting eye either...I'd probably have chain bolted in some threaded holes somewhere else on the engine (sitting here at work contemplating, probably a water pump hole & a forward manifold stud at the flywheel end maybe?)

Once you get the balance correct, it should lift straight.
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
              Steve,
              I don't like the design of the A-4 lifting eye either...I'd probably have chain bolted in some threaded holes somewhere else on the engine (sitting here at work contemplating, probably a water pump hole & a forward manifold stud at the flywheel end maybe?)

Once you get the balance correct, it should lift straight.
              Shawn, when it comes time to rebuild fully I think I will go with disassemble as far as possible within the boat and then lifting straps under the block to do the final removal from the engine compartment?

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

duh! {smack}

67..you are probably right..good thinking.

Pull the components (most of which I did last year anyway...) - yank the manifold, yank the head..and then the block should be (relatively) light after that. Especially easier with access between the mounts.
                -Shawn
                "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X