X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gregsails
    • Sep 2013

Catalina 30;A4 won t start off the key

Hi everyone.I have just finished installing my A4 on my Catalina 30 after a tear down this winter.The motor will not start off the key.This is what I have done.
    Both batteries are at 12.45.
    There is hot power to the silinode. Sorry about the spelling
    It is hot to the coil.
    The motor DOES start with a remote starter switch.
    I thought it might be the key switch. It is hot at the switch.Had a new one cause the tumblers sometimes locked on me so I installed it also.
    I removed the entire wire harness and have good readings on it, or the middle long harness.
    I have no clue what to do other than running a bypass from the harness.
    The only thing I found unusual was my blower was not working. It always had before.And I did notice that it has a jump wire from the ignition switch to make it hot.
    Anyone seen this problem before.Im at a loss as to whats going on. And electrical is my weakness of all the trades.
    Thanks for reading.
    Greg Catalina 30 1977 sail 696
    Last edited by gregsails; 07-05-2014, 10:17 AM.
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

You've isolated the problem to the single start wire circuit, identified as a white #10 wire on a standard harness (not a guaranty on your particular boat). That's a good thing. The possible problems are:
    1. Keyswitch as you originally suspected. If the switch is not making contact internally it'll never work.
    2. Poor or broken terminal or connection on the white wire, either end or maybe a previous repair mid-harness.
    3. The infamous Catalina rubber trailer plugs (see picture). Catalina used at least two, maybe three of these in the engine wiring harness. They are known to deteriorate and fail and your start circuit goes through the plug. The plugs are located at the instrument panel, the engine and a possible third in the vicinity of the ice box under the cabin sole.

Thoroughly check and repair if necessary those three items and you should be good.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ndutton; 07-05-2014, 05:05 PM. Reason: added pic
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• gregsails
      • Sep 2013

Thanks Neil. I'm a idiot Got it fixed.Greg

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

We love idiot stories. Please tell us what happened so we can hopefully avoid doing it ourselves.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
        X