X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedDog
    • Sep 2023

My A4 in Ericson 35 sailboat

Just got a used propeller. It is an Austral 2 blade 12” right hand 10” pitch. I’m hoping this will work out well.
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Do you have a reduction gear on your A4?

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

RedDog, I actually tried the same prop on my E-35. It worked OK in the harbor or a very calm sea with little wind. But because it limited the RPM's so much I had very little power available when needed. I tried having it pitched back to 8 inches and that actually did little to help as I only gained about 100 RPM's and still hopelessly lacking in reserve power. I don't think that the prop shop did a very good job either. I tried various props over the years and was never satisfied until I came across the Indigo prop. I gained over 600 RPM's which yielded a lot more power for cruising and when the weather got nasty. I even gained in fuel economy too. I had the E35 MkII for 34 years and the last 12 years with the Indigo I never sought for a better prop. My racing of which I did little showed gains in speed sailing and rating. With the small footprint of the Indigo and the 3 blade rating I moved to the front of the fleet and even won some trophies.
      Dave Neptune

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Dave is right. For direct drive the Indigo is best.

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

+1 - I had an Indigo on my C-30 direct drive... Did not notice any difference in drag when sailing, but it made the motor MUCH happier when motoring.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X