Somebody thinks I know something about A4's..now I am an 'expert'!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lat 64
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
    Gentlemen, Great ideas, thanks.

Jerry, I had thought of that very issue with the fuel..I suggested we have a fresh jerry can of fuel available to completely bypass the fuel system..gravity feed right into the carb if necessary.

Save your back, just take a 1-gallon tank. It'll run for an hour on that!

Voltmeter, spare coil wire, wiring crimpers and connectors,....asprin.

R.
    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Administrator
      MMI Webmaster
      • Oct 2004

I.e., if you're a running light manufacturer, is there a mechanism for submitting a sample of your light to the Coast Guard and they check it and issue an approval? Or is it simply a matter of making sure your light meets the visibility requirements that USCG has established?
      I don't recall for sure, but I think I remember reading that at one point LED's could be used for anchor lights, but not running lights.

I'll see if I can find that reference.

Bill

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

When LED lights first came on the market they weren't that bright. In recent years they have improved to provide light as well as incandescent lights. Attached is a West Marine video re: lighting. FWIW

Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• msmith10
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2006

There are LED running lights that meet Coast Guard specification. Actually, I don't believe the CG approves any running lights-- they simply write the standards and it is up to the manufacturer to comply and so certify. I think the big issue is putting LED bulbs into fixtures meant for incandescents. To my knowledge there are no manufacturers certifying that the replacement bulbs will comply with CG specifications, and they would have to do so for every type and brand of fixture you could use them in. Using LED replacement bulbs could potentially be a legal nightmare for you if you had a collision.
          I replaced my lights last year with 2 mile LED fixtures. Originals were 1 mile and were deck mounted. Now they're up on the pulpit. Not only are they in a better position to be seen, they're much brighter-- and totally sealed and waterproof besides being a much smaller power drain.
          The mounting locations used back in the 70's in the sides of the hull or on the deck would no longer meet current regulations because their visibility can be obscured when the boat heels. However, you can use these locations to replace a fixture that has gone bad. My viewpoint, though, is that these are not ideal locations from a visibility standpoint, and I'd rather move them and increase the chance that I'll be seen at night.
          Mark Smith
          1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• roadnsky
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Maurice View Post
            Jerry That marina set-up you are on looks pretty good. You don't have to worry about a neighbouring boat to get off the dock...not bad at all. And nice job on the woodwork around those lights too!!
            Thanks Mo.

This is in the manual/paperwork with the Nav Lights...
            Approval Type - ABYC and NMMA
            Length (LOA) Powerboats up to 65 Feet (20 meters) in length.

Additional Approval - USCG / IMO COL REG
            Length (LOA) Powerboats over 165 Feet(50 meters) in length.

Approval Type - RINA (TA No. ELE69605CS)
            Length (LOA) Powerboats up to 165 Feet(50 meters) in length.

They're the 2NM version. There is actually a 3NM too! I can't imagine how bright those must be.
            In my sailing grounds, we have a pretty heavy evening traffic pattern in the summer months with people trying to beat the day's heat.
            A lot of that traffic are big, very fast, power "rockets" and jet skis.
            The prevailing wisdom around here is that you can't have too much or too bright a lighting system.
            (Some have taken it to a level of ridiculous)
            I do agree with trying to put them as high as possible and having them on the pulpit helps on my vessel.
            A friend tells me he can spot my boat when it's out because of the distinctly bright nav lite signature.
            Last edited by roadnsky; 07-14-2011, 10:20 AM.
            -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
            sigpic
            1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Administrator
              MMI Webmaster
              • Oct 2004

I have an LED anchor light. It draws next to nothing, and is usually the brightest light in the anchorage. That, plus a distinctly bluish cast, makes it very easy to distinguish.

Bill

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

You & me both Bill...mine is still of the bluish hue as well, because I could not find a 'warm white' 360 degree BA-9 LED bulb. It is not technically USCG approved (although the Aquasignal Series 20 with the incandescent BA-9 bulb is). It draws 0.035 amps! I figure if the USCG wants to climb the stick and check the LED bulb, they are welcome to do so.

And, I do not know for sure, but I think it is like rigs & Bill T. said..the USCG writes the requirements/standards and the lighting manufacturer builds to those specs, but the CG doesn't actually "approve" them.

Not wired yet, but here is the stbd running light!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by sastanley; 07-14-2011, 12:22 PM.
                -Shawn
                "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

• Mo
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2007

This is what I have on the top of my stick. Seems to work well. I got it for $150 so that was a deal.

Mo

"Odyssey"
                  1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• sastanley
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2008

Those lopolights are real nice..but $$$
                    -Shawn
                    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                    sigpic

Comment

• TomG
                      Afourian MVP Emeritus
                      • Nov 2010

Shawn,

Could you post the source of those running lights? I have the same "shark eye" design and would love to upgrade the current incandescents.

Thanks!
                      Tom
                      "Patina"
                      1977 Tartan 30
                      Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• msmith10
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jun 2006

Shawn-- very nice job!
                        Mark Smith
                        1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• sastanley
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TomG View Post
                          Shawn,

Could you post the source of those running lights? I have the same "shark eye" design and would love to upgrade the current incandescents.

Thanks!
                          Tom, Sure...they are of course made in China, but are available from the "boaterbits" store on ebay. (the ebay prices are slightly cheaper!)

You can bypass the e-bay mayhem and use the website directly also. http://www.boaterbits.ca

A guy named Dave Bristow is the owner..I have purchased several things from him and his customer service has been great. They offer two slightly different sizes, so be sure to measure yours first. I got so lucky that the ones I purchased even have the screw holes in the same spot. I let Dave know my application and he said "those should fit great in your Catalina 30". I replaced mine because the screws had corroded so badly, I could no longer get the lens out to replace the bulb without major surgery..they actually worked for 3 seasons without touching them, & when the red one blew out, I got the new units.

They also offer the same traditional housing with a red & green lens & a red & green LED bulb behind the lens.
                          -Shawn
                          sigpic

Comment

• RNC725
                            • Aug 2010

you guys are tops

have had my 1967 Cal 30 with the original A4, runs great, I kwow still basically nothing but 100% more than I did a year ago!

Great tips here, advice, warnings, humor, ya'll speak straight, frankly and often, I appreciate all.

Come down to Ga for a free beer anytime, hot now though....

Bobby Centers
                            s/v COOL RUNNINGS
                            Augusta, GA

Comment

• Gordo
                              • Jul 2011

Here's a source for LED running lights that keep a "traditional" look on our older boats.

If you've never seen Duckworks, cruise around a bit. A true chandelier, mostly for us crazy boat builders, but lots of cool stuff at good prices.
                              My "other" Boat:

sigpic

Comment

• Mo
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Jun 2007

Guys,

We had a discussion on Lights in this thread. I was pretty sure I had one of the best things on the go....not quite!

I had posted earlier that I have LOPOLIGHT tri-light / with anchor light on the mast. It was an $800 light at the time of purchase and life expectancy was 50,000 hrs. It didn't last 50 hrs of usage. Lopolight is replacing the light free of charge but the mast has been down for the past week waiting for it.

FWIW...next time I'll buy what is local, and with parts that can be had the same day. Sometimes we can be lured by promises of "never having to deal with that again".
                                Mo

"Odyssey"
                                1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

Working...
                                X