X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

the beauty of a forum is the 'turnover' fresh topics stay on top!

What Neil & Chris said.

Jerry, I thought we had the coil issue resolved too, but I am right now back at square one with two coils that run for 60 minutes and die, with 2.2Ω of resistance in front of them and a reading of ~11.5-ish volts. - I am hoping I have solved that by finally doing what I should have done and buying a Moyer coil. I will however, keep the resistor in front of it and use the "R" terminal on the starter if necessary for starting.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

I understand Simon's thoughts too. Not too long ago the Drawings and Schematics category was introduced to make the resources available without searching through 60,000 posts to find one. A similar albeit different effort was made with the Best of the Best category. Sometimes I'll browse the posts there for an interesting read.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Hiker_00
        • Aug 2008

on the buffalo and buggy whip

FWIW -

I agree with an edited end result. The advent of cheap digital photography, video feeds, and support for amateur mechanics has produced a wealth of information. We sort of have this already with the sticky posts on the top of sections. It could be much better.

Also, another list I lurk has the same problem but the subject is all the variants and systems on Sabre sail boats. It's very, very hard to get a good clear read on the same type of problems and the vast majority has nothing to do with my deck stepped, A4 powered boat.

I guess my point is, this is a natural progression of crowd sourced information. The software that runs this forum should know the problem we are discussing. I wonder if they have a solution?

Lastly, it's clear the days of paper are going the way of the buffalo and buggy whip. The last 5 years has been an amazing transformation. The next 5 will be stunning.

Regards
        Tim

Comment

• HalcyonS
          • Dec 2012

All points well taken. By their generosity, folks like Jerry and Neil (and others) keep the forum a happy place. And yes, as Neil says, there are some issues that appear to be constant sources of "discussion'. But, its also clear that some effort to organise solid data would help everyone. So I ask myself what is the goal? (apart from satisying my inner librarian).

Most people find their way here asking 'how do I...?' or 'why doesn't my 'x' do 'y'... When I have a problem, I want to know how to fix it, as efficiently as possible - and then maybe discuss surprises, share what I've learned, products, tools, procedures...

Like any community, we have newbs and seasoned experts - and people in the middle like me. We should make it easy for newbs to enter, not just in the sense of welcome, but in the sense of coming up to speed

This would help the forum because confusion over basic processes and terminology would be less likely to happen.

So, beginning with what we've got, at least, couldn't we:

Expand the FAQs, ie: Establish an organised collection of standard procedures, ie how to overhaul a carb, how to set timing, winterising instructions, how to find then fix a stuck valve, how to clean fuel tank/lines, etc, etc, etc...

Organise drawings

I don't have a habit of looking at 'best of', maybe I should, or maybe its time to take whats there and organise it into the above.

Make a distinction between issues that are 'settled' at least until the next anomalous results come up, and contentious issues in active discussion. For each of Neil's nightmare topics, there are 10 that are settled.

A wiki structure might help?
          "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by HalcyonS View Post
            For each of Neil's nightmare topics, there are 10 that are settled.
            How many nightmare topics do I have??
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California

Comment

• Administrator
              MMI Webmaster
              • Oct 2004

Other than being legally required to honor copyrights and trademarks (both Westerbeke's and Moyer Marine's), folks are free to do as they wish with a wiki. At present, we have no plans to pursue this approach.

Bill

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Simon mentioned the FAQ section on the home page. That's a great place to find universally accepted info for newbies and old gassers alike.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• T27_478
                  • Jun 2013

Newbie Sticky

On a similar forum I subscribe to (TDIclub.com) a sticky was created that simply contained links to what were generally accepted as the most helpful and conclusive threads for common questions. Newbies were urged to go there first for any questions and if they had a funny quirk, new idea... they were encouraged to start a new post. Additionally, a sticky was kept just to keep links for useful how-to's.

As a newbie to this site it has been invaluable, especially given that the symptoms I've experienced are caused by several malfunctions and they were difficult to sort out. Posting was very helpful to discover the true problems and find solutions when the symptoms were not cut and dry.

