X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

the sensor would have to fit tight, in order for it to stay put. It sounds like the sensor is not tolerant of much variance in the cam size. I suppose ever sensor of this type would be an interference fit.

After hearing of failures, I am suspecting that the sensor is not up to the job.

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

No

Neil..no..there is no opening in the EI plate to allow removal without pulling the collar as well. It is simply a hole in the plate to slide over the shaft.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• ArtJ
        • Sep 2009

I heated the second one after having broke a first one that was not heated.
        Neither would fit on the shaft if not heated. I also have a module on my
        working engine on the boat which went on easily.
        On the spare engine Cleaning and lubricating the shaft did not help. It was simply a mismatch
        in diameters on the spare engine.

Since the "normal old fashioned rotor" never went down that far on the shaft it might be possible that sometimes the
        factory didn't worry about finishing the deeper portion of the shaft as closely. It certainly couldn't be due to wear since that would make the diameter smaller, not bigger

I cleaned up the shaft -corrosion and crud build up were not the issue.
        Last edited by ArtJ; 08-06-2014, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• Don Moyer
          • Oct 2004

Delco Distributor shaft tolerances

Art,
          Happily, other than the problem you had several years ago which required warming your magnetic ring during installation, we have received very few other reports of magnetic rings breaking as your first one did. None the less, we are moving on your suggestion to modify our instructions to include the use of a hair dryer to warm the magnetic ring in cases where more than gentle tapping is required to seat the ring to a proper depth. This addition should alleviate what few problems may otherwise occur in the future.

In a related matter, I need to correct an apparent misunderstanding I conveyed to you in one of our conversations several years to the affect that we had discovered a problem with factory tolerances in the dimensions of Delco distributor shafts.

Distributor cams do wear over time, so it's understandable that a magnetic ring could fit more snugly when installed on a very low time distributor shaft, and more loosely on a high time engine. However, we have never identified these variations as an indication that any Delco distributor shafts were somehow out of tolerance. In fact, where differences do exist in the fit of magnetic rings, I would be more inclined to suspect that the manufacturing tolerances in the magnetic rings would be a more likely cause factor than the distributor rotor. But again, your suggested addition to our instructions should head off any issues with magnetic ring installation in the future. Don
          Last edited by Administrator; 08-06-2014, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• ArtJ
            • Sep 2009

Don

That ignitor module was shipped to me in February of this year 2014.
            I was billed for a replacement as I was told it was a shaft problem.
            Order 14-25641 The replacement was order 16400. I was billed for both
            the original and the replacement

Best Regards

Comment

• Administrator
              MMI Webmaster
              • Oct 2004

Hmmm.

I think Don told me that the magnetic rings for Prestolite, Delco and Pertronix distributors are all different from one another.

We really don't have good numbers on how often the breakage problem has happened in the field, but Don did tell me that in the hundreds of Prestolite and Delco distributors MMI has rebuilt, they've never had one crack.

Bill

Comment

• ArtJ
                • Sep 2009

Bill there have been other instances:

Shawn had one crack

Both the original I bought from Don cracked and the replacement
                would have cracked if it was not heated.

Best Regards

BTW The one I previously installed on my other- in the boat engine ( this was a spare engine went on readily.

There may have been a tolerance issue with the batch both of the February modules. I still have both of them
                the cracked one and the heated and installed one. I would be happy to supply the cracked one for tolerance
                checking
                Last edited by ArtJ; 08-06-2014, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Any reason Moyer is not shipping the newer version of the Ignitor?
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Dec 2008

I have Prestolite distributor...just sayin'?

Comment

Working...
                    X