Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Cooling System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

#26   IP: 75.140.12.200
Old 08-27-2012, 06:44 AM

3 am random thoughts

Just a random thought, what if you just ran bypassed water thru transom above water line? It would give you instant indication of thru hull, strainer or impeller issues. Like a outboard engine "pee" hole.Down side might be higher exhaust temp?
  #27   IP: 96.229.18.9
Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,298 Times in 844 Posts
Silverfox, when you say cap I asume the t'stat husing and those are 3/8" NPT. The plug on the top of mine is a pencil zinc I added as I don't have a t'stat in the housing.
A static temp gage is fine and the only down side is you can't see it unless your looking at it on the engine. It would not be a bad idea for a backup if desired. I do have a static OP gage, just not permanently mounted, I have a port ready incase my electric is questionable or goes bad.

Rmark, a bleed of for a pee tube like an OB is fine but they constatnly have critters get inside and build a nest, especially moths. Just a plain static preassure gage works as well. I have a static gage on my big OB motors and my son was using the boat over the weekend and I got a call~~Dad the water preassure is at 5 when idling and 8~10 when running. Time for a water pump is all I said. I also like all the water going through the exhaust too, not dumping and leaving a mess where it exits.

Dave Neptune
  #28   IP: 174.58.92.14
Old 08-27-2012, 03:11 PM

Diverter cap

Dave Neptune, 1. I 'm referring to the diverter cap, on the inside of the water jacket side plate, that connects to the "T" fitting and diverts water flow down and aft inside the block. I thought that I read somewhere that originally that cap only had a single hole that diverted the flow down and aft and that some A4ers have added a second smaller hole to direct some water straight across the block between #2 & #3 cylinders.
2. On my Tartan 27, the forward wall of the cockpit is just aft and slightly above my A4 so I should be able to mount the mechanical Oil pressure and Engine Temp gages on the regular panel.
3. Your by-pass plumbing looks great and it sure must be nice know that your temp reading is accurate. Good on you!
  #29   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 08-27-2012, 05:11 PM

Lightbulb Cool

silverfox, OK I get it. The diverter is not something I have played with. I bought a new one from MMI quite a few years ago and it did have just the aft facing port. I have seen the mod however I haven't seen anythig regardig any particular advantage.
In 26 years I have only had my engine heat up once so I slowed until I was out of the shipping lanes , shut her down and went to work figuring out the problem as it was rather sudden IE last trip the pryor week was fine. I found it to be a obstructed intake by removing my intake lione from the valve. It was early in the season, in 55 degree water and being alone I did not want to go over tha side and pondered by predicament. I came up with the idea of blowing the line clear with a fire extinguisher and no problems since. It did make a bit of a mess however it also blew the krap out. That was the start of last year.

Dave Neptune
  #30   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 08-27-2012, 05:13 PM

Lightbulb Cool

silverfox, OK I get it. The diverter is not something I have played with. I bought a new one from MMI quite a few years ago and it did have just the aft facing port. I have seen the mod however I haven't seen anythig regardig any particular advantage.
In 26 years I have only had my engine heat up once so I slowed until I was out of the shipping lanes , shut her down and went to work figuring out the problem as it was rather sudden IE last trip the pryor week was fine. I found it to be a obstructed intake by removing my intake line from the valve. It was early in the season, in 55 degree water, no wetsuit and being alone I did not want to go over tha side and pondered by predicament. I came up with the idea of blowing the line clear with a fire extinguisher and no problems since. It did make a bit of a mess however and it did blow the krap out. That was the start of last year.

Dave Neptune
  #31   IP: 174.58.92.14
Old 08-27-2012, 10:42 PM

Thanks

Dave N., Thanks for the help. I've completed the Static runs on my A4 and she's ready to reinstall. Gulf water temps here in FLorida run in the high 80's, so it will be interesting to see how my temps will run using no T-stat and your bypass set-up. Bob P.
  #32   IP: 24.224.206.117
Old 08-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile

Silver,
Can't wait to hear how you do with it myself.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.