X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wrsteinesq
    • Jul 2013

Won’t crank after layup

Pulled our Tartan 27 in December. A4 running great, no issues. Just re-launched; it’s been a busy time. No action of any sort when I try to start. Not a click, nothing. Battery is good and I’ve got 12.6 voltage at the solenoid. We have a starter button with a rubber boot, not a key; and a hunky switch to turn on engine electrical power. Turned that hunky switch on but didn’t get the full-effect EWDS alarms, which was noteworthy. Also, the blower ran fine initially, on its solid state time switch, but thereafter, the timer switch would run but not the blower. Rightly or wrongly suspected the solenoid and so pulled it but can’t get it to do anything on the bench. Used a jumpbox and grounded the shell of it and applied the positive to the “S” terminal: nothing. Shouldn’t that have caused it to mechanically actuate? It contains some form of round fiber piece, which I’d have thought would be flat, but it was bent up a bit and mis-shapen. Not sure what to do next. Ordering a new solenoid from our host; nothing wrong in a spare, anyway. Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

I suggest a thorough electrical system check of all connections looking for looseness and corrosion at both ends of each wire starting with the battery cables. Don't stop if you find one, your description points to multiple issues.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Wrsteinesq
      • Jul 2013

Thank you, Neil. I guess that’s my next move, although Ian makes it unlikely to happen this weekend. A shout-out to our host: I ordered the solenoid kit and received it the next day. Granted, I’m not located across the country; but still, that’s pretty impressive.

Comment

Working...
      X