X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 13jeff13
    • Jan 2011

A Case For Replacing the Freeze Plugs

Although these freeze plugs are hardy enough to out live these engines, and myself,, Getting to the crud behind them is worth the price of new ones. I spent a good hour digging around in the exhaust manifold with a coat hanger and rinsing in the sink with water and thought I had made some real progress. Then I removed the drain plug and it was solid with crud. SO,, I decided to take out the Freeze Plugs and here is what I found.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 13jeff13; 04-07-2011, 09:11 PM.
    With Powerboats, it's about the destination. With Sailboats, you are already there.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
    1973 Grampian 30', Full Keel, A4 aux.
    sigpic
  • 13jeff13
    • Jan 2011

Cleaning out the exhaust manifold...

I'm currently soaking the inside with vinegar, as I head out to get some Calcium and Lime remover from the dollar store,, Generic CLR.

The plugs in the Engine and head seem to be just as solid as these,,, so I don't plan on removing them, as they were no where near as packed with crud as the exhaust manifold.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 13jeff13; 04-07-2011, 09:07 PM.
    With Powerboats, it's about the destination. With Sailboats, you are already there.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
    sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Jeff...great pics.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Good find. Now take it a step further and replace the freeze plugs with 3/4" NPT brass plugs.
        Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• ILikeRust
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by 13jeff13 View Post
          Although these freeze plugs are hardy enough to out live these engines, and myself,, Getting to the crud behind them is worth the price of new ones. I spent a good hour digging around in the exhaust manifold with a coat hanger and rinsing in the sink with water and thought I had made some real progress. Then I removed the drain plug and it was solid with crud. SO,, I decided to take out the Freeze Plugs and here is what I found.
          Oh s#!&. I really wish you hadn't shown me that.

I spent a bunch of time flushing out my manifold and digging around with a coat hanger. I also filled it with muriatic acid and let it sit for a while and flushed it out. I got a fair amount of stuff out, and had a good flow of water through it, but did not remove the freeze plugs. And then I painted it all pretty. The last thing I want to do now is tear out those plugs. I would have to clean it all up and re-paint it again...
          - Bill T.
          - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• 13jeff13
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
            Good find. Now take it a step further and replace the freeze plugs with 3/4" NPT brass plugs.
            Great Idea,, I believe I will.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
            sigpic

Comment

• 13jeff13
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ILikeRust View Post
              Oh s#!&. I really wish you hadn't shown me that.

I spent a bunch of time flushing out my manifold and digging around with a coat hanger. I also filled it with muriatic acid and let it sit for a while and flushed it out. I got a fair amount of stuff out, and had a good flow of water through it, but did not remove the freeze plugs. And then I painted it all pretty. The last thing I want to do now is tear out those plugs. I would have to clean it all up and re-paint it again...
              I think my engine had a hard life. The PO had tried to do some upgrades,, but I don't think they ever dug in elbow deep,, and since I"M HERE<< You know,,, Why Not. I almost quit with just the hangar method,,But since I got the plugs out, I just keep getting more and more crud,, Thick chunky stuff too,, I Now Plan a MAJOR clean up of the whole exhaust system,, No Telling how packed it will be. It looks new though,, perhaps a failed attempt at a mystery overheating problem. ,, I believe I found that cause. Poor Water Flow.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
              sigpic

Comment

• BryanLee
                • Jun 2008

Odd thought.. how possible would it be to gauge the amount of crud inside by the volume of water it will hold? IE, once it is nice and clean, fill it with water, poor out the water and measure it. Then others could do the same, and if the amount of water it will hold is much less, they will know it is still full of crud and they should pull the freeze plugs??

I'm not sure if it would be accurate enough, or if the variations in the casting process would make them all to different for this to be of use, I'm just thinking through the keyboard here as I do not want to pull the freeze plugs in the manifold, but now I am wondering if I should, or if there is a way to tell beforehand if I should...

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Wouldn't one of those IR thermometers indicate obstructed flow? Totally non-contact and non-destructive.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Mo
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2007

Hi Jeff.

Look at pressure testing the manifold following installation of the new frost plugs as well.

I realize you removed them as a precaution and their replacement is not the result of inadequate winterization. That said, I do believe that there are numerous fractured / ruptured manifolds every spring due to using R/V antifreeze to winterize the engine. Rust corrodes the inner wall over the years and it may not withstand any expansion / pressure.

It is my sincere belief that come fall we should be advising afourians to winterize those engines with 50/50 automotive antifreeze...anything less, in my humble opinion, is just playing Russian Roulette.

Everyone have a great weekend.
                    Mo

"Odyssey"
                    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                    The optimist expects it to change.
                    The realist adjusts the sails.
                    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ILikeRust
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by 13jeff13 View Post
                      I think my engine had a hard life. The PO had tried to do some upgrades,, but I don't think they ever dug in elbow deep,, and since I"M HERE<< You know,,, Why Not. I almost quit with just the hangar method,,But since I got the plugs out, I just keep getting more and more crud,, Thick chunky stuff too
                      If it was in your manifold, it's likely in yer block, too...

I got a bunch of greasy, gooey, gritty crud out of the block - a lot of stuff - and also a bunch out of the head. Not as much out of the manifold.

I feel pretty confident I got everything out now and all the water passages are as clear as they possibly can get at this point.
                      - Bill T.
                      - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• 13jeff13
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by BryanLee View Post
                        Odd thought.. how possible would it be to gauge the amount of crud inside by the volume of water it will hold? IE, once it is nice and clean, fill it with water, poor out the water and measure it. Then others could do the same, and if the amount of water it will hold is much less, they will know it is still full of crud and they should pull the freeze plugs??

I'm not sure if it would be accurate enough, or if the variations in the casting process would make them all to different for this to be of use, I'm just thinking through the keyboard here as I do not want to pull the freeze plugs in the manifold, but now I am wondering if I should, or if there is a way to tell beforehand if I should...
                        Great Idea,, a little too late for before Volume,, BUT I will take a measurement of the After Volume for any who may want to check theirs out.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                        sigpic

Comment

• 13jeff13
                          • Jan 2011

Roto Rooter

After letting her sit the day away with CLR, a calcium, lime and rust remover product, I devised a home made Roto Rooter device I will be attaching to my drill to see if I can get any extra junk out. It is actually a drain cleaner, tightly coiled spring,, that will spin around inside there. It would be nice to see a cross section view of what exactly is suppose to be open inside there.

Anyone Ever Cut One Open?

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                          sigpic

Comment

• 13jeff13
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ILikeRust View Post
                            If it was in your manifold, it's likely in yer block, too...

I got a bunch of greasy, gooey, gritty crud out of the block - a lot of stuff - and also a bunch out of the head. Not as much out of the manifold.

I feel pretty confident I got everything out now and all the water passages are as clear as they possibly can get at this point.
                            Yep,, I took the Block and Head to the car wash and gave it a good flushing out. They are visible enough to see they are clear, the manifold though, just has too small of openings to be certain.
                            Last edited by 13jeff13; 04-12-2011, 01:35 AM.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                            sigpic

Comment

• jpian0923
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2010

We have now discovered a "6th" spark plug on Hanley's engine!
                              Attached Files
                              "Jim"
                              S/V "Ahoi"
                              1967 Islander 29
                              Harbor Island, San Diego
                              2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

Working...
                              X