X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marian Claire
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2007

Wire will help the hose to not collapse like if you bend it. What happens, even in a straight section, is the inner layer de-laminates and "bubbles" up. That causes a restriction. I think that is what Don was referring to. I just removed my 2 year old hose, with wire and it was 60% blocked by the "bubble". It looked fine from the outside. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• Persistence
      Frequent Contributor
      • Nov 2011

exhaust

Dan/Neil - thx so much.

Neil, reading thru that thread was a real education. I've been going off memory (& thats probably not a good thing) I may have mis-stated about the 'hot section' It probably looks like one of the pics in the other thread - I'll take pix and get back to you. Hopefully it has a moyer flange that I can put a guage on and has all the metal I see in your pix.

Dan - I'll take the hose off and look for bubbles too - promise. Dave
      Dave Spellman
      "Persistence"
      1976 Catalina 30
      Hull # 488

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

This may well be a case of the boat finding you rather than the other way around. She needs a caring touch and the fact you are here on this forum tells me you are the one to save her.

Get us some pics and be prepared for some very rewarding work ahead. Your boat is the same model and vintage as mine, sastanley, thatch and a bunch of others. Check out their profile pages and photo albums. Have a look at the Moyer Marine's Pin-up category too, real inspiration to be found there.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Dave, welcome to the forum.

It looks like things are under control here. I have no additional input except to report that when I bought my Moeller tank, I picked it up from Amazon.com. A free trial to their "prime" membership offered free shipping too.

Once you pick out a tank, just Google the part number & you'll find plenty of distribution sources.

I went with the 18 gallon tank, but in this day & age of ethanol fuel (& the fact that once you have the engine running properly it takes a long time to burn 18 gallons of fuel), I think I might be happier with a smaller one like you are considering...a 12 gallon tank will likely make installation a little easier too. I had to shoehorn the 18 gallon Moeller under the bunk.

I've also slowly been undoing all the weird P.O. stuff on my Catalina 30..it is a long process, but often necessary. We definitely need some pics of the various systems so we can help you figure things out. One suggestion just in case you weren't already aware of this....(& I'll second Neil's concerns...don't run the motor AT ALL until the fuel delivery system is fixed)...don't run the motor in gear on the hard (trailer) because you'll burn up the cutless bearing inside the prop strut. Running the motor (while sucking water out of a bucket) is fine, but just tie off the prop so it won't spin.
          Last edited by sastanley; 11-15-2011, 11:35 AM.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X