• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sousou
    • Sep 2013

Electric Fuel Pump Issues

Greetings!

On Saturday when I was motoring in the channel leaving my marina the motor suddenly died. I cranked it again and it ran for about 2-3 seconds and promptly died. At this point I raised the sailed and sailed back to my slip. Surprisingly it was smoother than some of my motoring landings!

Engine behavior sounded very similar to forgetting to turn the gas on...Doh! So i narrowed the problem down to a fuel related issue.

Checking the system, I noticed that the fuse (10amp) to the oil pressure safety switch // fuel pump was blown. I replaced with a fresh fuse, cranked her up and 3-4 seconds later the fuse died and motor died after another few seconds. To me this sounds like an electrical problem at either the OPSS or the Fuel Pump, but I'm thinking it's more likely to be a Fuel Pump problem.

Anyways, I'd like to jump the OPSS to verify whether it's causing any problems, but I'm unsure of whether to connect my gators. I've read a few other post but I really need it spelled out for me :-)

Existing Setup: Coil -> Wire ->10AMP Fuse ->wire ->OPSS in -> OPSS out -> Fuel Pump.
    Fuel pump is bolted to the motor.

Where do I connect the gators to avoid doing something really. really. stupid?

By the way: I fixed my overheating problem back in September. I monkey'ed around the exhaust manifold and all 90 degree connectors. Lots of nasty stuff was removed. This reduced operating temp to 150-160, even at high RPM. For fresh water this would've been OK, but since I'm in salt i bought the bypass kit and the added pressure reduced temp down to 130-140 depending RPM. Nice!
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Put the jumper across the OPSS. It's a normally open switch, closed by oil pressure. The jumper will make it act like it's closed. If the problem goes away, replace the switch.
    Personally, I think it's the pump. A bad switch would stop the engine but it wouldn't blow the fuse. A bad pump could blow the fuse.

Comment

• sousou
      • Sep 2013

Appreciate the reply.

I jumped the OPSS, cranked, started, fuse blew after 2-3 seconds and engine died a few seconds later. Seems like something in the fuel pump is blowing the fuse.

Going to order a second one, but before I install are there any tests that I can run to ensure I don't immediately fry the new pump?

Comment

• sousou
        • Sep 2013

By the way, I noticed that my coil was making a funny squealing sound as well...

Could that have something to do with it? Video with sound included.

Comment

• CalebD
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

Wow!
          What a squeeky noise. From a coil? Something is very wrong with this...
          I have never heard a coil make that noise.

Seems to me that you must have a fault in your ignition wiring as you keep blowing fuses.

Bypassing the OPSS switch will not fix whatever short or fault that exists in your wiring. Neither will burning out more fuses.

Just one more reason why I love my mechanical fuel pump: no wiring!
          Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
          A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• sousou
            • Sep 2013

I'm sure mechanical has it's advantages, but these are the cards I've been dealt and I'm trying to play my hand the best i can

Nothing has changed on the wiring side, so I'm wondering if it's something the fuel pump causing it to blow or in the coil. I'm trying to figure out how to isolate the source of the short...

This is the closest diagnosis ive been able to track down: http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1890
            Last edited by sousou; 11-25-2013, 01:27 AM.

Comment

• prstack7
              • Aug 2011

it's probably the pump

I experienced everything you describe, minus the noise. The pump was bad. I installed a mechanical pump. My electric pump was only 2 years old.

Comment

• sousou
                • Sep 2013

Interesting. The coil just starting acting up. Maybe from all the cranking?

Already ordered the electric, so we'll see how soon I regret it. . Previous one was installed by PO in 2005. If I can get 8 years out of it I'll be happy!

Comment

• edwardc
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Aug 2009

I'm a big doubter in "coincidences", so when two things happen together I'm hard-pressed not to believe that they're related.

The squealing coil is a mystery. The sound reminds me of the squeal emitted by some old-style tube-type video monitors.

Or, (a long shot), it could be a "cooked" coil, whth the squeal being caused by escaping pressure in the coil???

But what could cause both the pump and the coil to act up at the same time? The only thing I could come up with is the voltage. If your alternator or regulator is bad, it could me putting 14 volts or more onto the DC bus. This could account for both the pump drawing too much current, and the coil acting up.

This would also make the cabin lights burn too bright. Check the system voltage. It's easy, and will rule this in or out.
                  @(^.^)@ Ed
                  1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                  with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• sousou
                    • Sep 2013

Yes -- I'm not a fan of coincidences -- especially when it could burn up another FP!

I found these two posts:

and

But do you know if there are any diagrams of what/where I should be metering? My comfort level with electrical is low, so I'm trying to dummy proof this as much as possible.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                      • Nov 2008

Then I Am Happy

Originally posted by sousou View Post
                      Interesting. The coil just starting acting up. Maybe from all the cranking?Already ordered the electric, so we'll see how soon I regret it. . Previous one was installed by PO in 2005. If I can get 8 years out of it I'll be happy!
                      8 years? My boat was built in 1979. The A4 still has the original electric fuel pump. Seems to still be going strong.
                      Power up the fuel pump through the fuse straight from the battery. Disconnect the wire from coil - and power up the coil. See if the noise goes away. If it does touch the wire back to coil - and see if the noise starts again.
                      My gut feeling is there is more going on than has been sorted out to date ie are the fuel pump burning out and the noise related? (per ED in the post above)

TRUE GRIT

Edit: If there is a wire from the starter that is cojoined to the lead to the fuel pump at the OPSS disconnct it at the starter and pull it back around the engine. If there is such a wire it could be causing problems.
                      Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 11-25-2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• sousou
                        • Sep 2013

There is no wire going from starter to fuel pump. Only connection is: coil ->fuse -> OPSS ->Pump

When I powered straight from the coil to the fuel pump, the fuel pump did not "tick," but I have not tested straight from the battery.

Is it safe to connect the wire to the positive terminal of the battery ->10AMP fuse ->Fuel Pump?

Comment

• joe_db
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

I would go for 5 or 3 amps for that fuse.

There is no wire going from starter to fuel pump. Only connection is: coil ->fuse -> OPSS ->Pump

When I powered straight from the coil to the fuel pump, the fuel pump did not "tick," but I have not tested straight from the battery.

Is it safe to connect the wire to the positive terminal of the battery ->10AMP fuse ->Fuel Pump?
                          Joe Della Barba
                          Coquina
                          C&C 35 MK I
                          Maryland USA

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                            • Nov 2008

The idea is to isolate the two circuits (fuel pump & coil) so you can start to figure out what is going on.
                            So power the pump by taking the lead to the fuel pump off the coil and connect it to another hot spot.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• HalcyonS
                              • Dec 2012

"my coil was making a funny squealing sound as well... "

saw the video. That sound is very like a high speed 'make and break' circuit. Is it really in the coil? Could it be points? Get a stethoscope maybe to locate noise?
                              "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.

Comment

Working...
                              X