• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Administrator
    MMI Webmaster
    • Oct 2004

Jackstands

This is one of those factoids whose genesis has long escaped me, but I seem to remember insurance companies covering marinas changing their policies several years ago to require a minimum of four pairs of jackstands.

Or maybe it was just a way of generating a little more rental income?

Bill

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

If I was there I would just carry it up for you.
      When I was hauling big batteries - 8 Ds - we had the line as close to the hull as we could get it. Don't swing the boom way out.
      Some young beefy yard worker surely would carry it up for a $20 or a 6-pack
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• blhickson
        • Nov 2012

Thanks y'all. The boat does have 5 jackstands under her (had six but yard moved one to move boat next door and doubt they put it back). Thanks for the info on the prop and the cutlass bearing. I hope it hasn't deteriorated in the heat. Another think to check. ~sigh~ I can only work on the boat on weekends so no beefy yard guys, only few boatowners with their own long to-do lists. I'll make it happen and report back.
        Barbara L. Hickson
        Flight Risk
        C&C 33-1
        Chas., SC

Comment

• capnward
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2012

Most sailboats have a spare block and rope. If you attach the block to the battery and use twice as much rope, your load will be cut in half pulling it up from the ground to the deck.

Comment

Working...
          X