• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

Forum problem

Admin Bill,

I don't know if you've been getting the messages I've sent about pages failing with a "502 Bad Gateway" error, but the problem has taken a dramatic turn for the worst this morning.

Fully thirteen out of twenty-three new posts now come up with "502 Bad Gateway"!

Here's a couple of examples:

Other posts, and the rest of the forum, work fine.
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic
  • GregH
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2015

Maybe Bill has it sorted already since your post - those links are working fine for me at 0809 EST.
    Greg
    1975 Alberg 30
    sigpic

Comment

• Administrator
      MMI Webmaster
      • Oct 2004

Working on it!

Tnx.

Bill

Comment

• Administrator
        MMI Webmaster
        • Oct 2004

If anyone else sees a problem, please report here the nature of the problem (what you were trying to do) and the time of day.

Tnx,

Bill

Comment

• edwardc
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2009

Still seeing the problem at 7:19 this morning.

I went through the usual steps of clearing the cache, and then restarting the browser (Firefox). Still no joy in each case.

Then I thought to try other browsers. Surprisingly, both Safari and Chrome worked!

So, the problem seems to be limited to Firefox. Puzzling, as a 502 error is usually issued by an edge router, and associated with a server problem.

And of course, perversely, this thread is one of the ones that errors in Firefox. I had to use Safari for this response.
          @(^.^)@ Ed
          with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Administrator
            MMI Webmaster
            • Oct 2004

Thanks for this, Ed. I too am suspicious of a server issue. Let me know if you see it at other times of day.

Bill

Comment

• sdemore
              • Nov 2016

Two cents. I checked the three links yesterday and they worked fine. Still working fine for me now. I doubt it's a server issue if it is working for one and not another. More likely a DNS issue with Ed's provider.
              Steve Demore
              S/V Doin' It Right
              Pasadena, MD
              sigpic

Comment

• edwardc
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
                Thanks for this, Ed. I too am suspicious of a server issue. Let me know if you see it at other times of day.

Bill
                The ones that fail are pretty much a hard fail, any time, day or night.

The ones that work continue to work.

Can't find a pattern.
                @(^.^)@ Ed
                with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• edwardc
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Aug 2009

7:54 am and still getting "502 Bad Gateway" on a number of pages, although the three mentioned in post #1 have now cleared and work.

The error page contains the word "nginx", which may give you a clue to the source of the problem.
                  @(^.^)@ Ed
                  with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Administrator
                    MMI Webmaster
                    • Oct 2004

Thanks, Ed. I've passed this on. Hope it will help.

Bill

Comment

• edwardc
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Aug 2009

Solved, But still don't understand

Bill,

After lots of network sniffing, traceroutes, and comparisons between Safari and Firefox, I came to the conclusion that the "Bad Gateway" error was originating in some sort of "performance enhancing proxy" between here and there.

I based this on the fact that Firefox would still show these troublesome topics as "unread" even after I had visited them using Safari.

Theroizing that some "cache/nocache" decision was being made based on cookies returned by the browser, I went in to preferences and deleted all cookies associated with moyermarineforum.com. This of course logged out my session. When I logged back in, today's new topics still showed as unread even though I had read then using Safari, but they now worked!

So I have lots of theory and speculation, few hard facts, and a solution that seems to work. Good enough for now!
                      @(^.^)@ Ed
                      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Administrator
                        MMI Webmaster
                        • Oct 2004

Thanks, Ed.

As far as I have been advised, we still don't know what's going on.

Bill

Comment

• Tkenopic
                          • Aug 2016

I have found similar problems in forum posts that have links to previous topics. Most of the links to previous forum threads are dead links. I'll go through and find you some examples...

Trevor Kenopic
                          1974 C&C 30
                          Windmagic
                          Collingwood, Ontario

Comment

• Tkenopic
                            • Aug 2016

Here's one from a thread created by Greg title Polishing Filter.

Tac posts a replying linking previous threads on the discussion and the threads can not be found:

Fuel Sytem Filters and Gauges
                            This, posted by Neil Dutton, contains USCG fuel requirements. Note the prohibition on plastic or glass for inboard gasoline systems. These are U.S., not Canadian, requirements:

ABYC Gasoline Fuel Systems. These are recommended standards:

This thread, started by Neil Dutton, has an informative writeup about filter ratings. I think post #1 of this thread should be mandatory reading for all, even if it contains that smelly word, “diesel”. I would only add to this that physically small filters, like the one in post #1, will clog up mighty fast. They might be good for a small lawnmower engine, but not an A4:

Your own thread post of 2016 has specific suggestions on secondary filters:

If you are avoiding the Moyer secondary (“polishing“) filter because of high import costs, search out a Canadian auto parts store for the Hastings GF2 or GF10 or Baldwin BF833 filters.

As for a fuel pressure gauge:

Trevor Kenopic
                            1974 C&C 30
                            Windmagic
                            Collingwood, Ontario

Comment

• Tkenopic
                              • Aug 2016

I've found this problem in several locations, all linking to previous threads where the threads can no longer be found...

It would be a shame to lose all those golden thread links! Makes it way easier to find things when you're looking.

In addition, I've also found that Google seems to be able to find more relevant threads than the forum search tool. Not sure why that is...

Trevor Kenopic
                              1974 C&C 30
                              Windmagic
                              Collingwood, Ontario

Comment

Working...
                              X