X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • captainmurph
    • Jan 2013

Fuel Consumption Poll

I'm planning a long trip and need to come up with a fairly accurate guestimate of my fuel consumption and estimate range.

I haven't carefully calibrated this on recent trips since I had some sailing, some motorsailing and little prolonged motoring. I would estimate (hopefully on the conservative side) .9 gallons per hour at a normal 1200-1500 rpm cruise.

My boat, as operated, likely weighs in at 9000-10,000 lbs. I have a 2-bladed, non-feathering prop.

Any of you with comparable sized boats: What is your estimate on your A-4's fuel consumption (Gallons Per Hour)?
    Greg Murphy
    S/V Amalia
    1965 Cal 30
    Muskegon, MI
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

I'd plan on 1 GPH and not be surprised if it ended up closer to 3/4 GPH. One GPH makes the math easy and doing better than the estimate is emotionally uplifting. The error will be to your benefit.

If, for example, you went the other way and estimated 3/4 GPH and actually consumed 0.9 GPH you'd be in a funk. Who wants that?
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Marian Claire
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2007

A few years back I tried to keep track of fuel consumption. I was heading south on the ICW. I motor sailed, jib only, as much as I could. Also the currents work for you and against you. Plus I use a marked stick as my fuel gauge. So FWIW my consumption ran from .6 GPH to 1 GPH. IIRC. I do not have my log with me. I did use the adjustable main jet to lean out the mix before the trip. Having said all that I use the same approach as ndutton for an estimate. 1 GPH.Then monitor fuel level daily and adjust my fuel stops accordingly. Do remember to not use the full capacity of your tank in your math. My tank can hold 35+ gallons but I use 30 to allow for what is below the pickup tube.
      Dan S/V Marian Claire
      Edit: The MC is heavier and I have the 2 to 1 reduction so my RPM is higher but the load on the A-4, vacuum gauge reading, may be close to what you have???
      Last edited by Marian Claire; 12-16-2014, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

What's your fuel capacity Murph? How many tanks?
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California

Comment

• romantic comedy
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

I ran the ICW and got 1 statute mile to a gallon of gas. I always use MMO also.

This was on my Tartan 34, 12000 pounds, just launched clean bottom. Indigo prop, 6 kn, 2000 rpm. Some current helped, some hurt.

Comment

• captainmurph
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
            What's your fuel capacity Murph? How many tanks?
            Right now, it is only 20 gallons and, due to the range I'll need heading down the rivers next summer, I'll either have to install another tank or refuel with 20L Jerry Cans strapped to a board and lifeline stanchions.

Even with my WM discount, it'll cost over $100. for four new Jerry Cans, vs about $350. for another 25 gallon tank, deck fill, 2-tank valve and plumbing.

I kind of like the idea of having a new tank, but love the idea of gas-freeing the 20L cans and storing in the lazarrette when I don't need them.

I agree that estimating 1 gph is pretty safe. I need to have a 250 mile range from Hoppie's on the Mississippi to Kentucky Dam Marina on Kentucky Lake (Tennessee River).

It seems that 35 or 40 gallons is still pretty tight - although I'm going downstream for all but about 35 miles on the Ohio.

I may have to consider adding a tank and carrying Jerry Cans!

Murph
            Last edited by captainmurph; 12-16-2014, 03:03 PM.
            Greg Murphy
            S/V Amalia
            1965 Cal 30
            Muskegon, MI

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

I have run the ICW (and back) seven times in the last 19 years and have developed fairly accurate fuel consumption data. .9 gal/hr is a good figure to work with. In my case this includes a lot of running on the hook to maintain batteries while cooking with a 1600 watt toaster oven (I have two inverters including a 2500 watt unit); hence my "steaming" consumption may be down around .75 gal/hr. FWIW, adding a fuel ratio gauge (oxygen sensor activated) and an adjustable main jet gives you the ability to "dial it in"; also helps keep you burning clean.

Comment

• Marian Claire
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2007

"I kind of like the idea of having a new tank, but love the idea of gas-freeing the 20L cans and storing in the lazarrette when I don't need them".
                I have used Jerry cans for years. I have never stored them below even when "empty". Always on deck and I made a simple sunbrella cover to slow down the UV breakdown.
                Dan S/V Marian Claire
                Last edited by Marian Claire; 12-16-2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• captainmurph
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Marian Claire View Post
                  "I have used Jerry cans for years. I have never stored them below even when "empty". Always on deck and I made a simple sunbrella cover to slow down the UV breakdown.
                  Dan S/V Marian Claire
                  Funny you should mention that. I'm in the process of making four zippered bags for a customer that wants to UV shield his Jerry Cans. I had planned on making them for me as well!
                  Greg Murphy
                  S/V Amalia
                  1965 Cal 30
                  Muskegon, MI

Comment

• Mo
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2007

Hi Murph,
                    I have a C&C 30 with a 3 blade non-folding michigan prop 12 / 6 pitch. I get 3/4 of a gallon motoring at 5.5 to 6 kts in relatively calm seas. Let's say waves and swells consistent in open ocean with wind up to 15 kts. If I have sea and wind on the nose in the 15 to 30 kt range, consumption is more like 1 gallon an hour. That would be with the boat loaded (over 11,000 lbs) with clean bottom and clean prop.

The 3 blade prop might make a difference as it will indeed help keep the boat moving forward in heavier weather. This past summer we motored through Sambro Channel and a Hunter Vision 32 couldn't do it with her 30 hp diesel and two blade prop...they were getting stopped by waves. There were actually two diesels that headed into Sambro Harbor because they couldn't keep enough way on and were taking a beating.

So, from my experience on my boat, I think you should bank on using 1 gallon an hour. That is with the carb set up just right, not too rich, not too lean, good plugs, wires etc etc.

In conditions in below video, I'm 1 gallon an hour and making 4 to 4.4 kts if memory serves me correctly. Once I get the wind off the nose, and not driving straight into it, the speed and mileage improves.
                    [YOUTUBE]q7rJN8YAvxA[/YOUTUBE]
                    Last edited by Mo; 12-16-2014, 08:34 PM.
                    Mo

"Odyssey"
                    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                    The optimist expects it to change.
                    The realist adjusts the sails.
                    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

If you decide to go with a second below deck tank

. . . we need to talk.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California

Comment

• Mo
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                        . . . we need to talk.
                        Oh yes, you do have dual tanks.
                        Mo

"Odyssey"
                        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                        The optimist expects it to change.
                        The realist adjusts the sails.
                        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• roadnsky
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Dec 2008

Want some good advice?...

Go with dual tanks AND talk with Cap'n Neil about it.
                          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                          sigpic
                          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

OK, I've learned back channel that the addition of a second tank is being considered. We had a discussion of my dual tank system a while back including the ability to transfer and polish fuel from one tank to another.

For starters here is the thread where we talked it up, system drawing is in post #29.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Mar 2010

After multiple runs down and back on the ICW I learned a few things about fuel that I'll share with you. FWIW, as always. First, if you lash a bunch of fuel jugs on deck, in addition to the obvious issues with safety and seaworthiness, you are going to look like exactly what you are - a "floater". The ability to blend in with the locals becomes especially valuable as you get into Florida where transients are viewed askance. I finally ended up with three "built in" fuel tanks, one of which is removable. It is important to be able to fetch fuel apart from marine fuel docks (good example, South Mills lock). But of course the installation must meet USCG standards. Same discussion applies to water. In both fuel and water, there is no such thing as too much capacity. Again, FWIW.

Comment

Working...
                              X