X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ando
    • Jul 2019

Anti-Siphon Kit Install

I ordered the MMI anti-siphon kit (and I assume it comes with instructions), but I am having a difficult time envisioning how this
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A1142C39-1AE9-4946-A499-257E7D6A25D1.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	205951
    attaches to the high point circled here

Name:	C5C58AB4-30BA-4FA7-AF29-AF2CEE382556.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	205952
    I plan on getting a new one of the water outlet hose circled in red, but would like to get any other parts needed to complete the job while I’m out.
    Anyone have pictures handy of their set up that they can share please?
  • W2ET
    Former Admin
    • Oct 2008

Check this.

Bill

Comment

• Ando
      • Jul 2019

Thank you W2ET.

That brings me to another Question: My hose is 7/8, should I get a 5/8 or 1/2? Either one would require changing the barbs on each end of it. Or should I Get a new 7/8 hose and 7/8 barbs that attach to the T fitting of the valve?

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

5/8 line is pretty much the norm on these A-4's. Some of the electric cooling guys have gone to the 7/8 though.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

The plastic piece, the check valve stays upright at the high point. Split the hose and attach at the two brass fittings. When the water (pressure) stops flowing (engine off) the check valve opens to let in air thus no siphon can start no watter happy engine .

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Ando
            • Jul 2019

Name:	19E1C9A0-FAE5-4972-8BCE-598F5C9385B7.jpg
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	201009

Question: which of the two is “better”

Ok so the one on the left is the hot section that was on the boat when I got it. I removed the wrapping around it to see just how the 7/8 barb (for the water line exit) is connected to it. Well, it is welded on.

The one on the right is an extra that I just happened to score awhile back, which has a 5/8 barb.

The left one looks a lot nicer because it is all welded and the barb is placed at an angle. If it is determined that the left one is better, how would you all change the 7/8 barb to a 5/8? Reducer? Cut it off and weld a new 5/8 barb in its place...I don’t think this is possible because the hole left in the hot section would be too big to weld a smaller 5/8 barb on...correct or no?

The one on the right is, well, different but has a 5/8 barb.
            Last edited by Ando; 10-04-2020, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

I'm attracted to the welded pipe based on elegance alone and I think the injection size reduction should be easy. Cut internal threads in the existing 7/8" O.D. fitting with a 3/8" NPT tap, cut a 3/8" x 6" pipe nipple in half and install one of the halves in the new threads with sealant. The O.D. of 3/8" NPT is 5/8", perfect for your needs.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
              X