33-1 Genoa track chainplate cover things (removal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwalters
    • Sep 2008

33-1 Genoa track chainplate cover things (removal)

Greetings,
    On my 33-1 there are a couple of chain plates to both port and starboard that appear to hold the deck down along the Genoa tracks to bulkheads below. There is a stainless steel square cap above each that fastens to the deck with four screws. Some of these screws no longer bight into anything and I wanted to remove the caps, fill the holes, drill out, rebed, and reattach. I figured that when I removed the screws the things would just fall off, but no. Any idea how to remove these stainless steel caps?
    Ken
    Ken
    C&C 33-1 '75
  • msmith10
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2006

I've got a friend with a 33-1 I'll be seeing this weekend. I'll see if I can find out for you.
    Mark Smith
    1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• msmith10
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2006

I took a look at the plates today- I think they're an integral part of the tie-down piece. They're solid stainless, not just caps, and I suspect the only way to remove them is to remove the "chainplate" from below. I'll get aboard his boat tomorrow and get a better look.
      Mark Smith

Comment

• msmith10
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2006

Ken,
        I was correct. The tie-down is T-shaped. The plate at the top is integral to the piece. Remove them by removing the bulkhead thrubolts then remove the screws going into the deck, then lift them out thru the deck. You're going to want to treat them just like the chainplates- remove any bad core from around the slotted opening, fill with epoxy, replace the tie-down, then caulk.
        Mark Smith

Comment

Working...
        X