Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 69.204.29.189
Old 07-08-2022, 09:23 AM

how do you drain the bowl on a new carburetor?

purchased and installed a new carb from mmi a few years ago.

i note that in various places Don suggests we drain that bowl if any moisture / contamination is suspected.

i'd like to..but there is no plug or drain installed on the bottom of the bowl...so do i have to drill and tap one? i'm highly reluctant to mess with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to keithems For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (07-09-2022)
  #2   IP: 162.245.50.230
Old 07-08-2022, 09:34 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
The "drain plug" is the cover for the main jet at the bottom front of the bowl.

Dave Neptune
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Neptune For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (07-08-2022)
  #3   IP: 69.204.29.189
Old 07-08-2022, 01:05 PM

i'm not seeing anything i can remove to drain the bowl like on the carbs i had previously

it's one of them new models....has 5 bolts holding the upper and lower halves together..the older ones i have only have 4

mine has a fixed main jet, not adjustable

can u send a pix or diagram?

Last edited by keithems; 07-08-2022 at 01:10 PM.
TimBSmith (07-09-2022)
  #4   IP: 69.204.29.189
Old 07-08-2022, 01:33 PM

ok -- i'm seeing the "main passage plug", which is removable....is that what you're referring to?

the hole above it is much smaller than the drain hole is on the older carbs with the drain hole on the bottom..
TimBSmith (07-09-2022)
  #5   IP: 69.204.29.189
Old 07-08-2022, 01:51 PM

and now i remember why i'm reluctant to remove it....getting a replacement gasket is very difficult....i'm on my last one now...

and my carb runs very rich as is -- maybe some air is getting through that old gasket? to get a smooth idle the idle screw has to be almost all the way in..half turn out at the most...any other ideas? or any sources to suggest for a replacement gasket? i don't think moyer parts sells them separately..
TimBSmith (07-09-2022)
  #6   IP: 209.6.152.28
Old 07-08-2022, 06:33 PM
Afourian MVP

I have the same carb as you...

The main passage plug gasket is part of the service kit I used.

https://moyermarine.com/product/carb...-kit-fcar_594/

There is some history of the main bowl gasket not being seated flush and permitting air to bleed into the carb. The main bowl gasket is in this kit as well.

When I remove the main passage plug I rarely pull it all the way off just to keep from having the gasket pushed out or displaced. Just screw to last couple of threads seems to do it to test for flow and drain bowl.

Best with your trouble shooting.
1974, Number 572
Boston, MA USA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimBSmith For This Useful Post:
keithems (07-09-2022), wagner (07-08-2022)
  #7   IP: 69.204.29.189
Old 07-08-2022, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBSmith View Post
The main passage plug gasket is part of the service kit I used.

https://moyermarine.com/product/carb...-kit-fcar_594/

There is some history of the main bowl gasket not being seated flush and permitting air to bleed into the carb. The main bowl gasket is in this kit as well.

When I remove the main passage plug I rarely pull it all the way off just to keep from having the gasket pushed out or displaced. Just screw to last couple of threads seems to do it to test for flow and drain bowl.

Best with your trouble shooting.
RIGHT -- so mmi makes you buy the entire carb rebuild kit to get the one silly little gasket...such a ripoff..i found a smiilar gasket at west marine...it's for hte mercury mercruiser....don't have the pkg here but if anyone wants to get one, let me konw and i'll send you the part #

sorry -- dyslexic and this site has no speell checker..so deal with it

or click on this:

https://www.moyermarineforum.com/for...ead.php?t=4547

Last edited by keithems; 07-08-2022 at 09:31 PM.
TimBSmith (07-09-2022)
  #8   IP: 104.174.83.118
Old 07-08-2022, 11:27 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
How long since your carburetor was last rebuilt?
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
The Following User Says Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (07-09-2022)
  #9   IP: 69.204.29.189
Old 07-09-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithems View Post
RIGHT -- so mmi makes you buy the entire carb rebuild kit to get the one silly little gasket...such a ripoff..i found a smiilar gasket at west marine...it's for hte mercury mercruiser....don't have the pkg here but if anyone wants to get one, let me konw and i'll send you the part #

sorry -- dyslexic and this site has no speell checker..so deal with it

or click on this:

I DON'T HAVE A MAIN BOWL GASKET..NO DRAIN ON THE BOTTOM

only the main passage plug -- where the fixed main jet is...whcih can be used to drain the main bowl, except then that gasket has to be replaced and is not availalbe by it self.

thanks for the suggestion to just loosen it to drain...which i will do it the future...
TimBSmith (07-09-2022)
  #10   IP: 69.204.29.189
Old 07-09-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
How long since your carburetor was last rebuilt?
never -- got it new from MMI about 2-3 years ago...

and i've rebuilt carbs enough in the past to learn to live by the letters: D F W I
TimBSmith (07-09-2022)
  #11   IP: 104.174.83.118
Old 07-09-2022, 10:16 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
never -- got it new from MMI about 2-3 years ago..
I may be at the other end of the spectrum preferring to rebuild mine annually as a regular maintenance item but I believe it contributes significantly to my engine running reliably for 17 years. That, and I don't maintain my engine with outboard or lawn mower parts.

