Does your fuel system include a Racor fuel filter/water separator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tony201
    • Jan 2009

I have a fram in my O'Day and it works just fine

Comment

• tony201
      • Jan 2009

I have a fram in my O'Day and it works just fine

Comment

• gary gerber
        • May 2008

yes, a SIERRA # 18-7845 fuel/water separator

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Sierra 18-7845 filter/separator, electric fuel pump with a fuel rated Y valve just before the carb. The third port of the Y returns to the fuel tank. After changing the filter I turn the valve to tank return and power up the fuel pump. This easily purges the new filter in less than a minute. As a bonus, the valve can be turned off when closing up the boat - an added safety in the case if a stuck carb bowl float. I figured the easier it is to change and purge the filter the more it will get done.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Capn Tom
            • Jun 2008

racor fuel filter

Would you happen to have the part number on that racor and who sells it?

Cap'n Tom

Live NOW or die a SLOW death; Live your dreams, don't dream your life.
            Cap'n Tom

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Tom,
              Don Moyer sells it here at this site. His part number is FPMP_05.1_349

The Racor number is 320R-RAC-02 - the 02 indicates a metal bowl, needed to comply with inboard standards, even though many have an outboard bulb to help prime the system. I recently removed my bulb while troubleshooting other issues, and currently have only the Racor & the screen mated with the mechanical fuel pump & it seems to be working just fine.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• Capn Tom
                • Jun 2008

racor filter

Shawn, thank you for the info. I stumbled into this thread while looking for for something else; why is the Racor superior (besides the price) to other filters?

Cap'n Tom

Cap'n Tom

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

I don't know if it is superior to others. I personally like the ability to drain the water without removing the filter, and the easy replacement of the filter element itself. I've only pumped about 15 gallons thru mine so far...I am relatively new to caring for an A-4 and primarily rely on Don & his staff as well as the experience of other forum members for guidance.
                  -Shawn
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

• Capn Tom
                    • Jun 2008

fuel filters

I hate to appear ignorant of the issue, but I am, what happens to the water in a filter that doesn't have a drain hole?
                    Cap'n Tom

Comment

• tony201
                      • Jan 2009

filter

I have a Fram in my ODay 27. Works good

Comment

• Azul
                        • Nov 2004

It is a Fram

I have a Fram filter installed on my C&C 36. This is a solid metal bowl and required by ABYC standard for below deck installations with a gas engine. The clear plastic bowl would be nice to visually inspect the filter for water but that is not a safe practice with a gas engine for the reasons listed above by some of the other members. I have place a small petcock on mine to drain the bowl as needed.
                        Rick
                        SV Isla Azul C&C 36
                        Rick

Comment

• agraziano23
                          • Sep 2009

Oh my God!! I don't I don't have any filter on my Ericson 27 other than that that is in the engine by the mechanical pump, isn't this enough?
                          Tony G.
                          1976 Ericsson 27 with A-4

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

fuel pump screen

Tony,
                            My boat had only the screen in the mechanical fuel pump for its first 30 years.

The P.O. thought that was enough. When I disassembled the carb & fuel pump last winter (I only put about 3-4 hours on the motor when I first bought the boat and then hauled it for winter) I found more water in the fuel bowl than gas (pictures here on this site in my 'introduction' thread on page 3, here). I dunno how that poor engine even ran.

So, I decided that little screen wasn't enough and added some more filters...the Racor unit is not cheap, but good piece of mind. This winter I am adding the Moyer polishing filter.
                            -Shawn
                            sigpic

Comment

• domagami
                              • Feb 2006

Filter

Bill;

Since you asked for replies; I have filters in the line between the tank/copper line, and the carb.

One on either side of the pump, just the small auto parts shop filters. Sorry, don't remember the brand but nothing special.

I'm more worried about gunk in my tank than anything else. Then again, I'm somewhat comfortable with taking the carb apart and cleaning jets if I had to.

I have not had a problem with water in the system and change/clean the separator bowl once or twice a season. (fresh water, short Great Lakes season) No noticeable problem so far.

If I had to (and I have had to) I can sail in and out of my harbor/slip, so I suppose I would install a more robust system if my use was different.

Best,

M

Comment

• gfatula
                                • Oct 2008

Yes it is a Racor.
                                gfatula
                                s/v Tundra Down
                                Seal Harbor, Maine

Comment

Working...
                                X