Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Drive Train / Propellers

#1   IP: 68.104.69.129
Old 12-27-2008, 12:44 AM
Afourian MVP

Propeller Shaft Leak

Late model A4 in a '78 Ranger 30...
I have a leak on my propeller shaft that seems to be getting worse. It appears to be dripping where the collar bolts tighten on the shaft. Here is a picture. Anyone have a suggestion for stopping or slowing this leak down without pulling the boat out of the water?
Thanks,
Jerry

Last edited by roadnsky; 05-06-2012 at 12:37 PM.
  #2   IP: 69.214.6.198
Old 12-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Afourian MVP

The collar bolts are known as a "stuffing box." They are supposed to drip just a little when the shaft is turning. They are also easily adjusted.

Have you tried adjusting the stuffing box?
Second, have you replaced the packing lately?
  #3   IP: 98.141.38.22
Old 12-28-2008, 05:33 AM

Looking at the picture, you can see the thinner lock nut, Loosen that, then turn the larger packing nut until the leak stops with the shaft NOT turning. It should leak a few drops a minute when the shaft is rotating.

You can also add more packing if needed. It looks like you have a lot of room to unthread the packing nut and slide it to the right. Some water will trickle in, but it's not bad.
1970, Northwind 29, #5
  #4   IP: 74.235.209.10
Old 12-28-2008, 06:22 AM

Here's a little tip for those disadvantaged with poor access to their
stuffing box area---it's easier to loosen the packing nut and then rotate
the lock nut then the other way around. There's a lot more surface
area to grip on the packing nut. I have to access mine kneeling in
front of the engine, laying on top of the motor, and putting my head
between the back of the engine and under the gas take--thank goodness
I have long arms!

Another tip, tie a string to your wrench in case it slips out of your hands.

-jonathan
  #5   IP: 68.104.69.129
Old 12-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanks for all of the informational replies.

I just bought her a couple of months ago and have been spending my days getting her into shape. (Water pump, hoses, thermostat and housing, hot exhaust section)

marthur - Haven't tried adjusting yet. I was afraid I'd open up too much leaking. Not sure when it was last re-packed.

dearbhail - I got the same suggestion from West Marine. Right now the leak is a bit too much for me (about a drip every 10-12 sec) I'm gonna try the tightening first. If not, well another project for the punch list...

By the way jhwelch, I've learned the string-to-the-wrench trick the hard way.
Thanks again for the replies!
-jerry
  #6   IP: 68.104.69.129
Old 12-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Afourian MVP

Update...

Ok, I tried loosening the lock nut and turning the packing nut but could only lessen the leak to about a drip every 20 seconds.
So it's on to re-packing or adding to the stuffing.

Does anyone know what "size" the stuffing is?

I went to West Marine and there are various sizes and the Rep couldn't tell me which one would fit...
  #7   IP: 66.168.110.11
Old 12-28-2008, 04:32 PM

Leak

If you are getting a drip every 20 seconds that should be about right. A little water coming out helps cool the shaft. Sometimes if you mess with it to much you just open another can of worms.

Julian
  #8   IP: 68.104.69.129
Old 12-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanks Julian.
I should have mentioned that the drip is with the shaft NOT turning (boat at rest). It's not bad, it's just a lot of water pooling after a few days.
I'll eventually re-pack the stuffing since I don't know when this was last done (if ever)

I'd still appreciate if anyone know what size that stuffing is...
  #9   IP: 69.118.236.222
Old 12-29-2008, 02:37 AM
Afourian MVP

Buy several sizes. Return whatever you don't use. Make sure you have some sort of a hook tool on hand to dig out the old flax from inside the nut. The water flow while you're doing this looks scarier than it is, but it's too much to allow you to take a leisurely trip with the old flax to the chandlery to get just the right size. Also, you may not be able to tell the right size from the crushed old flax anyway.

The right way to repack the flax is to use three concentric rings of flax with the cut joints offset 120 degrees from each other -- NOT with a single spiral of flax.
  #10   IP: 74.235.209.147
Old 12-29-2008, 06:38 AM

Over the course of time a propeller shaft will become scored, so you might
want to check that too, if you ever unscrew your packing nut and slide
it forwards to expose that section of the shaft.

Here is what my old shaft looked like last summer:
Attached Images

#11   IP: 144.160.98.31
Old 12-29-2008, 07:12 AM

Sir, the links below provide some good tips on stuffing box maintenance. You could find more via google. The book "Mechanical and Electrical Manual" by Nigel Caldor is also an excellent source of information about all boat systems.

