Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 75.67.203.22
Old 07-14-2009, 12:12 AM

Motor random jumpy stuttering, rough and stalling check your electronic ignition.

Just a heads up for anyone in the troubleshooting process: I recently upgraded all sorts of systems on my A-4 aboard my sabre 28 and out of the blue after about 5 hours run time, the engine began to give me all sorts of issues that were reminiscent of either misfiring or lack of fuel where the engine was really rough and would occasionally stall out. Each time the symptoms were random and inconsistent. Made for hard starting at times and was unreliable for getting to and from the dock. Would occasionally stall and then start right back up and run great. Then ten minutes later, screwy misfiring again.

After deciding that the fuel system was fine and fuel was indeed getting to the carb via the new facet fuel pump, I checked the alternator and decided to replace as it seemed to be more of an issue when the batteries were low and alternator began to put out amperage. This i thought may be sending screwy voltage to the new electronic ignition. Well after a new alternator and the same symptoms, i decided we were having a misfire issue: Replaced all ignition wires, even some new ones and decided that coil was next as the pertronix electronic ignition was brand new. Well after a few conversations with a wise few I decided it wouldnt hurt to change out the ignition for the old points and condenser. Alas, problems went away. I apparently got a bad electronic ignition. Motor runs absolutely beautifully all symptoms are gone. Check your ignition!
  #2   IP: 142.68.243.151
Old 07-14-2009, 05:59 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by riphonda View Post
Would occasionally stall and then start right back up and run great. Then ten minutes later, screwy misfiring again.
Another great lession, thanks. This line jumps out for me: this is the observation that so often seems to signal an electronic problem when I hear of stories like this, specifically a "cold connection" somewhere (this time inside the EIM, it seems) that becomes a problem when the part is warm. I once had something like this on a different boat: turned out to be a faulty starter solenoid, but what a bear to find that gremlin. EIM failure seems uncommon. Wish now I had kept the old points and condenser for spares, but another set is cheap.
  #3   IP: 206.230.48.34
Old 07-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Afourian MVP

New ignition and old coil? You probably want to rule out the coil before failing the electronic ignition...and long before the alternator or wires for the symptoms you're describing. Another possibility is that the little magnetic circle thing on the electronic ignition was improperly seated.
  #4   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 07-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Afourian MVP

That little magnetic circle thing gave me trouble too. I broke off the little "ears" that properly position it on the dizzy shaft. Fortunately, it is a pretty tight fit, so once I got it right, it doesn't seem inclined to move.

I also started this spring with the electronic ignition & an old coil. Guess what failed after 75 minutes of motoring, very consistently for 3 days straight of my first week out? The damn coil...fortunately, I purchased, and had the spare with me, since the coil was just about the last thing I hadn't replaced.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #5   IP: 75.67.203.22
Old 07-15-2009, 11:37 PM

funny all these gadgets...

I kind of find it funny that we will eliminate a simple part system like the points and condenser for an EIM or some other such part when the old system works just fine. A little maintenance goes a long way and well, maybe people just dont like maintenance. What a gremlin this was indeed though.

As questioned above, the coil was indeed in good condition and I had no question about that part at all: I have a pertronix flame thrower coil matched to the module and it is Brand spankin new. So I went down and bought a back up set of points and condenser for a "74 vega" information which i got from another site for back up: a whole 12.00 USD worth. Cheap compared to the module that gave me all that trouble. This time guys, im stickin to simple. Thanks for your thoughts.
  #6   IP: 68.34.11.142
Old 07-16-2009, 07:34 AM

I would hardly call electronic ignition a "gadget".
  #7   IP: 76.247.171.195
Old 07-16-2009, 05:04 PM

With all this discussion regarding coils failing after installing electronic ignition, I just ordered a new flame thrower coil from moyer. Doesn't appear that I need it yet but sounds like good insurance and a quick fix if underway.

DVD
  #8   IP: 68.104.64.99
Old 07-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Afourian MVP

AND you'll have a Back UP in your pocket!
  #9   IP: 71.252.20.96
Old 07-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Afourian MVP

I am sure glad I had mine sitting in the chart table when we were out for a week!
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif