X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sam
    Afourian MVP
    • Apr 2010

Congrats. You did not mention this in the verbiage but some owners of "late" model A4's do not realize that they are sometimes winterizing only the exhaust manifold thru the by-pass hose. My only thought was with the difficulty in getting the engine to start you may have not run it enough to get to temperature "closing" the t-state and or clamping the by pass hose forcing the glygol thru the block? Just a precautionary thought.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by idreamOfSailing View Post
      I still want to go through the exercise of checking spark and timing since it's good to know how to do that but at least know how to do that
      Remember to service the distributor advance under the breaker plate also.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• idreamOfSailing
        • Jun 2018

Hi John, sorry, what is the distributor advance?

Comment

• Peter
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2016

The distributor advance is located underneath the plate that the electronic ignition module is located on.

Under there you will find some springs and some weights. These all need to be able to move freely. A little light lubricating coil will suffice if it all looks pretty clean.

Otherwise, you may wish to take it apart, clean it up and possibly replace the springs - they are available from Moyer but you need to be sure you get the correct springs for your distributor. A call to Moyer is recommended.

Peter

Comment

• idreamOfSailing
            • Jun 2018

So I think you're talking about INSIDE the distributor once the cap is removed, correct?

Comment

• roadnsky
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2008

Here's a couple of pics...
              Attached Files
              -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
              sigpic
              1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Sam
                Afourian MVP
                • Apr 2010

wow, looks a little dry but one of the cleanest that I have ever seen in working boat. I'd squirt a little lube or oil in there just to be safe and check the rotor movement for some "snap back"

Comment

Working...
                X