Best of luck.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/Casey/StuffingBox.htm
http://www.alohaowners.com/pages/pro...uffing_box.htm
  #12   IP: 68.104.69.129
Old 12-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Afourian MVP

tenders - good idea. Should have thought of that...
rheaton - thanks for the links
jhwelch - something else to "worry" about!

Good info from everyone. I love this resource!
  #13   IP: 70.62.137.132
Old 12-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Afourian MVP

There is a material called "Drip Less Moldable Packing" sold by West and presumably others that is like a modeling clay and is meant to pack the stuffing box in place of flax packing. It's pricey but has good reviews. You'd still have to make sure you get all the old packing out before putting this stuff in. Use little picks (the "dental" hooks sold at various stores work well for this).
  #14   IP: 216.70.184.248
Old 12-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Afourian MVP

I also saw a "Teflon" material that the West Rep said is reputed not to leak, but the pessimist in me makes me tend to stick with tried and true methods and materials.
My slip neighbor told me the Teflon stuffing had a tendency towards the shaft running hotter.

Anyway, another project for the (not shrinking) punch list...
  #15   IP: 98.220.232.114
Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 PM

Packing material

I've had good luck with PTFE Flax packing by Western Pacific Trading (I'm pretty sure I got it at West Marine), and the three separate rings with the splits (carefully cut on a diagonal) staggered around the shaft. Smear a big finger full of Superlube Teflon grease (Edson sells it to squirt in their pedestal bearings-you may be able to find it locally) in the fitting before you screw it up and they'll last for several seasons. It really hard to be sure you've got all of the old packing out before you put the new stuff in, but it's worth the effort. You'll probably need 1/8th inch or 3/16th inch diameter packing.

Once it's stopped leaking (shaft not turning), it's about right if it drips once or twice a minute with the shaft turning.

As a safety measure put a stainless steel clamp around the shaft (to the right of the fitting in your photo) so if the engine coupling ever does let go, you won't loose the shaft and prop out of the stern tube.
  #16   IP: 68.104.69.129
Old 12-31-2008, 10:34 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind navigator View Post
You'll probably need 1/8th inch or 3/16th inch diameter packing.

blind navigator - I'm following tender's advice and buying various sizes since I'm planing to do this with the boat in the water. Good suggestion on the Teflon grease. Thanks.
It's a project that I've slated for next week, so I'll be sure to follow up and post here with the results as well as what size the flax turns out to be...
-jerry
  #17   IP: 69.118.236.222
Old 12-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Afourian MVP

> three separate rings with the splits (carefully cut on a diagonal) staggered around the shaft

Oh yeah, I forgot about that -- it's important, too. Cutting the flax on a diagonal will lessen the chance that you end up with a gap in the loop when the gland is tightened down. Cutting the flax straight will almost guarantee that you'll have a gap.

I replaced my packing gland with a Lasdrop shaft seal 13 years ago. I've been satisfied with it, but it hasn't been a perfect experience. For any serious adjustment or part replacement you have to pull the shaft, which is a bear of a job on my boat. My reasoning was that shaft seals protect the shaft better, but the fact is that shafts aren't very expensive to have made up--it's the LABOR associated with messing with the shaft seal, stern tube, etc. that's the real hassle--either grueling personally or expensive to pay somebody else to do. If I every have to revisit the shaft sealing system again from scratch I'd give very serious consideration to a regular gland with the Teflon-impregnated packing. All the wear parts can be replaced without removing the shaft, except the hose surrounding the tube, which should last a really long time.

>My slip neighbor told me the Teflon stuffing had a tendency towards the shaft running hotter.

I think this is true only if you adjust it so that it doesn't drip at all. That's possible with the Teflon system but dangerous with a non-Teflon system. Personally I expect a little water in the bilge anyway and would just as soon have a slow, cooling drip from the Teflon and not worry about heat or excessive shaft wear.
  #18   IP: 207.200.116.138
Old 01-01-2009, 02:00 AM

another excellent link

This is the best explanation and description of the procedure I have found:
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box
Look at the 2nd page also.

Jean-Luc
  #19   IP: 24.215.77.251
Old 01-01-2009, 05:50 PM

Shaft leak

Hi folks,

I also have some scoring on my shaft in the area of the packing gland and some thinning at the cutlass bearing area as well. I have a 1" bronze shaft. Should the shaft be machined smooth or even possibly built-up and machined?

