X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike7a10
    • Apr 2005

Starter Overheating AND Hard to Start A4

I have been experiencing a problem for a while with my A4 being hard to start.

If I use starting fluid it instantly fires right up and runs like a top. But to get it started without starting fluid takes excessive cranking. I read in another thread this morning that maybe the choke is not closing all the way?

The hard starting has led to another issue. I believe the starter or solenoid is overheating as it takes a series of long cranks (unless I use the starting fluid) to get it to start. After 3 or 4 long cranks (yes, I am aware of the raw water siphoning issue) the starter will not work. No click, no sound. When the ignition key is engaged the amperage is dropping like it should so the current is being drawn to the starter. It is simply stuck. After it cools down for a few minutes the starter works again.

I am thinking the starter is overheating and getting stuck due to the excessive cranking.

So here is the bottom line...if I can get the engine to start normally (quickly) as she used to do, do I still need to replace the starter?

Also, any other thoughts on the hard-to-start issue other than the choke?

By the way, I gave it a major tune up a few weeks ago to try to correct the hard starting but it did not help (replaced the distributor cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires and adjusted timing...she purrs once she starts).

Here's an oddball thought...the other day my toilet vent needed replacing as it was clogged. I replaced all of the vents during a major refit 5-6 years ago. If the fuel vent is also clogged this could cause a slight siphon effect pulling the fuel backwards towards the tank that the mechanical fuel pump can overcome once it is running. I know that is an "out there" thought but...

I am going to check the choke to make sure it is closing all the way.

Any thoughts/advice is always appreciated. Mike S/V Plan Sea
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Sounds like your starter is drawing way to much amperage possibly because of a bad cable connection. A common place to start is the negative path back to the batteries. If you have a grounding strap or other engine connection check it for corrosion or looseness. The starter may be drawing the voltage down so low that gasoline has trouble firing the engine but the starting fluid will. Not a good habit for your engine to get into.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Choke & corrosion

Mike, what Hanley said and do recheck the choke. If it is not "completely closing" the engine will be hard to start. Do a good visual check.
      Another is to check the voltage while cranking. If the voltage drops it could also be a battery issue, if the battery is weak. Make sure the ground from the block is up to snuff too. Give the ground cable a wiggle and if it seems to move more in a particular spot, usually a dip in the line the cable could be corroded deep inside well away from the lugs. I have seen many times where the cable ends look great but the wire inside is corroded. The cable can get a bit warm from load and when the load is gone and it begins to cool it can draw in moisture and it will settle in a low spot and corrode away.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• mike7a10
        • Apr 2005

Great suggestions

thank you guys! That sounds like a really good advice. I will check it just as soon as I can in the next few days. I have a feeling you are probably on to something there. Will let you know. Thanks again. Mike

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

Mike,
          If it starts easy with the juice, I suspect fuel issues. Could be choke. How about the fuel pump? Mechanical or electric? Do you have pressure at the inlet to the carburetor?
          Anyone played with your carb lately? Perhaps the float valve isn't opening (assembled wrong, out of proper adustment)?
          What's the history on this problem? Perhaps the carb is just full of ethanol gunk??

Comment

• mike7a10
            • Apr 2005

Thanks Al. As I had said, I will be checking the choke in the next couple of days.I have a mechanical fuel pump and it appears to be working fine. No one has worked on my carburetor except for me. When I cleaned the carburetor the other day I did get some gunk out of the main jet. Thanks!

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Need to keep looking

Originally posted by mike7a10 View Post
              When I cleaned the carburetor the other day I did get some gunk out of the main jet.
              That gunk came from somewhere and unless it's found and remedied there will likely be more.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• mike7a10
                • Apr 2005

I placed an inline .0 2 micron filter before I replaced the carburetor. flushed the fuel filter, fuel pump and sediment Bowl and checked gas. It was clean as a whistle. I am sure the 35 yr old gas tank has some crud in it, but the filters seem to be working great!
                Last edited by mike7a10; 10-30-2013, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Then where did the gunk come from? It doesn't procreate spontaneously, had to come from somewhere.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

• mike7a10
                    • Apr 2005

Neil: Sorry for the confusion. I installed the inline filter and flushed the fuel pump and sediment bowl after I found the gunk in the main jet and had cleaned the carb. The fuel is now clean going to the carb.

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Sounds good. Keep an eye on those filters in case something evil resides in the fuel tank.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California

Comment

• mike7a10
                        • Apr 2005

Update -FIXED

After cleaning the main jet and adding the inline filter the engine ran great. I also found that the choke was not closing fully. After making adjustments she fired up on her own without using starting fluid. She is running and starting great!

As always, thank you Moyer Marine and all of you who helped out. Gotta' love this website! Thanks again.

Mike
                        S/V Plan Sea

Comment

• Administrator
                          MMI Webmaster
                          • Oct 2004

Way to go, Mike!

Bill

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

plus 1!

Mike, thanks for the follow up. I am glad you solved the starter fluid issue too..that stuff is called motor crack for a reason. Even a cold A-4 should start within seconds provided the choke closes fully.
                            -Shawn
                            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X