Quote:
-- so mmi makes you buy the entire carb rebuild kit to get the one silly little gasket...such a ripoff..
. . . . and I've never felt ripped off by Moyer Marine, also for 17 years.
Never.
TimBSmith (07-09-2022)
  #12   IP: 69.204.29.189
Old 07-09-2022, 11:11 AM

nor do i, thank you

but really if i ahd to rebuild the carb every year, i'd just spring for a diesel.

what do you do when the wind dies?

i've discussed the gasket issue with ted....i understand, but i do think beuying an entire carb rebuild kid to get one gasket is a ripoff...not deliberate i'm sure, but a ripoff nonetheless...espcially when you add on the $10 s & h

i value mmi and all hte help they've provided over the years...i don't mind paying thier premium prices because fo all the courtesy and service i've experienced from them

fortunately a few years ago the old engine guy at the local west marine steered me to using a merc mercruiser gasket whihc fits fairly well..actually i put 2 new ones on that plug last nite...he's gone now and normally part places need to know what vehicle it is for so they can look it up in the puter

i also saw on one of these threads that one of the afourians had sourced briggs and stratton gaskets that worked...and i appreciate this forum so i could find out about things like that...even if they are used on the lowly lawnmower
TimBSmith (07-09-2022)
  #13   IP: 104.174.83.118
Old 07-09-2022, 11:34 AM
Afourian MVP

I don't HAVE to rebuild annually, I choose to, no different than changing the fuel filter, spark plugs, crankcase oil and oiling the advance weights. When the wind dies I push the start button with the full confidence the engine will start immediately and run reliably for as long as needed.

If you prefer repowering with a diesel rather than rebuilding a carburetor you're in for a very unpleasant A4 ownership because carburetors need periodic rebuilding. That's why kits are available. And I see you didn't receive the subliminal message I sent earlier about suggesting Moyer Marine was ripping us off.

Maybe a diesel is your best option. I think you'd be much happier with one. And you wouldn't be alone.
TimBSmith (07-09-2022)
  #14   IP: 71.113.156.107
Old 07-09-2022, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Gaskets, Separate Isle

Information which may help in carb rebuilds, especially to those not needing a rebuild kit, the carb bowl gasket and flange gasket are sold separately on MMI's website under GASKETS. No one needs to purchase an entire rebuild kit to get a gasket. Also, MMI provides a free tech, sales rep.(Ken) who can help you navigate the online catalog to find the item(s) you need or place an order for you. Hope this information helps in the future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B Moyer For This Useful Post:
Easy Rider (07-09-2022), TimBSmith (07-09-2022)
  #15   IP: 209.6.152.28
Old 07-09-2022, 12:43 PM
Afourian MVP

Brief recap...and editorial that came up for me...

The kit I linked to is literally called
"Zenith factory carburetor service kit (late model)" Emphasis mine.
It is a $40 kit and maybe the passage plug gaskets are available separately IDK. "Service Kit" tells me that well...the carb needs to be serviced.

I learned early on here that our carbs need servicing and our fuel needs treatment and filtering to keep these engines purring.

My philosophy for owning a boat is that I want to know every system to keep the boat reliably functional and safe. I take pleasure in patiently getting my mind and hands around this motor. The patient part is really important to me. I sail and keep my A4 because this is the part of my life where slowing down is rewarded handsomely.

My engine will never be as beautiful as Neil's and other enviable examples here and that isn't the point. It will run well and reliably and within a broad range of growing competence I can maintain and fix most of the on-the-water issues that arise with the motor; relying on a great community and Moyer Marine in my corner.

This is a rare place where a lot of owners have been documenting, experimenting for a lot of years and there are reliable patterns of success to be learned from and applied. Keeping total cost of ownership and reliability more manageable for newbies like me.

My goal is to do coastal cruising in an affordable way without cutting corners or neglecting any part of my boat, knowledge, and competence as a skipper. I don't buy into the culture of chest thumping about the cost of owning a boat. I just want to be on the water without breaking the bank. I am always learning. I am a hands on guy. I am in the right place.

p.s. The beauty of the A4 is that a moderately skilled and intelligent person like me can safely maintain, fix, and operate the motor without paying for a marine mechanic to change the oil or trouble shoot a carburetor. And it is such a quiet and reliable motor that suits coastal sailing so very well. Thankful.
1974, Number 572
Boston, MA USA
The Following User Says Thank You to TimBSmith For This Useful Post:
Sam (07-09-2022)
  #16   IP: 69.204.29.189
Old 07-09-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Moyer View Post
Information which may help in carb rebuilds, especially to those not needing a rebuild kit, the carb bowl gasket and flange gasket are sold separately on MMI's website under GASKETS. No one needs to purchase an entire rebuild kit to get a gasket. Also, MMI provides a free tech, sales rep.(Ken) who can help you navigate the online catalog to find the item(s) you need or place an order for you. Hope this information helps in the future.
thank you.

