Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#26   IP: 69.250.111.245
Old 12-28-2020, 07:17 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_B29 View Post
I do have a two burner alcohol stove on board but I really don’t even like to use that.

Elizabeth
Hi - I snipped a lot of your excellent message. I shifted from a Princess pressurized alcohol stove to an unpressurized Origo. I really like it and believe it is quite a bit safer than the old Princess. I also use my Magma up on deck whenever I can. I even keep my 1lb. propane cans for that in a sealed container. What type of alcohol stove do you have?

edit - I have also heard some ideas about using an alcohol stove to heat the cabin..such as placing terra cotta flower pots and similar over top, and/or creating some small temporary chimneys to get the fumes out. When I was a kid, we had a Coleman camp heater in the galley and I do remember we cracked the hatch a little bit, but I can't remember how many gallons we burned in that portable heater...a lot...and I lived to tell about it.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 12-28-2020 at 07:36 PM.
  #27   IP: 100.36.65.17
Old 12-29-2020, 09:12 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastanley View Post
Hi - I snipped a lot of your excellent message. I shifted from a Princess pressurized alcohol stove to an unpressurized Origo. I really like it and believe it is quite a bit safer than the old Princess. I also use my Magma up on deck whenever I can. I even keep my 1lb. propane cans for that in a sealed container. What type of alcohol stove do you have?

edit - I have also heard some ideas about using an alcohol stove to heat the cabin..such as placing terra cotta flower pots and similar over top, and/or creating some small temporary chimneys to get the fumes out. When I was a kid, we had a Coleman camp heater in the galley and I do remember we cracked the hatch a little bit, but I can't remember how many gallons we burned in that portable heater...a lot...and I lived to tell about it.
I used to be a fan of the flowerpot-on-the-stove heater. Not any more.

Although, in principle, an alcohol stove (I have an Origo too) burns cleanly, this is only true when the flame is adjusted correctly, which is rarely the case. Unless its pure pale blue, any yellow means incomplete combustion and byproducts. One of these is CO (carbon monoxide). I learned this by setting off the CO alarm when we closed up during a rainstorm while boiling a pot of water. Some googling later, I learned that almost any disruption of the flame, such as the bottom of a pot, can result in incomplete combustion and the production of CO.

So, no more flowerpots, and we now cook with the hatches open.

---
Edit:

Here's a reference to a TON of info on cooking in tents and CO. Its relevant to boats as well.

http://zenstoves.net/COHazard.htm

Last edited by edwardc; 12-29-2020 at 09:19 AM.
  #28   IP: 38.27.109.137
Old 12-29-2020, 09:16 AM
Former Admin

I've debated getting one of those little butane stoves you see hotels using to make omelets for the breakfast crowd.

Comments?

I've learned a lot from this thread, starting with nothing is as simple as it seems.

Bill
  #29   IP: 100.36.65.17
Old 12-29-2020, 09:25 AM
Afourian MVP

George Dinwiddie, an A4/Alberg 30 owner and maintainer of the Alberg 30 website, has been using one of those for years on his Alberg 30 "Calypso" and really likes it.

#30   IP: 138.207.177.95
Old 12-29-2020, 11:11 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2ET View Post
I've debated getting one of those little butane stoves you see hotels using to make omelets for the breakfast crowd.

Comments?

I've learned a lot from this thread, starting with nothing is as simple as it seems.

Bill
To cook on or heat boats?
For cooking, those and Coleman propane camp stoves are a pennies on the dollar substitutes for "real" marine stoves. They are safe enough *if the gas is stored outside when not in use*!
As stated earlier, I am not in favor of open flame non-vented cabin heating ideas. Besides for CO or CO2 poisoning, due keep in mind how very fast fiberglass boats burn. We had a live-aboard boat go up so fast at our marina the owner barely made it out it went from no problem to fully in flames so fast

Last edited by joe_db; 12-29-2020 at 11:23 AM.
  #31   IP: 38.27.109.137
Old 12-29-2020, 12:24 PM
Former Admin

Cooking only, Joe.

+1 on fiberglass burning. Maybe 3-4 years ago, my volunteer fire company and several mutual aid companies threw everything we had at a brand new million dollar+ powerboat on fire at the dock. Despite our best efforts, she burned right to the waterline.

Bill

Last edited by W2ET; 12-29-2020 at 02:52 PM.
  #32   IP: 134.41.89.226
Old 12-29-2020, 01:10 PM
Afourian MVP

Butane works.

Around here most people with small boats have a butane unit that stows after use. Most don't use alcohol stoves which came with the boats because they are slow. So what they do is make a wooden cover over their stove and use the butane stove on there to cook. I did it on my C&C 24 for the 9 years I owned that. I'd be BBQ-ing on the back rail and Melinda would be cooking whatever we were having with the steaks. Fast, boils water quickly etc. Again, much safety in stowage required and we never left the bottle in the unit and the butane bottles were in the rail bag.. We used about 3 of those little butane cans per year...that was it. They last a long time.

I know of lots of people on smaller boats that still use them. We are talking pocket cruisers that overnight here and there. These are the ones that have a butane stove and propane lantern for light and a bit heat...very common up here. Everyone ventilates with a hatch open and no headlines.

In 1995 I was in Hampton Va doing a Paramedic preceptor-ship with Hampton Fire and Rescue. A multi million dollar yacht burned very nearly under a bridge one night. This thing was anywhere from 70 to 100 feet long...don't recall. I was on the Ambulance and we were about 3 rd on scene. While hauling hose one of the guys commented and I looked around to see the superstructure fold in on itself in slow motion and then the flames lit up the area.

