• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by wetbirks View Post
    After eliminating a few other issues, I've moved on to priming the fuel pump. It just emits a dry squeaky sound after pumping it for many minutes. I'm convinced that the fuel is not being drawn through the system. When I disconnect the hose clamps throughout the system I just find dry fuel line starting at the tank all the way down to the fuel pump.
    Any suggestions on why the fuel is not leaving the tank?
    Sounds as if your impression is correct. To isolate and confirm that the pump is working\not working put the inlet and outlet hoses in a auxiliary tank of fuel and turn the pump on (with the key) and see if you can pump fuel in a circle.*
    If the pump is working reconnect the output hose to the engine and try to start.
    * Don't leave the key in the on position for more than a minute or two when the engine isn't running and the points are closed or the coil will be fried. If desired, you can disconnect the wire at coil - to prevent over heating the coil when the key is on.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Peter
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2016

Facet fuel pumps can be found at aircraftspruce.ca - https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalo...cetgoldflo.php

Part number 05-10835

OPSS - quite a few on Amazon

Peter

PS - they also carry the facet “cube” pumps that are less expensive. These pumps were discussed here https://www.moyermarineforum.com/for...ght=Facet+cube
      Last edited by Peter; 07-06-2021, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• wetbirks
        • Jul 2021

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
        Sounds as if your impression is correct. To isolate and confirm that the pump is working\not working put the inlet and outlet hoses in a auxiliary tank of fuel and turn the pump on (with the key) and see if you can pump fuel in a circle.*
        If the pump is working reconnect the output hose to the engine and try to start.
        * Don't leave the key in the on position for more than a minute or two when the engine isn't running and the points are closed or the coil will be fried. If desired, you can disconnect the wire at coil - to prevent over heating the coil when the key is on.

ex TRUE GRIT
        John, I completed this test. Nothing happened.

I did note that when I pulled the lines out of the auxiliary fuel tank, the intake hose seem to be full of gas, but the out hose was empty.

Time to locate a fuel pump. Having trouble determining what size/specs I need for the new one.
        Attached Files

Comment

• wetbirks
          • Jul 2021

It also occurred to me, how do I even know that I have power running to the fuel pump in the first place? I did put an electrical tester on the wires and there was no response.

I would like to test the fuel pump directly on the terminals of my battery, but I'm worried to do this because of a potential spark in the fact that this is a fuel pump.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by wetbirks; 07-06-2021, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Surcouf
            • May 2018

Originally posted by wetbirks View Post
            I would like to test the fuel pump directly on the terminals of my battery, but I'm worried to do this because of a potential spark in the fact that this is a fuel pump.
            for a simple test... flush it with water, make a short test pumping water through it; then flush it back with gas to avoid corrosion.
            Surcouf
            A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• wetbirks
              • Jul 2021

Originally posted by Surcouf View Post
              for a simple test... flush it with water, make a short test pumping water through it; then flush it back with gas to avoid corrosion.

This fuel pump test directly to a battery was a success. It is the first time I've actually heard the pump run.

I guess I have a power issue, rather than a pump issue.

Now to figure out why I am not getting power to my pump. My connections are in the photo below.

I only have one starter battery connected. Do I need to have both batteries connected?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by wetbirks; 07-06-2021, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                • Nov 2008

Take a voltage reading at coil + when the key is in the crank and then in the on position.
                The ground looks poor in the picture. Take a ohm reading from the bare wire from the fuel pump to the battery ground to see if the ground is working. I would fix the ground wire end terminal regardless - it's pretty far gone

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• wetbirks
                  • Jul 2021

I was able to get the engine running.

But I have discovered a new problem. I have water coming out of the top of the engine. I'm assuming I have bad seals? Any experience or Insight would be appreciated as I plan my next steps.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Surcouf
                    • May 2018

Could be bad seal (could also be no seal...), torque insufficient, or wrong installation...
                    Surcouf
                    A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                      • Jan 2007

Is the water coming out from under the t'stat housing or out from the studs?
                      If it's the bottom probably just the gasket leaking, try a new one and seal with Permatex Av grade. If you are using lock washers get rid of them and or add some sealer to the washers and nuts for a good seal.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• wetbirks
                        • Jul 2021

Originally posted by Surcouf View Post
                        Could be bad seal (could also be no seal...), torque insufficient, or wrong installation...
                        I removed the seal and thermostat. I will get a new gasket and replace it with sealer and report back.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• wetbirks
                          • Jul 2021

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                          Is the water coming out from under the t'stat housing or out from the studs?
                          If it's the bottom probably just the gasket leaking, try a new one and seal with Permatex Av grade. If you are using lock washers get rid of them and or add some sealer to the washers and nuts for a good seal.

Dave Neptune

Dave, is AV aviation grade?

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                            • Nov 2008

If you soak the thermostat in vinegar for awhile the soaking will clean it up.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                              • Jan 2007

Yes, aviation grade.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• roadnsky
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                                If you soak the thermostat in vinegar for awhile the soaking will clean it up.
                                Soak overnight and viola!
                                and while ur at it, I'd suggest changing out those old water hoses too.
                                Attached Files
                                -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                                sigpic
                                1978 RANGER 30

Comment

Working...
                                X