X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cygnus x1
    • Aug 2011

Mech engine control

Not sure where to post this question. I have the side mounted (cockpit) Morse two lever control on a '80 Catalina C30. The PO left this a hot mess. I'm sure it is missing parts, as it has a PVC tube (not the chrome) cover over the trans shift lever. There is nothing holding the shift lever housing to the hex shaft, other than a bunch of washers stacked up between the end plate on one side and throttle lever housing on the other.

My problem is there is considerable friction between the shift lever and the throttle, which causes the throttle lever to move forward and increase the engine RPM, when shifting from reverse to neutral, or neutral to forward. Not the best thing when your trying to dock.

My question is what holds the shift lever housing to the hex shaft? I see a grove cut in the hex shaft section, where I presume a pin or set screw is supposed to mate to the grove. I do not see a threaded hole in the shift lever housing for a pin or Allen set screw (like used on the throttle lever housing)?

I have read where this model Morse was supposed to have removable levers? The throttle level snaps in and out, but the shift lever is frozen in place to the housing? Does the shift lever somehow hold it on the hex shaft? Without a pin or set screw, it is sliding back and forth on the hex shaft section.

I called Catalina, but they had no information other than it was a Morse control. They could not even tell me the model number? I do not see a model number anywhere on the control.

I know this is a lot to read through, but if you own one of these controls, maybe you had yours apart and can explain what I'm missing???
    Jeff

MAHAHO '80 Catalina C30 TRBS # 1704
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Jeff, I had a Morse unit like that. The two levers were on separate shafts, a shaft and a counter shaft. Don't remember many details but there was no stack of washers. I think something either broke or was lost during a disassembly by the PO. The washers must be part of the fix. I doubt any parts would be available so I'd check google for images and or parts.

Might be time for a new control. There are many "ships chandlers" around and finding a used one may not be to difficult.

A few pics may ring someone else's bell.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Agree - sounds like a PO has jury rigged a poor fix.
      My '73 Tartan 30 had a Marmac control. I believe Marmac was bought out by Morse, so could originally have been a similar unit. Fortunately, I was able to keep mine functional!
      Shopping a boat breaker may be your best bet. Last I checked, a new unit with similar function was $600-$700, likely pushing $1K today.

Comment

• cygnus x1
        • Aug 2011

Thanks all.

I tried several parts brokers, but no luck...yet. I may try to cut a few washers from a Teflon sheet and replace a few washers...should help with friction.

Has anyone tried the Pedestal Control Retrofit kit from Catalina Direct for the Edison/Atomic 4 (on a '80 Catalina C30)? More money than I wanted to spend, but may be forced into it.

With the shift cable being so stiff, I'm not going to be able to conceal it well, and it may end up hanging down in the aft berth.
        Jeff

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by cygnus x1 View Post
          Has anyone tried the Pedestal Control Retrofit kit from Catalina Direct for the Edison/Atomic 4 (on a '80 Catalina C30)? More money than I wanted to spend, but may be forced into it.
          I have one. How can I help?
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Al Schober
            Afourian MVP
            • Jul 2009

How about leaving the shift where it is and moving the throttle to the pedestal?

Comment

• cygnus x1
              • Aug 2011

Neil,
              How did you route the shift cable? Does it hang down in the aft berth? How long of a Teleflex shift cable did you use?

Maybe a picture of how you routed it?

I guess I need to ask, does it shift well with the lever up on the pedestal?

Thanks for taking time to help.

Jeff
              Jeff

Comment

• cygnus x1
                • Aug 2011

Al,
                The throttle lever is holding everything in place. If I move it, I will have a sloppy mess with the shift lever only.

Jeff
                Jeff

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Jeff, I don't remember the exact length of the replacement cables but they run with as few turns as possible. From the bottom of the pedestal they drift toward the port quarter berth riser, go through the quarter berth bottom and make a turn forward along the hull, under the cabin sole and the shift cable attaches to the lower hole on the shifting arm, port side of the engine. So yes, they encroach through the quarter berth but I fabricated my own fiberglass shroud to cover the cables and wiring. I'll take some pictures this weekend.

Shifting requires some force but it shifts fine. I can hardly tell the difference between it and the old cockpit location. Keep the turns to a minimum and as soft as can be and you'll be fine.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Boat
                    • Aug 2014

i had this exact thing when i got my boat. i looked everywhere and it is very hard to find for some reason. there were a few similar types, but very expensive. i took it apart and machined some new UHMW types washers and other bits to make it work. sorry this is not much of an answer. i feel your pain
                    '69 Newport 30 MKI Hull #20

Comment

• edwardc
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Aug 2009

If you have a 3D printer capable of high temperatures (~400), you can print a nylon washer in the exact shape needed.
                      Last edited by edwardc; 06-26-2020, 09:38 AM.
                      @(^.^)@ Ed
                      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Administrator
                        MMI Webmaster
                        • Oct 2004

One of my grandsons 3D-prints stuff and might be able to help. Don't know about the UHMW and temp requirements, though. I think he normally uses ABS.

Can you describe the desired specs?

Bill
                        Last edited by Administrator; 06-26-2020, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• cygnus x1
                          • Aug 2011

Thanks for the 3-D print offer, but I cut some washers with a hole saw out of 1/8" Teflon. So far it is working a lot better. Still would like to find a stock chrome cover for the shift lever. The PVC pipe end cap set up is a little sloppy.
                          Jeff

Comment

Working...
                          X