• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • itsthatClaydude
    • Mar 2015

No start, cranking with smoke spurts

Hi all,

Trying to start A4 that overheated a year ago. Was cranking previously without this sputerring and now the more I crank the worse it has become. Blowing smoke into flame arrestor and out of exhaust where I disconnected from manifold. Does it look like pull and rebuild?

Thanks,
    Clay
  • 67c&ccorv
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Firstly - do you have the MMI motor manual?

Secondly - is the boat in the water - if it is don't crank the motor over with the water intake open for very long.

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Clay,
      You'll have to remind me what you've done to the engine in the past year. What have you had apart?
      I'd certainly check compression. Perhaps a valve hung open?
      If that's good, I'd check the ignition timing. Points opening at the right time, wires going to the right plugs, good spark.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Not Very Common But Easy To Check

Look inside the distributor cap for bridging and arcing between terminals.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• itsthatClaydude
          • Mar 2015

Hi,
          Thanks for the replies. Will look for MMI motor manual. Have A4 manual found online. Did crank some with intake open to see if water was discharged, but closed now. What would happen if stayed open and is there a way to tell if that is a problem? Didn't do anything to engine until now with trying to start since the stall last year. Was on the hard getting bottom done. Replaced coil, distributor cap and rotor, plug wires, points and plugs and gapped to spec. Checked compression is each cylinder above 90. Have good spark from coil and at #1 plug. New boat to me so learning my way around. Also, forgot to mention checked that fuel is coming from electronic fuel pump, and pulled card and flushed with clean gas.
          Last edited by itsthatClaydude; 03-22-2015, 07:04 PM. Reason: add more info

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by itsthatClaydude View Post
            Hi,
            Thanks for the replies. Will look for MMI motor manual. Have A4 manual found online. Did crank some with intake open to see if water was discharged, but closed now. What would happen if stayed open and is there a way to tell if that is a problem? Didn't do anything to engine until now with trying to start since the stall last year. Was on the hard getting bottom done. Replaced coil, distributor cap and rotor, plug wires, points and plugs and gapped to spec. Checked compression is each cylinder above 90. Have good spark from coil and at #1 plug. New boat to me so learning my way around. Also, forgot to mention checked that fuel is coming from electronic fuel pump, and pulled card and flushed with clean gas.
            It's a little late now but see if you can check whether the engine oil has been contaminated with water...you should be able to see it on the dipstick.

Comment

• redtim
              • Mar 2015

Been checking that consistently through all this, oil at the dipstick is clean.
              '74 Ericson 27 "Charge!"

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Jan 2007

Clay, if you have compression, spark (did you check??) and fuel all the is left is the timing of the spark(s all 4 in proper order)and it should run.
                Confirm spark and firing order. Did you move the distributer when changing its points and condenser? Make sure the wires are in order. Try starting and if no joy THEN it will be time to look at the fuel/carb scenario.

Do one step at a time as it will not be to bad a job at all.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
                X