Reversing Gear Adjusting Collar Will Not Turn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dearbhail
    • Nov 2011

Reversing Gear Adjusting Collar Will Not Turn?

I'm having a problem adjusting the fwd reversing gear on my 1970 A4. The initial problem is clutch slippage in FWD. While trying to remedy this i find (while in neutral) that the adjusting collar (that adjusts the clutch) will only turn a 1/2 notch in the clockwise direction (and that is only by using a screw driver and block off wood as a lever). I have not tried to turn counter-clockwise direction. (I have noticed that even when in neutral the shaft turns slowly) I'm following the manual and have scoured the forums. They previous owner (user name in the forum: s/v dearbhail) doesn't seem to think the clutch is at the end of its usefull life. And suggest: " It’s more likely it’s rusted and stuck in place." I need a little help.
    V/R Wesley Slade
  • jpian0923
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2010

Watch this video. It may give you an idea of what you need to do.
    Pay attention to the job of the adjusting collar. Might give insight to what is causing yours not to turn. I'm thinking that the fingers are preventing the nut from turning in. If that's the case, try pressing the fingers inward, toward the tailshaft.

[YOUTUBE]K4CCzYqctv0[/YOUTUBE]
    "Jim"
    S/V "Ahoi"
    1967 Islander 29
    Harbor Island, San Diego
    2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• jpian0923
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2010

Another thought...If you can compress the pressure plate against the clutches, you might have a better chance at turning the adjusting nut inward (clockwise).

You might be able to do this with your lever you used to try to turn the nut.
      "Jim"
      S/V "Ahoi"
      1967 Islander 29
      Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• Laker
        • Sep 2010

Dearbhail -

Regarding the shaft turning while in neutral : I had that problem for a long time. After consulting this forum I learned that one must pay close attention to the shifter position while in neutral. There is no detent for neutral ; there is lots of travel between fwd and reverse. Real neutral is way back in that range of travel - just before the initial engagement of reverse.
        Good luck on your clutch. CK
        1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• Dearbhail
          • Nov 2011

Got it!

I shifted slightly in reverse and she freed right up. My brother was making the adjustment and, of course, he lost track of the original collar position. Now it takes slightly more effort than I think it should to get into the fwd detent. Should I back the collar off one notch or will this be ok? Also there is a vibration associated with having it in gear. The prop is clean (allegedly) and the shaft seal is dripping a little water. Should I be concerned with some vibration? V/R Wes Slade

Comment

• jpian0923
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2010

Mine is hard to get into forward also. That is normal.

Vibration might be engine alignment issue. I think everyone has some vibration though.
            "Jim"
            S/V "Ahoi"
            1967 Islander 29
            Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• Ball Racing
              Afourian MVP
              • Jul 2011

Make sure motor mount bolts are tight.
              Tyring to keep the Bay's Wooden Boat's history from dying off completely.
              Daniel

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

Wes, I find that when I just start to hear it whine, that is 'neutral'.

And I have to 'yank' it out of the detent when taking it out of gear.

There should not be vibration..maybe you need to check alignment...Ball Racing's step comes first..make sure the mounts are all in good order and have not moved the engine around. If you get to a point and are ready to check the alignment, we have lots of experience around here.
                -Shawn
                "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X