Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 71.235.153.134
Old 08-12-2006, 02:42 PM

Engine runs then dies Now it won't start

I have a 1979 Tartan 30 with an Atomic 4 in it.

A year ago The engine started stalling for no aparent reason. It had plenty of fuel. Good clean spark plugs (properly gapped). I would be running along and it would just stop running. Would then start right back up and appear to run fine.

I decided this needed to be fixed. After spending over $1,100 and replacing the fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel filter, Plugs wires disributor Cap, points, condensor and coil. The problem is still there. When it dies it sound like somebody turen off the key

The compression is 110 to 115 in all 4 cylindors. The engine temp runs between 130 and 160 depending on the temp of the raw water. When the engine runs it is smooth and quiet and starts easily.

Last year the boat yard mechanic said that the carburator looked worn (whatever that means) and that that might be causing the issue.

Yesterday I was sailing out to Block Island with the engine running in neutral. It died. It gave me a problem resarting it but finally it started. After about 45 minutes of more run time it died again. I haven't be able to start it since. I ended up getting towed in because the wind died and I was caught in the rip at Watch Hill Rhode Island.

So here I am today on one of the best days of the sailing year sitting at my computer typing this. I need to get this issue resolved but don't have much confidence in my boat yard.

What might be the probem or better yet is there a place in the Eastern Connecticut area that is good at servicing Atomic 4's? I am considering repowering the boat if this can't be fixed but don't want to do it if this is something that can be fixed.

Thanks
Mal Leichter
The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Leichter For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-07-2020)
  #2   IP: 129.44.184.49
Old 08-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Afourian MVP

I would check to see if there is gas in the throat. Could be
either a clog in the jet or the float gets stuck.
  #3   IP: 71.235.153.134
Old 08-12-2006, 06:14 PM

I will definitely check that out tomorrow. That is a good possibility because they said that there was a plug in the pickup of the fueltank this spring when they comissioned the engine. What would cause plugs to continue to happen???

I 'll post back when I go to the boat yard tomorrow to work on the boat myself
  #4   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 08-13-2006, 07:45 PM

Mal,

Since the engine will not start at the present time, I'm attaching an abbreviated checklist for troubleshooting a non-starting engine.

I'm thinking that your problem may have more to do with ignition than with fuel, so I'm also attaching a Q & A for troubleshooting lack of spark.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Non-starting checklist.pdf (11.6 KB, 1540 views)
File Type: pdf Troubleshooting lack of spark.pdf (13.0 KB, 1398 views)
  #5   IP: 71.235.153.134
Old 08-14-2006, 05:49 PM

Don Thanks. I've printed both attachments and am headed to work on the engine tomorrow. I was more thinking of fuel since the ignition system was almost totally replace less than a year ago. Somewhere I thought I read something about a fuse somewhere in the primary ignition circuit. Could this be a fuse or wire problem??? I had thought about putting in all new wire from the battery to the switch, switch to the coil, coil to the points And make sure the distributor is well grounded. Any chance this is a wiring issue???

Thanks for your input

Right now the bug is a solid failure but it has been so random up to now it's getting frustrating

Mal
  #6   IP: 70.100.96.238
Old 08-14-2006, 08:39 PM

Check the carb

Mal,

I have a 1979 Tartan 30 as well--#594 in Rochester on Lake Ontario. I had what sounds like an identical problem a few years ago. Some water in the fuel tank was found, and after pumping and a Racor filter, less problem , but still had intermittant "instant off" (and always at the worst times!).. I believe at Don's suggestion, I removed the carbeurator, and with his rebuild kit and a can of carb cleaner cleared an incredible amount of grit from the ports and channels of the carbeurator. Have not had a single drop out in the last 4 years.

If your's is as mine, you need to remove the plywood piece along the battery box to get the carberuator off, but the job is surprisingly easy, and the directions/pictures (either in the Moyer Bible or in the kit, I can't remember which as they are at the boat and I'm at home) made this really quite easy.

And obviously, suggestions from Don carry a lot more weight than mine!!!

Good Luck
Gary
  #7   IP: 71.235.153.134
Old 08-16-2006, 05:31 PM

Gary and Don

The problem was fuel!!! The fuel filter canister had a fair amount of water and sediment in it. The tank wasn't way down but it was at about 1/4 full. The gage was showing 3/4 but obviously it was wrong. Cleaned out the sediment and the water and replaced the filter element. Started the engine and ran some carb cleaner through it. Re adjusted it and it seems to run fine now. I think I woill do the rebuild this fall. The boat yard is telling me I should be replacing tha tank. I don't know about that!!!

It is a stainless steel tank and looks to be in good shape. I'll watch the fuel filter and see what happens in terms of contaminets. I would have to do som major surgery to replace the tank

Gary My Tartan is a 79 #585. You still with the original A4????

Don tanks for the help. I'll be calling for parts and to talk about a rebuilt. After 26 years I don't know how much longer this A4 can last!!!! My boat yard is trying to convince me to do a diesel but I love the quietness of the A4!!! Isn't 26 years on an A4 pushing the life expectancy???

Thanks Mal
  #8   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 08-17-2006, 06:10 AM

Mal,

Unless an engine was driven up and down the Intracoastal Waterway 2 or 3 times a year, a 26 year old Atomic 4 is roughly equivalent to a 35 year old person in "people years".

Don
  #9   IP: 71.235.153.134
Old 08-17-2006, 07:18 PM

Don this engine has spent it's entire life in the northeast in salt water (not the winters). It is raw water cooled and I was told that after 26 years the waterjacket is probably close to rusting through.

You don't agree with that????

When it is not having fuel problems it runs very well and it seems to be sound. Compression is good and equal accross all 4 cylinders. Oil preasure is above 20 when idling and runs about 35 tp 37 pounds when crusing at 5 to 5.5 knots.

Are you saying this engine has life in it still???

Mal
  #10   IP: 24.4.102.112
Old 08-17-2006, 09:57 PM

Engine runs then dies

I have a 73 Tartan 30 (hull 127) with the original A4. Plus a new carb, electric fuel pump, electronic ignition, ignition parts, etc. all from Don and it runs great, 33 years and counting. I did install a flushing tee and flush with fresh water after every use, do the acid flush every year when I change oil.
  #11   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 08-18-2006, 07:01 AM

Mal,

Short answers to your questions:

You don't agree with that???? NOPE

Are you saying this engine has life in it still??? YEP

The longer answer to the Atomic 4's incredible and unexpected longevity is that the design perimeters and corrosive resistance of the major water jacketed castings were even better than anyone (probably even Universal) seemed to realize. I'm attaching a summary of the design perimeters that we used in one of our recent workshops to help raise your own comfort level.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Atomic 4 design specifications.pdf (15.6 KB, 1171 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Moyer For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-04-2020)
  #12   IP: 70.100.96.238
Old 08-19-2006, 02:30 PM

Old Tartan 30's, old engines

Been away a few days. Glad to hear it was just the fuel. I think over years we get a fair amount of condensation of water in the tanks. I also had the gasket on the fuel fill cap disintegrate a few years back and collected some water then.

Yes, I have the original A4. It's always been in Lake Ontario, raw water (not salt, obviously) and I've actually only done a complete flush of the cooling system once. I did put electronic ignition on some years back (I think when I was having carb problems). I guess I do get a little more smell in the cabin then 15 years ago, but it's really incredible how reliable the engine has been.

After 26 years with the same boat, it is an old toy and doesn't get used as much as it used to, but even after sitting a few weeks, I rarely crank 2 seconds to start.

As always, Don's right. I sort of remember being 35--I felt really good then.

Gary