• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

mharal,

You may not have an ignition wiring issue at all. If, at the time you tried to read 12+ voltage at the coil as mentioned in post #1, the points were closed you would have had a dead short through the coil AND through the points to ground, it should have read zero.

That shorted coil may have damaged other components as well, like maybe the contacts inside the ignition switch. A quick test would be from the disconnected 12V+ wire that went to the coil to ground with the ignition switch on.

What nags at the back of my mind is, what killed the coil?
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• #17 Unapproved
      thats a good point,, I will ck the 12v line to the coil with the ignition turned on.. will let you know. Also I do not have a ballast on the coil bracket and the coil is modified 12v I believe.

Is that something I could pick up locally at the auto parts store and if so,, what should I get. Otherwise I will order from the site and wait till it comes in.

thx
      Mark

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by mharal View Post
        thats a good point,, I will ck the 12v line to the coil with the ignition turned on
        Please make sure it's not connected to the coil for this test.
        Is that something I could pick up locally at the auto parts store and if so,, what should I get.
        If you have any thought of electronic ignition in the future it's worth the wait for a Moyer 4 ohm coil. I bought an auto parts coil and the search included asking about the internal resistance. The current caliber of auto parts store clerks had no idea what I was talking about. I wound up getting a Pertronix Flamethrower coil that I learned later on needed a ballast resistor for my (our) application. Had I bought a Moyer coil in the first place none of this would have been necessary.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

Let's Think About This......

The coil died after sitting for 3 months? (Post #1) I don't think so. Did you leave the key on and kill the coil? Is the switch or something else defective so the coil is still energized when it is off? This requires further analysis so coils don't continue to die on you.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• #20 Unapproved
            it is possible I left the key on at some point,, but do not recall doing that.. I will go ahead and order the coil from the site and have peace of mind knowing I have the right one.

I will also ck the 12v line from the ignition with the lead disconnected from the coil.

thx
            Mark

Comment

Working...
            X