• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Originally posted by HOTFLASH View Post
    How is my wiring not sufficient--I did not understand this from Neil
    What I was referring to was the suggestion you take the power supply from the IGN terminal on the ignition switch. The purple wire connected to that terminal on the switch is also connected to the coil positive terminal. It would be very tempting to grab the power from the coil rather than run a separate wire to the ign switch. Here's the problem with that temptation though: the purple wire going from the switch to the coil is 14 gauge and the yellow/red wire for the solenoid - that which you are duplicating with the remote start button - is 12 gauge according to the Moyer diagram. The larger gauge wire is to handle higher amperage. It's generally bad form to reduce the wire size from the specification.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• HalcyonS
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
      Hotflash, just for an idea of my set here is a fairly recent pic of my 42 year old beastie. I have an arrow pointing to the ~ remore start switch ~ Ign box ~ ignition resistor ~ oil filter ~ water strainer ~ cooling bypass valve ~ and my favorite the fuel preassure guage & shut off valve.

Dave Neptune [ATTACH]5916[/ATTACH]
      Nice pic but mine came without 'arrows'
      "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.

Comment

• stalemate
        Frequent Contributor
        • Jan 2008

ignition switch on

Hello y'all,

I've read and understand the wiring of a remote starter. It would definitely help working solo. Bu is there a way to wire in the "on" switch from the cockpit so you dont have to 1. go to cockpit 2. turn key to on 3. go back inside use remote. 4 return to cockpit to turn key off.

It sure would be nice to wire in something that duplicates the "on" position so all can be taken care off from inside to do troubleshooting and/or maintenance.

Thanks

Comment

• Rod Worrell
          • Oct 2004

Fuel Pump On?

When we turn our keyed ignition to "on" only, noy yet all the way over to atually start the engine, our electric fuel pump comes on. I would expect this to be the correct sequence, but none of the above comments made any reference to the electric fuel pump coming on and bringing gas to the engine (or at least ready to supply more if already primed). Seems that this would be important to know so there aren't any fuel-related surprises when the igition switch is only turned to "on". Any thoughts?

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Nov 2008

Rod
            The electric fuel pump should not operate unless the key is in the on position and the engine is running and the oil pressure is up. This is accomplished by a pressure sensitive switch that closes when the oil pressure is up. This switch is referred to as the "oil pressure safety switch" or OPSS. On your boat is there a lead that goes from the electric fuel pump to a terminal on the OPSS? The typical wiring sceme is coil + to the OPSS then from the OPSS to the fuel pump. Is your OPSS missing, shorted across, or bypassed? My guess is that someone wired from the key directly to the fuel pump and bypassed the OPSS. The OPSS is required by Coast Guard regs.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Rod Worrell
              • Oct 2004

John, thanks for the important clarification. While what I described has been how we have always been since 1999 when we acquired her, now we have another new project! Next time down at Dixie I will trace the various wires accordingly. Sounds like I'm about to do a wiring correction, though.

Comment

• romantic comedy
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2007

Mary, in case you can get to the starter terminals, you can also jump the terminals with a screwdriver.

Comment

• chapster5
                  • Aug 2014

I have read thru this thread as I am about to do this. If I have my ignition switch in the on position if I pulled the the Plug wire( the one from my Distributor to coil ) would that prevent me from damaging my coil ??

Just wondering ?? Trying to keep things simple.

thanks, Chapster5

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • Jan 2007

No, you need to disconnect the positive feed to de-energize the coil. The remote start switch will not need the key to be on to spin the engine.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

What he said - unless you want the engine to start, leave the ignition off.
                      Joe Della Barba
                      Coquina
                      C&C 35 MK I
                      Maryland USA

Comment

• chapster5
                        • Aug 2014

Thanks for the replies, you boy's answered my question.

thanks, Chapster5

Comment

Working...
                        X