TLDR: Create a sticky with links for How to's and common problem threads. Posting is reserved for novel issues.

Comment

• HalcyonS
                    • Dec 2012

"TLDR: Create a sticky with links for How to's and common problem threads. Posting is reserved for novel issues. "

good compromise

I notice the 'aftermarket kits and accessories' section is pretty dormant - 3 posts in a year? Maybe it could change to a customisations thread, with stickies with topics like cooling improvements, oil filtration, all the usual - and not so usual, projects?
                    "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.

Comment

• HalcyonS
                      • Dec 2012

Case in point (no pun intended)

I think I need a how-to on adjusting timing. I haven't done it before. I'm crawling about the forum, using the search function, looking at the faq/tech tips. Can't find it, though I know it must be there.

The Tech Tips are difficult to survey, as they're mostly organised by date, and you can't search them. If you don't already know whats there, you'll have to work hard to find it.

I think we can do better.

S

Comment

• HalcyonS
                        • Dec 2012

Case in point continued

so among the various irrelevant items turned up in search, I get Neil's gem -

"Distributor removal and replacement 101"

in which he says:

"We’ve had many posts describing a start from scratch timing exercise"

that's all very well but how do I find them !?!

Likewise, I want to clean and lube my centrifugal weights, but where is the definitive how-to? Its so simple, its there somewhere. I read about it recently, I can't find it.

Do others do as I do? - copy and paste useful posts out of the forum? Then have to find then on my HD. Lets do ourselves a favor and save ourselves the trouble.

Comment

• HalcyonS
                          • Dec 2012

me again

I did however find a gem from Shawn about tools, which I've not seen before.

edited:

Art, those ratcheting box end wrenches are the BEST thing since sliced bread on these motors & the tight spaces we often work in.

I bought a whole set from 8mm up to 25mm on fleabay, since all of my other motors are metric, but the tolerances are close enough my metrics work on the SAE stuff on the Atomic 4 just fine. I have the flex head style from GearWrench. The cost per wrench goes down exponentially when you buy a larger set..

Additionally, another tool I love is a 3/8" ratchet I have that also spins the socket when you twist the handle. This is great when you don't have any room to swing the ratchet.

"Stanley Tools Rotator Ratchet", you'll find it. It is one of the best $25 I've ever spent on a tool

which makes me think, maybe we need a sticky called Tools You Need/Tools I Love

ok, I'll get out of your way now

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

"Distributor removal and replacement 101" in which he says:
                            "We’ve had many posts describing a start from scratch timing exercise"
                            that's all very well but how do I find them !?!

Likewise, I want to clean and lube my centrifugal weights, but where is the definitive how-to? Its so simple, its there somewhere. I read about it recently, I can't find it.
                            For starters, Chapter 3 of your MMI Service and Overhaul Manual covers everything you're asking about in detail. With pictures.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California

Comment

• Hiker_00
                              • Aug 2008

I think I need a how-to on adjusting timing.

S
                              Our host's Timing Video on this site is a great resource for exactly this issue. I downloaded it and have referred to it each time I get the urge to find TDC.

Tim

Comment

• gmilburn
                                • Apr 2009

All good discussions, I firmly believe in getting something started, THEN tweak as you gain experience. I know that planning BEFORE executing is important, but too often, planning takes forever, and the project never gets off the ground! My two cents worth!

On a separate note, I wonder if Moyer would allow us to archive all their instruction inserts that they ship with their products? Sometimes it's wise to look over the size of the retrofit BEFORE you order the part. For example, I put off electronic ignition fearing how difficult it was, only to find out AFTER I ordered the kit, how incredibly simple it was! Same for a mechanical to electrical fuel pump replacement!

Just my thoughts!
                                -----------------
                                "HydroPhilic" 1977 Ericson 29 Tall
                                Beaver Lake, Heart of the Ozarks
                                Rogers, Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                                X