Just a note of caution. I loosen the jam nut and the gland last summer to inspect the end of the shaft. Retighened the packing nut and thought I tighted the jam nut. After running the engine for a bit and shutting down I noticed an odd sound and looked around. It turned out to be full annular flow of water around the saft as the packing nut backed completely off. Would have been a disaster if I left the boat for any amount of time. But not enough flow to prevent changing the packing.

Mike
  #20   IP: 69.118.236.222
Old 01-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Afourian MVP

You almost certainly won't find it cost-effective to rebuild a shaft. New shafts just aren't that complicated or expensive to make.

It is possible to change the length of the rubber tube that wraps around the shaft and the stern tube so that the packing gland contacts the shaft in a different place, but you can't do much about the cutless bearing.
  #21   IP: 64.203.32.52
Old 01-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Cool Shaft leak

Last year I changed over to the Indigo prop which increased my cruising rpms by 20-25%. My sfaft packing which was quite old finally "Cooked" and needed to be replaced. My shaft was removed in the water taken to a shop and "peen-straightened" however due to the shaft being worn so badly I needed to move the packing position by extending the tube a bit. The down side was that now I had to run the packing where some of the peening took place. Poor planning!! I tried three times to get the "flax type" packing to seal but kept burning it up due to the roughness (peening leaves very tiny-tiny marks when done properly) of the peen marks. The packing would heat up even when dripping every few seconds (way to much) and the wax would run out the end of the packing gland and then water would just pour in. A friend talked me into using the good "Gore" packing material from West marine. It's not cheap and it never failed. It does run a little warmer because it doesn't let as much water run through as it is a tighter seal. It also will withstand considerably more heat and the graphite won't liquify and run out. It is also much easier to work with than any of the other materials available especially the pliable messy type.

Your packing gland looks exactly like the one I was using on a 3/4" shaft and it took 1/4" material. When moving my location I changed the gland and the new one uses 5/16".

I also installed the Gore packing in my rudder packing and it was a vast improvement.

David
  #22   IP: 192.128.166.68
Old 01-02-2009, 09:51 AM

I did read somewhere, where a person had wear spots in their prop shaft, they removed the shaft and reinserted it switching it end-for-end. This would involve labor, but maybe it's worth considering.

Best of luck.

Take care,

Russ
  #23   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 01-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Cool the Shaft

Russ, the shaft is different at each end one tapered for the prop and the other with a keyway. It's really easier to relocate the packing gland if there is the space on the shaft to do so.
  #24   IP: 68.104.69.129
Old 01-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Afourian MVP

Shaft Spins In Neutral?

With the packing nut adjusted and spinning/dripping appropriately with the engine running AND while in gear; should the shaft NOT spin when in neutral? The stuffing box isn't hot (slightly warm) after 30 minutes of running in gear.

I seem to remember that before I took this project on, the shaft would spin even when in neutral. Maybe just because the flax was compressed from wear?
-jerry
  #25   IP: 68.173.39.97
Old 01-03-2009, 02:01 AM
Afourian MVP

Spinning shaft in neutral

Roadnsky,
If the shaft is spinning in 'neutral' it is not because of the stuffing box packing - it is because of the transmission/gear shift.
I originally thought that our shaft still would spin in 'neutral' when I ran the engine on the hard - I could see the prop spinning and feel the vibrations (not a good idea by the way - ruins the cutlass bearing which relies on water for lubrication). What I have come to understand about the transmission on my boat is that it not at all like my standard transmission car; where neutral is neutral, 1st is 1st and so on. With the boat transmission the only gears that positively engage are forward and reverse - neutral is somewhere in the middle. I now find that by minute adjustments of the gear shift I can actually get my shaft to stop spinning (for the most part) by gently tapping it a little towards reverse. I know this by doing it with our boat in its cradle on the hard but I now know to look for swales off the stern or current created by the prop in the water while we are at mooring.
I now know that I can play with the forward gear and adjust it down as from 'Full Ahead' to '1/4 speed' by bringing the shift back towards neutral. Actually finding the real neutral with no forward thrust takes a little practice. On our boat it is closer to reverse then right in the middle.
Others have adjusted the reversing gear engagement point of the tranny which is a bit beyond me at the moment. I am quite happy with our thrust in forward when everything is clean (prop, hull etc) but I do not rely much on reverse if I can help it (we have a 2 blade prop).
Your mileage will vary.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
Hawkeye54 (12-14-2020)