Same as Bill said, we couldn't put it out. Foam going into it as well as water from multiple engines and ladders trucks...it went out when it sank. I do believe they found a body in that...pretty sure in bed but can't really remember that clearly. This place blocked up with arriving apparatus and the foam supply was called after initial scene assessment. A truckload of foam showed up. My job on that one was one of the guys wheeling the plastic barrels of foam out to a forward engine with a two wheel dolly. The foam supply truck was about 1500 feet back and I had two of those foam containers on each resupply run, hose over hose up to the front of the line. There were quite a few of us hauling foam to the front.

If you ever smell fiberglass resin in your yacht club look for smoke...when fiberglass starts to heat up it gases off and smell almost like new resin being laid. I've heard people smell resin when it hasn't flashed yet...anyway, something for the back of the mind.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mo For This Useful Post:
sastanley (12-29-2020), TimBSmith (12-31-2020)
  #33   IP: 138.207.177.95
Old 12-29-2020, 01:35 PM
Afourian MVP

http://www.dellabarba.com/sailing/gor/GOR.html
Scroll down to see the photo of a burning boat and the story. IMHO nothing is as dangerous to cook on as a pressurized alcohol stove.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joe_db For This Useful Post:
Mo (12-29-2020), W2ET (12-29-2020)
  #34   IP: 134.41.89.226
Old 12-29-2020, 03:04 PM
Afourian MVP

I just spent a little while on the boat and had the heater going. Boat is a mess, but it is on the hard. What you can see though is how a heater can be tucked into a spot that is fairly safe from interference or contact of flammable material. For this particular boat that's a common sense spot for a portable heater with the hatch cracked open. I have a wood burning stove for the boat but it would be too close to everything. The chimney would have to go through and be close to the cabin top, I'd lose space of cupboard and settee seating and it would be right in the middle of the actual place where people are. One other consideration of my solid fuel stove is that you just don't flip a switch to shut it off and kill the heat. This isn't the premier solution for a boat, but it works and has worked a long time. Not every boat is set up the same. I'd love to have a bigger bulkhead space and mount something there. I thought of the espar type heaters but I wouldn't run the exhaust and intake from the top, which means it has to run the length to the stern...not doing that either. So I stayed with practical and it goes away when not in use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWMEEt1tV2M

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 12-29-2020 at 03:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mo For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (12-31-2020)
  #35   IP: 134.41.89.226
Old 12-29-2020, 05:01 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_db View Post
http://www.dellabarba.com/sailing/gor/GOR.html
Scroll down to see the photo of a burning boat and the story. IMHO nothing is as dangerous to cook on as a pressurized alcohol stove.
Exactly why I took my pressurized alcohol cooking stove out and replaced it with propane. I could never get it to just light up without this big flash and out of control burn. Once my wife saw it a replacement had instant approval. She did like the old butane we had on our old boat. I'm not really sure where that is now, I might have given it to someone or it might be in the garage. I ended up putting a propane stove with oven in the year we got the boat and ran it and the BBQ from a steel 20 lb tank on the stern. After a couple of years I was getting fouling of the propane fuel from rust within the tank itself. That rusty fuel also fouled my burners. The solution was a 20lb fiberglass tank. No problems since.
I also tape all of my propane hose that is subjected to sunlight...just white electrical tape protects from UV damage to the rubber.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

Last edited by Mo; 12-29-2020 at 05:12 PM.
  #36   IP: 104.174.83.118
Old 12-29-2020, 06:56 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Historical reading again:
https://www.moyermarineforum.com/for...19&postcount=8
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #37   IP: 172.58.75.212
Old 12-30-2020, 12:21 PM
Afourian MVP

Another way to go is to install a "central air" AC/HEAT system.
Of course, not the cheapest. BUT certainly safe and efficient.

Where I live, I absolutely NEED the Air Conditioning part of the unit
but this time of year the heater side really is a nice benefit.
Push a button and instant warm air blowing in the main cabin and forward berth.

I'm writing this post from the boat.
Woke up this morning... outside temp 35f... inside a toasty 72f
Attached Images

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
The Following User Says Thank You to roadnsky For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (12-31-2020)
  #38   IP: 134.41.89.226
Old 12-30-2020, 02:04 PM
Afourian MVP

Is that a heat pump you have there? That is wicked. My house main heat here in Nova Scotia is a heat pump. I love the friggin thing but never knew they made them small....I'd do that in a heartbeat.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The Following User Says Thank You to Mo For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (12-31-2020)
  #39   IP: 138.207.177.95
Old 12-30-2020, 02:35 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Is that a heat pump you have there? That is wicked. My house main heat here in Nova Scotia is a heat pump. I love the friggin thing but never knew they made them small....I'd do that in a heartbeat.
Be aware there is a lower limit for them. The discharge water is colder than the inlet water by a few degrees, so when it gets close to freezing the water freezes up in the coils.
The Following User Says Thank You to joe_db For This Useful Post:
Mo (12-30-2020)
  #40   IP: 172.58.75.172
Old 12-31-2020, 11:21 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_db View Post
Be aware there is a lower limit for them. The discharge water is colder than the inlet water by a few degrees, so when it gets close to freezing the water freezes up in the coils.
I haven't had that issue here. (Water never gets below about low 50's)
I guess if you were in freezing climate I could see that happening.

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30