Engine very hard to start after sailing in rough seas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warren casey
    • Aug 2005

Engine very hard to start after sailing in rough seas.

What could be the problem

Engine was rebuilt a few years ago and has been just great! Now - it starts fine, but after sailing in rough seas (lots of heeling and choppy seas) I get back in the marina and just can't start the motor. Had a friend check the engine as I tried to start it over and over again and he just couldn't smell any fuel.

I had installed an gas inline rubber hand squeeze pump and we pumped more fuel but that didn't help.

So we sailed into the slip and when we were tied up - I tried starting the motor again and it started right up!

Any Ideas?
  • ArtJ
    • Sep 2009

Sometimes rough seas cause crud from the bottom of the tank to travel
    to the carb. This can often be cleared by bleeding (carefully so as to not
    lose the main passage plug if a fixed jet or the adjustable jet. Keep
    a rag underneath so that the plug is not dropped into the unaccessible
    bilge below. It could also cause the fuel line to lose prime from rough
    seas.

If the engine quit gradually, this may be the sympton.
    IF the engine quit abruptly like a switch being turned off, the coil, or other
    electrical system can be suspect.

Regards

Art

Comment

• warren casey
      • Aug 2005

Thanks Art,

But the motor dose't stop on it own. it runs fine in the rough stuff. I turn it off to race the boat for a hour or two. Then when I re-enter the marina I try and start it again and that is when it just doesn't want to start. I will check the bleed valve tomorrow!

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

Check for fire. How much time between attempts to start the engine and how long since it was running. If it ran well in choppy seas until you shut it down then I`d be looking for a `fire` issue.

Water will give you sputtering and loss of power...most times it continues to run....hard to start though afterwards. Are you using ethanol fuel and how long has it been in your tank.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• lat 64
          Afourian MVP
          • Oct 2008

Hi warren, Long time no chat.
          I'm thinking spark too, or blocked exhaust from water?

Russ
          sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Nov 2008

Maybe This?

Boat heels and water enters the exhaust system through a small leak or some other defect in the exhaust system - maybe a muffler or somewhere else. Engine won't start.
            Boat becomes upright and the offending water drains out through the same hole. Engine starts.

It's easy to Rx a couple of other suspects:
            Next time the engine won't start:
            Pull the wire out of the center of the distributor cap, hold it close to the engine, have someone hit the starter and check for spark.
            Since you said it appears the engine isn't getting fuel, if you have an electric fuel pump, short across the OPSS and see if the pump pumps fuel.

TRUE GRIT
            Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 07-13-2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• warren casey
              • Aug 2005

Sailed yesterday and had the same problem. I looked at everything (looked fine), but didn't have the time to do more detailed testing.

Question: Could this be bad gas? Just filled the tank a week before this problem started.

Question: What gas additive would help clean the gas?

Hi Russ, It has been a long time. I now have 94 hour on the rebuild and no trouble until this problem. How has you rebuild been working? I still like the motor, but hate when I just can't figure what the problem is??

I did have one other idea - the starboard compartment next to the engine is open to engine. Equipment can move shift when heeled. I will check when next at the boat to see if anything is touch the distributor cap or some other part!
              Last edited by warren casey; 07-14-2012, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• Antibes
                • Jun 2011

Bad gas would be trouble in the harbor and outside. There should be enough gas in the system to at least restart if junk in the tank gets shook up while sailing.

Take the time to perform some of the simple tests mentioned above to narrow down fuel or spark as the source

Comment

• Sony2000
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by warren casey View Post
                  What could be the problem

I had installed an gas inline rubber hand squeeze pump and we pumped more fuel but that didn't help.

So we sailed into the slip and when we were tied up - I tried starting the motor again and it started right up!

Any Ideas?
                  I think you have a stuck needle valve in the float. Next time undo the float drain (1/2" spanner) to see if it is dry. You could tap the top of the carb to loosen it, but that did not do it for me last week. As a last resort I polished the brass seat lightly with a Dremel bit, powered by my two fingers.

Comment

Working...
                  X