1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ronstory
      Afourian MVP
      • Feb 2016

It's just a pulls up and slides off the shaft, but I would still be gentle. If the plastic case cracks... that's annoying.
      Last edited by ronstory; 04-11-2020, 09:17 PM. Reason: typos
      Thanks,
      Ron
      Portland, OR

Comment

• rkohl44
        • Feb 2017

Thanks, both. Pull harder it is.

Comment

• ronstory
          Afourian MVP
          • Feb 2016

... gently.
          Thanks,
          Ron
          Portland, OR

Comment

• rkohl44
            • Feb 2017

I got the magnetic collar off, the plate off and found this inside. Oiled it up and everything moves well. The question is, due to the amount of rust, should I remove the distributor and super clean everything inside? Are replacement parts available? This is apparently the first time this distributor has ever been looked into since 1982.
            Attached Files

Comment

• thatch
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2009

If it were my distributor, I would pull it and completely clean it, however, before pulling it I would replace the rotor and make a mark showing which direction it is pointed. I would then make two marks at the base of the housing, one on the housing itself and one on the accessory drive. That way you can re-install it without having to re-time the ignition. Some of the internal parts can be lightly painted to slow down the rust cycle but other things, like the fly weights, should be left bare. Finally, if you go that far, Moyer sells springs that are far superior to the originals.
              Tom

Comment

• ronstory
                Afourian MVP
                • Feb 2016

Eew... That's Gooey.

I would take it apart and wipe off the rust you can with a paper towel and then stuff the pieces in a ziplock bag and add vinegar. Check it in 24 hour and if it's not clean check it one day later.

Dump the vinegar from the bag, add water and with baking soda and 'mix' a bit and do one final rinse with hot water. Then wipe dry and spray or wipe with a light oil.

Thatch has great pointers to avoid having to retime the engine... and get new springs.
                Thanks,
                Ron
                Portland, OR

Comment

• Pweismann23
                  • May 2019

Another distributor question

Hi -
                  I've got a 72 Ranger 33 in Berkeley.

I replaced the points with the electronic ignitor. What is the clearance between the magnetic collar and the magnetic sense supposed to be? And is this adjustment significant enough that the engine would not start unless correctly adjusted? Mine is .025.

With a new MM coil, the spark I get from the centre coil wire to ground at the block isn't impressive. If the voltage across the pos and neg of the coil is 12 volts, and the ohms 3.5 - 3.6, does that ensure that the plugs is sufficient and that the little spark I saw is good enough? Likewise the spark across the plugs looks anemic to me.

Last, will the engine not start if the rotor is not in the direction specified in the video?

Thanks for your help.

Paul
                  Mojo Berkeley

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • Jan 2007

Paul, first welcome to the MMI Forum.

You need to have a "crisp, snappy blue spark", especially with the EI.

RE the rotor and where it points. In the video it is pointing where "that" engine has had it's distributor installed when timed. The original from the factory setting is "like that" for quick assembly at the factory. If the distributor has ever been "removed" that position could change.

If you have not removed the distributor or the wires you should be OK. If you plan on removing do so at TDC on the firing stroke of #1 and mark the case where the rotor points and mark the block where the distributor mounts, then you can be sure on "your" engine.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• paulw
                      • May 2020

Distributor springs

Hi,
                      I am new Afourian. About the springs and counter weights: what is the mechanism that changes when the plugs fire, how is the advance accomplished, and why is it necessary?

I replaced my points with the ei, got a new carb, I hope this is the solution to no power in forward. It's time for a water trial. I'd love to know the reason and how for the advanced timing.

Would appreciate any education.

Paul

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Pweismann23 View Post
                        Hi -
                        I've got a 72 Ranger 33 in Berkeley.

I replaced the points with the electronic ignitor. What is the clearance between the magnetic collar and the magnetic sense supposed to be? And is this adjustment significant enough that the engine would not start unless correctly adjusted? Mine is .025.

With a new MM coil, the spark I get from the centre coil wire to ground at the block isn't impressive. If the voltage across the pos and neg of the coil is 12 volts, and the ohms 3.5 - 3.6, does that ensure that the plugs is sufficient and that the little spark I saw is good enough? Likewise the spark across the plugs looks anemic to me.

Last, will the engine not start if the rotor is not in the direction specified in the video?

Thanks for your help.

Paul
                        Mojo Berkeley
                        Paul, there is also a vertical alignment needed so the magnetic ring lines up. It is a sung fit as mentioned a little farther up in this thread, and the ring technically can only go on one way (it has a 'collar' on one side) to limit how far down you can press it on the shaft. I had to break off the collar and slide mine just a bit more than intended to line it up with the EI unit and get spark.
                        -Shawn
                        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                        sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                          • Jan 2007

Paul, the advance is necessary for proper performance. When idling AT LOW RPM's the engine runs best with the timing at about 0* or TDC (top dead center), however as the engine speeds up the "fire" needs to start a bit sooner so the expansion is pushing the piston down for good power. At these higher RPM's from IDLE to around 1600 RPM's the timing needs to advance the "time of the fire" to around 34* to make good power and run smoothly.

It is the CENTRIFUGAL advance that does this. The "COUNTER SHAFT" can advance the point of the spark as the advance weights move out against the springs and the cam (the plates with the groove) that advances the timing to 34* and then stops at 1600RPM's. This happens in all engines some mechanically like the A-4 and the newer computer controlled ones electronically.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
                          X