• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregH
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2015

Water Pump Grease Cup

Morning Folks!

So here I am thinking that I'm just about set for my first season with the A-4 in the water... water... water.. water pump... lube... grease cup... !?

Never used one before - how often do you tighten it in? how much do you tighten each time? - it has been filled and screwed back on enough not to fall off.. but other than that help would be appreciated oh wise sages!

This could be a make or break!
    Greg
    1975 Alberg 30
    sigpic
  • tac
    • Nov 2015

Water Pump Grease Cup

I haven’t used the grease cup in years. I added the Moyer grease gun kit, which I see is out of stock:

It doesn’t take much grease - my ***ORIGINAL*** A4 manual says 1 to 1-1/2 turns.

Comment

• tac
      • Nov 2015

As to frequency, an older manual says,

“Lubrication of the water pump seals is provided from the grease cup located on the pump body. Periodically tighten the cup until some resistance is felt to force the grease into the drive shaft housing. When the grease cup cannot be turned further in, refill with a good grade of water pump grease.”

Comment

• roadnsky
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

I don't have a grease cup anymore thanks to my really cool MMI 502 pump.
        But I have an old note in my maintenance book that says 1 to 1½ turns every 10-15 hours of engine operation.
        YMMV...
        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
        sigpic
        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

I found a tractor lubrication spec from 1919 that called for 1 grease cup turn every 2 hours of operation on rotating shafts (as opposed to eccentrics). That seemed like a lot to me but I confess my three old Oberdorfer pumps all have (1 had) scored shafts. There's a new MMI 502 on my boat engine because I grew weary of rebuilding.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Nov 2008

Water pump grease is hard to find now days. I use boat trailer wheel bearing waterproof grease. It works great.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Sam
              Afourian MVP
              • Apr 2010

We have a short season in Chicago and I am on my second water pump in 40+ years [with some shaft scoring]. I use common white waterproof lithium grease, fill cup at beginning of season and turn till grease oozes out, clean and refill and turn in about 1/4 - 1/2 turn every outing.

Comment

• Golfdad75
                • Sep 2014

Grease cup?

I have a grease fitting on my water pump, but I never knew anything about tightening until the grease oozes out. Can some help me? Tighten what up. I have 4 bolts that hold the plate on

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  • Nov 2008

The details the water pump grease cup are covered on page 2-8 of the Moyer manual.
                  Every 50 hours or so give the grease cup two there turns to force more grease into the shaft area. Refill the cup as necessary.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• GregH
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Golfdad75 View Post
                    I have a grease fitting on my water pump, but I never knew anything about tightening until the grease oozes out. Can some help me? Tighten what up. I have 4 bolts that hold the plate on
                    The grease cap itself screws on. You fill it with proper grease and thread it on. Tighten it until you feel some resistance. For myself, if I screw it all the way on and no resistance, then I take it off, refill it and do it again. Once I feel some resistance then I stop. Periodically I give it 2 turns to force more grease in - again until I feel a little resistance (very subjective I know)
                    Greg
                    1975 Alberg 30
                    sigpic

Comment

• Smuggli
                      • Jul 2014

New Pump

I can’t say enough good things about the new pump from MMI. It makes changing the impeller (and checking) so much easier. Also love the pressure. A great and worthwhile upgrade. No grease cup to worry about.

Scott Muggli
                      S/V Anna Rita

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Smuggli View Post
                        I can’t say enough good things about the new pump from MMI. It makes changing the impeller (and checking) so much easier. Also love the pressure. A great and worthwhile upgrade. No grease cup to worry about.
                        Scott Muggli
                        S/V Anna Rita
                        +1 on all of the above.

Here's another reason I like the MMI pump.
                        The original oberdorfer pump leaked at the back plate. (RWC engine) I could not stop the leak no matter what I tried. I think there was crud in the threads which prevented effective tightening of the backplate screws.The A4 was running @ 155-160. I don't know if the leak was reducing the water pressure or what.

I finally gave up and installed a MMI pump. Now I run @ 130-135. No other changes were made. It seems the MMI pump just plain a better pump and has more output.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• sdemore
                          • Nov 2016

I had to move my boat to the travelift, to pull the mast a month or so ago. Learned that even drained and winterized, water stays in the pump and freezes, and when you crank the engine, the impeller turns into two pieces (the rubber impeller part and the metal shaft collar). Also figured out that there is an important drain plug on the pump for a reason.

While replacing it, i took the opportunity to repack the shaft. Filled the cup, screwed it all the way in, the refilled he cup again for later use. I can't remember where I read that, but somewhere it said to screw a full cap full in when you've had it apart and cleaned off the shaft.

Not sure of why, but I had about twice the water flow from the exhaust with the new impeller. The water was about 32.00000001 degrees, so don't know if it will run cooler now.
                          Steve Demore
                          S/V Doin' It Right
                          Pasadena, MD
                          sigpic

Comment

• toddster
                            • Aug 2011

Maybe the rubber isn't flexible enough at that temperature. Like Space Shuttle O-rings...

Comment

• Sam
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Apr 2010

For decades my SOP has been after winter haul out to carefully pull out the impeller & shaft, coat the shaft with light grease or oil, wrap in plastic and store. This provides a opportunity for impeller and gasket inspection. [Note, angle burr the shaft edges to facilitate safe re install]' Also can check if grease cup is working properly squeezing grease inward and not just oozing out of cup. You should always keep a couple of $3 Moyer gaskets and an extra impellor on board. Admittedly you have to be a little bit of a contortionist and handle a long needle nose pliers surgically, but I can't remember when the last time I had broken impellor vane.

Comment

Working...
                              X