• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.
    What were we talking about?....
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• GregH
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
      What were we talking about?....

Hallowe'en?
      Greg
      1975 Alberg 30
      sigpic

Comment

• GregH
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2015

Being able to take apart the extra dist in the comfort of the dining room table (shhh) I now have MUCH better idea who easy it is and how it all fits/works.

What do people use to clean up the advance?

With the dist still in the engine do you normally take the advance right out or use a q-tip and solvent? carb cleaner? They just look dirty not rusty.
        Greg
        1975 Alberg 30
        sigpic

Comment

• GregH
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2015

Was at the boat Saturday puttering about - hey it was up to 6C inside!

Hand cranked the engine again, which I did about every 3 weeks over the winter and this time had with me a smaller size pipe wrench to try and see if I could not persuade the stuck distributor to turn.

Backed off the clamp and in trying to get the pipe wrench to fit the blasted thing turned! Put my hand on top and could easily turn it left or right; very carefully I put it back to its original position. I am guessing that 5 months of winter with a splash of penetrating fluid was all it needed. Phew!

Another month and it'll be warm enough to start 'er up!
          Greg
          1975 Alberg 30
          sigpic

Comment

• GregH
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2015

Following up on this from last year, once I installed the vacuum gauge, I started fiddling with idle, the engine suddenly wouldn't idle less than 900, more like 1100. Could not figure it out....

So here I am on the weekend, checking things over before firing up for the first time and making sure linkages work, etc..

I notice the fuel lever does not set all the way against the idle stop... but why???

and then .. I notice that the small clear vacuum gauge hose (plastic) is caught between the lever and the stop!

Another lesson learned...
            Greg
            1975 Alberg 30
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X