X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Be careful working around props especially when the boat is in the water. They can be super sharp. My diver got cut across the palm of his hand by a prop once. Not a pretty situation.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Bottom Paint the prop as well. 2 cents.

I took my boat out on Sunday morning. There was just a slight scum along the water line, but no green growth. I paint my prop and shaft with bottom paint leaving only the anodes unpainted. Nothing on them either.

I sailed only 300 nm this summer. That is way down and I think we used the boat something like 12 times. Previously she left the dock almost daily if even for an hour or so, but not this year. I was surprised to see she was clean because the excuse that most people have is "my boat sits at the dock and your's never stops."

For paint I use Amercoat ABC#4 ... industrial use. Took out 5 other boats on Sunday morning as well. Only one other wasn't full of barnacles and those slimey slug looking things and that was Georges boat. He uses Micron and his boat looked the same as mine. A couple of the boats we pulled had "new sailors" and they don't even know what they put on for bottom paint. XXX doesn't cut it here for sure although it's inexpensive...they are always covered.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• JimHo
        • Aug 2016

I was a bit wary of the engine as it was a prblem for the previous owner and, till now, for me.

The oil pressure switch was bad and has been replaced.

The carb was dirty and the floats were never adjusted correctly so I think the bowl wasn't filling enough to run well in rough conditions. That has been cleaned and the bowls set.

The gas in the tank is old and is orangy. It could have marvel mystery oil in it. I will empty that tank this winter and fill with mo gas from the local airfield which doesnt have any corn.

The sparks aren't the greatest. I am used to seeing a light brown tip. These are clean dry tips with a little darker color than I am used to. The outside rim is a bit carbony/smoky. I wouldnt say they are bad - just not that light brown i am used to. That could be the gas.

I have used bluewater ablative with 45% copper (used to be 67%) with good luck. I dont know what the boatyard applied this year, but I will repaint next spring.

The prop surprised me. That one will take some research. I Probably will wire brush it smooth with a drill and monitor.

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Jim, you are learning fast, Grasshopper. I personally hate gas with corn in it, but if you use the boat enough, 10% ethanol should not really be a problem..the emulsification and goop/water/cloudy nonsense seems to happen over several months.

I happen to have a local non-ethanol source, so I take advantage of that.

We can work thru all the other stuff. A clean prop always helps to eliminate issues with poor running back to something related to the motor. If we do not know the prop is clean, "slow", "3 kts", "low RPM" can't be attributed to motor performance until the prop is clean.

Sorry to harp on it..I just remember my own "newbie" thread from 2008 where the motor was lethargic, and most of it was prop growth. After a prop scrape, I even think I said, "now we are talking!" - edit - here is the link - Shawn's newbie thread related to the revelation after cleaning the prop You can see a link on the top right which takes you to the whole thread if you want to stab yourself a million times while reading thru it.
          Last edited by sastanley; 10-19-2016, 11:42 PM.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• tenders
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

I've found that my bottom paint blows off the blades of the prop in pretty short order. I've taken to using two light coats of Rustoleum Zinc spray paint on it instead. Worked pretty well the first season, let's see how it did this season when she comes out for the winter.

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

tenders, I've used the zinc spray too. The only issue I've found with it is that it does build up, which then affects blade performance/shape, etc.

I have never had good luck keeping bottom paint on my prop either. Since that stuff that Mo uses is so good, I am sure it is banned here in the US.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X