Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 76.20.168.137
Old 05-11-2016, 11:44 PM

Engine won't start

I have an 76 Ericson 27 with an Atomic 4 that won't start. A little back ground,
father bought boat in 82, gave to me about 10 years ago. No work has ever been required on the engine but it does not get a lot of use. Had issues about 4-5 years ago with not wanting to run unless choked. Found sediment bowl 2/3 full of crud and screen plugged (don't know how engine ran at all). Bought new stainless steel bowl and screen. Last year engine started acting up again, would not run unless choked and then wouldn't run at all. Sediment bowl was clean. Sprayed carb cleaner into carb upon advice from mechanic; engine ran fine until the end of the season when it wanted to be choked again. Now will not start. Replaced spark plugs and fuel filter. Will run briefly when a little gas is squirted into the carb intake. Acts like it wants to start when throttle is at minimum and no choke but stalls as soon as throttle is increase or choke applied. I suspect either a carb problem or a bad fuel problem. HELP!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to vindauga For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-09-2020)
  #2   IP: 107.0.6.242
Old 05-12-2016, 12:21 AM
Afourian MVP

Talking

If the engine does not get a lot of use and the fuel tank doesn't get cleaned periodically a fuel problem is almost a certainty. The bad fuel cruds up the carb and not just the bowl. You should have a quality fuel filter/separator and change the cartridge regularly. Right now I suspect your main jet is plugged.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hanleyclifford For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-09-2020), vindauga (05-22-2016)
  #3   IP: 68.111.8.117
Old 05-12-2016, 01:22 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindauga View Post
Ie applied. I suspect either a carb problem or a bad fuel problem. HELP!!!!
It's not an either \ or. It's cause and effect. KRAP in the fuel will cause a carb problem. As Hanley said in his post. The KRAP that is serially plugging up the carb is coming from the tank. Serially cleaning the carb will not fix the root cause.

TRUE GRIT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JOHN COOKSON For This Useful Post:
  #4   IP: 71.7.216.119
Old 05-12-2016, 05:30 AM
Afourian MVP

I agree. Your engine requires fuel, compression, spark to run ... and it also needs air.

What you describe leads me to think fuel is the issue. If the boat is in the water, ensure the raw water intake valve is closed. If you have turned it over with the water intake valve open in this no start situation I'd consider getting some sort of oil into that top end and turning it over again to ensure the valves get coated JUST in case water got into the top end. If water gets to the valves it could seize them...so oil is good.

Now, with that said, it's an even better idea to have the carb off (you likely have to clean the carb anyway) when you do this. Reason is that excess oil you pour in through the plugs can end up in the carb when you turn it over.

If you are not burning a tank or more a year I'd be considering sucking out the tank, cleaning, blow out fuel lines, change filters, clean carb...allot of work but without it you could very well be looking at more of the same.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mo For This Useful Post: