Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Ignition System

#1   IP: 199.173.226.235
Old 01-05-2015, 08:36 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Pertronix II?

Any reason that the Pertronix II would not be good for an A4? It seems to have some advantages over the original. Might be a good thing for MM to sell - hint
  #2   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 01-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
After reading the Ignitor II™ ad copy and installation instructions it appears they addressed the current issue with variable dwell. That's very interesting, a true 'one size fits all' solution to a wide range of applied voltages. We manipulated the current the only way we could, by adjusting the resistance and it meant different alternator outputs (voltages) and different engine wiring conditions (voltage drops) resulted in different recommended resistor values.

Some thoughts:
  1. Pertronix recommends their Flamethrower II™ 0.6Ω coil for use with this version of their EI. Where have we heard that before, their coil is the perfect match for their EI? It might be but last time around it wasn't. Given what we've been through the 0.6Ω figure gives pause. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, maybe the variable dwell needs the low resistance for full range function.
  2. I could not find the maximum amperage specification.
  3. In addition to the maximum, I'd also like to know the designed operating current. The engineer inside me likes a margin of safety rather than taking it to the ragged edge.
  4. In the ad copy the caution against solid core plug wires addresses an electrical interference problem with other electronics and not the performance of this EI.
  5. The 'key left on - engine off' protection can be achieved with a Cole-Hersee basic alarm system or EWDS which brings side benefits.
  6. If it works as advertised it could be a great solution to the current balance issue we solved a few years ago.
  7. Who is up for the testing in our application? Not me. Like I said in another thread, not a dragon I feel a need to slay.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 01-05-2015 at 09:13 PM.
  #3   IP: 199.173.226.235
Old 01-05-2015, 10:34 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
I might try it. I have points now.
That said, I doubt I would try the 0.6 ohm coil. I also noted that Summit Racing sells a Pertronix "tractor coil" for low RPM tractors and industrial engines. This sounds like A4 material too.
For the Indigo fans.. Crane Cams likewise has a higher model EI box that does more than the original. Another hint
MM vs Indigo verison 2.0 EI

Also now we have the "Industrial and Agricultural Coil"
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-28010/overview/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
After reading the Ignitor II™ ad copy and installation instructions it appears they addressed the current issue with variable dwell. That's very interesting, a true 'one size fits all' solution to a wide range of applied voltages. We manipulated the current the only way we could, by adjusting the voltage and it meant different alternator outputs (voltages) and different engine wiring conditions (voltage drops) resulted in different recommended resistor values.

Some thoughts:
  1. Pertronix recommends their Flamethrower II™ 0.6Ω coil for use with this version of their EI. Where have we heard that before, their coil is the perfect match for their EI? It might be but last time around it wasn't. Given what we've been through the 0.6Ω figure gives pause. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, maybe the variable dwell needs the low resistance for full range function.
  2. I could not find the maximum amperage specification.
  3. In addition to the maximum, I'd also like to know the designed operating current. The engineer inside me likes a margin of safety rather than taking it to the ragged edge.
  4. In the ad copy the caution against solid core plug wires addresses an electrical interference problem with other electronics and not the performance of this EI.
  5. The 'key left on - engine off' protection can be achieved with a Cole-Hersee basic alarm system or EWDS which brings side benefits.
  6. If it works as advertised it could be a great solution to the current balance issue we solved a few years ago.
  7. Who is up for the testing in our application? Not me. Like I said in another thread, not a dragon I feel a need to slay.

Last edited by joe_db; 01-05-2015 at 10:38 AM.
  #4   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 01-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_db View Post
That said, I doubt I would try the 0.6 ohm coil.
Understood but you may be limiting the variable dwell function of the EI. I'd think to give it a fair try it ought to have the recommended coil as well.

But I truly understand. We tried their recommendations the last time down this path with disastrous results finally choosing to ignore them and blaze our own trail. If you give it a try, please keep us in the loop re: your communications with Pertronix tech help. It was quite entertaining before.

Keep the temp gun handy . . .
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others