X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shawnb
    • Mar 2013

low compression after rebuild

Hello, I just finished my first rebuild on 1979 A-4. It came out of my Catalina 30. Some background, I bought as project and motor was completely disassembled "basket case" I spent this winter reassembling the A-4. What I have replaced;
    Bolt on
    Fuel Pump- electric
    Alternator
    Distributor- electronic
    coil
    starter
    rebuilt water pump
    Internal motor work
    rings
    valve springs
    honed walls
    lapped valves- reused
    reused bearings and pistons as they were within spec.
    really really really good cleaning and all new gaskets.
    Oh, and rebuilt carburetor.

So I am ready to bench test and expect it to start right up...........No, it turns over and appears to have fuel and fire and at the correct time...
    Checked compression 60psi on all four cylinders? Is this why it wont start? I have changed so many things that its a bit difficult to know where to start.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Shawn B
  • Sony2000
    • Dec 2011

I would tell myself, she will run and wear in while running.
    Some SAE 30 squirted on the rings to help the compression, a cc. of gas in each cylinder and fire her up, then keep her running. Timing is important.

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Not uncommon to have low compression numbers with rebuild. Yes, pour some oil in cylinders through plug holes and fire it up and keep her running. She will smoke allot doing this... No high revs, let her run a few hours if you can and let her break in a bit.

Turn off raw water until it starts...once it starts open the thru hull for raw water...Also keep an eye on water and cooling when doing this...it's easy to get fixated on one thing and get nailed by another.

Close eye on oil pressure.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• romantic comedy
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

back to the basics:

Fuel? Always can give a squirt of ether to see if it is getting fuel. Are you using fresh gas?

Spark? could you be 180 degrees off? Are the wires in the correct order? Do you have nice fat blue spark?

Agreed that a bit of oil can help to get it started.

Comment

• marthur
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2004

Compression requires a good seal between the piston rings and cylinders. Until the rings have seated, you will see lower compression. Don't worry about that until you run it and the rings begin to seat.

Even though your numbers are low, you should get some fire. Check that your timing is not 180 degrees out. Check the mixture and make sure you are using full choke. A squirt of starting fluid might help. It should run!
          Mike

Comment

• Al Schober
            Afourian MVP
            • Jul 2009

Shawn,
            My first ever rebuild, I had no spark - drove me nuts as all the parts checked good. Turns out the coil wire to the distributor was on the wrong side of the insulating washer at the points!
            But you say you have spark? I'd be very suspicious of the timing being 180 deg out. Each turn of the crank gives one TDC on piston #1, but the #1 plug is only supposed to fire on every other turn. That would be the TDC after the compression stroke.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Jan 2007

clarify

Shawn spark is at TDC of the compression stroke!! The "other" TDC is the end of the exhaust stroke and the beginning of the intake.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

All the guys are cautioning against timing 180° out because we've seen it over and over and from very knowledgeable members and their knowledgeable neighbors. It's an easy thing to check just to make sure. Perhaps you could tell us how you established the distributor/rotor position after the rebuild. That could give us clues.

What the guys are not saying (except for marthur) but I believe they're thinking is 60 psi/cylinder should be enough to get her running.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California
                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• wsulli
                  • Nov 2013

I helped a friend with his rebuilt a4 it would not start many tries several days, on day 1 I said maybe its 180 out, checked and rechecked for days. Finally he flipped the distributor 180 and it STARTED.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • Jan 2007

Id

When the piston is at the top~~TDC~~the valves will be closed and it is time for the spark.

The dist points wherever it gets installed. If #1 is at TDC of the compression stroke start the wiring on the cap from where the rotor is pointing that is now #1 plug wire~~~etc with the firing order.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• shawnb
                      • Mar 2013

Timing is everything

She fired right up after correcting the timing issue......now I have smoked the garage out and wife said enough. Looks like I can finish engine install on Saturday. Thanks everyone!

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Great news Shawn.

Anybody else besides me notice the collective troubleshooting from the membership is getting better and better as time goes on? Based solely on information in the original post, 5 of 10 replies mentioned timing and a few others how to do it. And look how it played out.

Good going guys.
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California
                        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Al Schober
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Jul 2009

Does this mean I get a bonus in my check this week?

Comment

• Administrator
                            MMI Webmaster
                            • Oct 2004

Al:

Having achieved the exalted status of MVP, there is (currently) no higher calling in the Afourian world to which you can aspire, so a promotion is out of the question, but we will consider increasing your year-end bonus (percentage-wise!).

Bill

Comment

Working...
                            X