good to know...i'm not on here that much -- usually only when i have a problem, which has been rare the past few years..meaning my a4 has been quite reliable....starts immediately, runs smooth, smokes a bit but that's due to the m m o i add-surprisingly uses no oil between changes, so i have no temptation to replace it with a diesel.

as u can see by my join date and your sales records, i've been a pretty good customer over the years and appreciate all the help i've recieved from don and ken, as well as the afourians.

not seeing the drain gasket in question under gaskets.

actually it's an o ring and is included with a carb drain plug or the quick drain...so i guess i could get one now for only $20 plus s and h

so not being here for the past few years i was not aware that i can get the o ring needed for the carb drain, albeit by purchasing the plug...that's recent, since i had discussed this with ken several times in the past 15 years.

better than before, but still a little steep; i'll just wiat till i have the usual $100 or more of needs on my shopping list. meanwhile i put 2 mercuriser gaskets on last nite and they seemed to be workiong

thank you to all for your help over the years... and ii have no problem with the markups you need to stay in business....i'd have been long ago without it.

excuse my dyslexia...
TimBSmith (07-09-2022)
  #17   IP: 69.204.29.189
Old 07-09-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBSmith View Post
The kit I linked to is literally called
"Zenith factory carburetor service kit (late model)" Emphasis mine.
It is a $40 kit and maybe the passage plug gaskets are available separately IDK. "Service Kit" tells me that well...the carb needs to be serviced.

I learned early on here that our carbs need servicing and our fuel needs treatment and filtering to keep these engines purring.

My philosophy for owning a boat is that I want to know every system to keep the boat reliably functional and safe. I take pleasure in patiently getting my mind and hands around this motor. The patient part is really important to me. I sail and keep my A4 because this is the part of my life where slowing down is rewarded handsomely.

My engine will never be as beautiful as Neil's and other enviable examples here and that isn't the point. It will run well and reliably and within a broad range of growing competence I can maintain and fix most of the on-the-water issues that arise with the motor; relying on a great community and Moyer Marine in my corner.

This is a rare place where a lot of owners have been documenting, experimenting for a lot of years and there are reliable patterns of success to be learned from and applied. Keeping total cost of ownership and reliability more manageable for newbies like me.

My goal is to do coastal cruising in an affordable way without cutting corners or neglecting any part of my boat, knowledge, and competence as a skipper. I don't buy into the culture of chest thumping about the cost of owning a boat. I just want to be on the water without breaking the bank. I am always learning. I am a hands on guy. I am in the right place.

p.s. The beauty of the A4 is that a moderately skilled and intelligent person like me can safely maintain, fix, and operate the motor without paying for a marine mechanic to change the oil or trouble shoot a carburetor. And it is such a quiet and reliable motor that suits coastal sailing so very well. Thankful.
pls look at the post i just made in reply to the post above from mr moyer [# 16]

also pls look at my join date and compare to yours, so you can see ive had a lot of eaxperience wiht the a4 and learned a lot as well. fwiw i bouught the a4 i have from a guy in boston in 2007 and for the most part i've been able to keep it going, usually going pretty well...espcially surprising in light of my being a harvard grad

excuse my dyslexia

Last edited by keithems; 07-09-2022 at 03:00 PM.
TimBSmith (07-09-2022)
  #18   IP: 209.6.152.28
Old 07-09-2022, 06:01 PM
Afourian MVP

Keith...I skimmed your thread history(love that feature)...instructive.

Your previously posted philosophy of being a self-reliant skipper resonates. You have covered a lot of ground in the past and this weekend! Congrats and fair winds.
1974, Number 572
Boston, MA USA
The Following User Says Thank You to TimBSmith For This Useful Post:
keithems (07-09-2022)
  #19   IP: 69.204.29.189
Old 07-10-2022, 12:02 PM

FWIW...

here's the url re. the post by sastanley--dated 2010, so may or may not be helpful now:

he said he had obtained a supply of gaskets for his 6.75 hp briggs and stratton that seemed to work on our carb's main passage plug

briggs part # 271716; # 117b on the parts list [diagram, i assume]

and as promised, have here the package of the mercury lower unit plug gaskets, which west marine recommended, and which seem to be holding so far [installed double this time] -- part # 02802, manuf. is handiman marine

one thing l've learned over the years is although i started life as a 98 lb weakling , i have to be careful not ot underestimate my own strength. i've stripped lots of nuts, broken off bolts,etc., and crushed gaskets.

so i recommend you go easy on this one...i didn't wrench it all the way in thsi time...just tight enough to where there is no dripping fuel

hope all this helps -- one of the best things about this site is the interchange of info which i'd be totally lost without.

thank you all.....
TimBSmith (07-11-2022)