One for the books - first time A4 owner - Pulling Hair!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rando1201
    • Apr 2020

Thanks guys, yea you're probably right. Ok another thing to fix. It does look like old galvanized plumbers pipe. I'll go find a place to get some black iron and replace it. Everyone, thanks for your help.

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

For sure, if you are in an area to get the supplies it takes half a day to gear it up. Take care on the cast iron if you need to heat and remove studs. That whole manifold should come out of the boat with the pipe on it...it does on mine although tight. I cut the hose, buy a new one and remove the 3 nuts holding the manifold on the block. Move it to the side and pull the whole thing into the boat with exhaust on it. Make sure you have a good riser...no short cuts, no straight run...look at what you have and if that was working well replace it to a tee. More problems are created due to incorrect exhaust than you can shake a stick at.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

If you will be working with fiberglass wrap wear a pair of disposable coveralls and a hat. Fiberglass will make you ITCH. DAMHIK.

EX TRUE GRIT

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

If you suffer the fiberglass itch, remedies are a hot shower, as hot as you can stand it and Bonne Bell Ten-0-Six Deep Pore Cleanser.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• HOTFLASH
            • Oct 2004

fiberglass wrap removal

Also glasses and gloves. And of course you have a mask these days, right? You do not want any in you eyes, hands or lungs.

Mary
            HotFlash

Comment

• ronstory
              Afourian MVP
              • Feb 2016

... and not all heat wrap is the same. Modern stuff is much less itchy than the "classic" heat wrap variety.

This is what I used and was a night and day comparison to rewrap I did with the typical stuff from the local yard 3 years ago.

IMO, I also think the above wrap looks better plus I used these stainless straps for attachment.

Amazing deals on this 25Pk Cable Ties 12In Stainless Steel at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

YMMV, don't be itchy and good luck.
              Thanks,
              Ron
              Portland, OR

Comment

• Peter
                Afourian MVP
                • Jul 2016

Originally posted by ronstory View Post
                ... and not all heat wrap is the same. Modern stuff is much less itchy than the "classic" heat wrap variety.
                This is a good point. I tries some cheap stuff from amazon and it was simply awful - it gave off a very unpleasant odour which I was hoping would go away.

One of my kids finally told me that I either changed the wrap or they stopped coming sailing. Got the good stuff (our host sells it) and problem solved.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Comment

• ronstory
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Feb 2016

RC

Cool! I have never seen heat wrap with the foil backing before. Had I know, I would have used that, since the foil will be even better at keeping the particulates at bay.
                  Last edited by ronstory; 01-22-2021, 12:20 PM. Reason: typo, always typos
                  Thanks,
                  Ron
                  Portland, OR

Comment

• romantic comedy
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by ronstory View Post
                    RC

Cool! I have never seen heat wrap with the foil backing before. Had I know, I would have used that, since the foil will be even better at keeping the particulates at bay.
                    That insulation I have pictured does not have foil backing. It is just woven fiberglass. (I think 2 inches wide) It stays together pretty well. After 10 years the exhaust failed and I made a new one. About half the original wrap was usable.

Comment

• Rando1201
                      • Apr 2020

Here's a pic of the exhaust.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X