Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 69.159.85.195
Old 10-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Frequent Contributor

#4 no workie

After deciding (at the end of the season) that my A4 was not running as proper as she may have at one time, I did some poking around with my no contact thermometer and discovered that the #4 plug/cylinder (closest to the trannie) was not firing. A visual examination shows that the #1-3 plugs have soot and discoloration from use where as the #4 looks basically brand new, no carbon or discoloration at all but there is presence of fuel (nose test)

The other thing is that I do notice a small trace of either oil or gas in the exhaust water when running

Is this a worn head gasket? A stuck valve? Bad ring? Poor point contact? Bad luck?

What is the easy way to test for spark? I have limited tools, a mutimeter and a bag of hammers...

Would running the engine on only 3 tubes damage the 4th?

I'm going down today and see if switching the plugs around has any effect. I will also see if I can have a peek at the valves from the plug receptacles as well. The boat hauls out in a week which might be a better time to pull the head and check the gasket.

There is no sign of water contamination in the oil. Oil pressure sits at 50 at idle and drops to 40-45 when run at higher RPM. Water is 135 and seems to never ever change. The boat was built in '67 and I have to assume this A4 is original to the boat and I have no history on the engine, this is my 4th year with the boat.

If any of you bright folks have any ideas please let me know..

Cheers
  #2   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 10-04-2016, 01:16 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
cheers, welcome to the MMI Afourian Forum.

Don't pull the head until you have done a first dry and then a wet compression test~could save a lot of work.

Post a pic of the plugs if you can. Also sound like she may be running a bit rich too IE the soot. Try opening the IDLE AIR SCREW a bit over a quarter of a turn to see if it helps or the idle improves.

Changing the plugs around is a good idea just be careful not to juggle the wires.

Do you have points ao an electronic ignition?

Dave Neptune
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Neptune For This Useful Post:
deepthought (10-04-2016)
  #3   IP: 161.213.49.150
Old 10-04-2016, 01:27 PM

To check for spark at the plug start the engine, pull the wire boot off, put a screwdriver in it and see it you can jump an arc to the plug.
You can see if there is some compression by putting your thumb over the spark plug hole and cranking the engine.
If you still suspect the head gasket a metered compression test is in order. The thumb test will not verify that there is enough compression to drive the piston effectively, only that there is none present. You could compare the thumb test to the feel of a known working cylinder.

A BIG WELCOME TO THE FORUM. HANG AROUND. YOU'LL LEARN A LOT.

TRUE GRIT
The Following User Says Thank You to JOHN COOKSON For This Useful Post:
deepthought (10-04-2016)
  #4   IP: 161.213.49.150
Old 10-04-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthought View Post
. Water is 135 and seems to never ever change. Cheers
I just spotted this in your original post. If the meter always reads 135 the needle may be corroded on 135. Or the needle may be touching 135 then be blocked from moving further by corrosion.
Are you RWC? There may be some KRAP around the sending that is insulating it. Also there may be a mineral deposit on the sending unit that is insulating it. This exact scenario happened to me.
Don't put an open end wrench on the sending unit. It will only round the soft brass. Use a socket or a closed end wrench. I had good luck with a closed end wrench and a hammer. You can start the engine and get it good and hot then while the engine is still running try to loosen the sending unit. The heat + vibration will help loosen it.

TRUE GRIT
The Following User Says Thank You to JOHN COOKSON For This Useful Post:
deepthought (10-04-2016)
  #5   IP: 99.243.144.4
Old 10-04-2016, 03:44 PM

I had the same issue with #4 not firing - the issue followed the plug, so the plug was the problem. I changed plug #4 and it has worked since.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bratina For This Useful Post:
deepthought (10-04-2016)
  #6   IP: 69.159.85.195
Old 10-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

Wow

Faster response please next time everyone...LOL.

Thanks for all the input folks.

So today was too breezy to drop the mast so I spent a few hours playing spark plug chess.

#1,2 & 3 were reading about 90C abd #4 about 50C. I was taking my readings of the hex part of the plug while the A4 was running after about 30 minutes. The low reading on #4 was what made me think I might have a dead cylinder/plug issue. So thinking that #4 plug might just be a dud, I swapped it with the existing #1 plug and moved the formerly known as #4, to #1. Now my temp readings shift and show #1 as being the cold one about 60C and the rest showing about 90-100C. OK, it's the plug then right? Well I'm not so sure. Taking the now #1 plug out (RJ12C) and swapping with a used (B6S which I am not sure what the difference is..) The cold plug is now #2.

So I can safely check off any ignition from the coil magneto coil etc bla bla bla. And this would now point that my tubes are at least OK.

My thoughts are as such:

Go and get a full set of brand new plugs and run the machine and see what's what. It seems like #2 fouls the worst.

Yes, I don't have too much faith in my temperature sender I never see that needle move, it's pegged at 135. I have a spare/replacement gauge and sender I might install tomorrow just for fun. f it's oil I am ok with that, but if it's gasoline, I am a little concerned, but I have no way to figure out which it may be.

The other school of thought is that I might just be a hypochondriac and that there is no problem at all. However I am still concerned about the oil/gas that comes out of the exhaust.

And yes it's RWC
And yes it's old school ignition (points 'n stuff)
Does anyone know what the difference in spark plugs is? Would 3 of one type and one of another be a poor idea?

Also, is there a way of testing or verifying that all cylinders are actually firing?

Thanks again for all your input, in know my issues are minor but I am dealing with an ancient engine here and am a little intimidated.

Cheers
  #7   IP: 69.159.85.195
Old 10-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

NB

I will proof read my post next time before I post. Sorry, cat on the keyboard syndrome.
  #8   IP: 71.178.90.206
Old 10-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Afourian MVP

DT, even though you are not a newbie to the A-4, welcome to the forum as a n00b.

The way to verify all cylinders are firing is to pull a single spark plug wire at a time while the motor is running..you should notice a difference as you pull and replace each plug wire. A $20 compression gauge from the local auto store is also invaluable in this type of test situation, as Dave recommended above.

So, when my motor was new to me...I had a sticky #4 valve..Since you hopefully have a couple days before haul (winterize), I would liberally squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) into the #4 and turn the motor over by hand if you can, or blip the starter to move it around in that #4 and maybe loosen up the offensive valve. This does not always work right away..it took mine several applications and weeks, but i didn't have to pull the head unnecessarily. It will be a bit smokey on fire up, especially if you can get that plug to fire and make some compression.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
The Following User Says Thank You to sastanley For This Useful Post:
deepthought (10-04-2016)
  #9   IP: 69.159.85.195
Old 10-04-2016, 09:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

test

Thank you Shawn, that was exactly the info I was seeking. I was planing on trying that but lived in fear of burning out the coil or some other part of A4 voodoo.

Cheers
  #10   IP: 71.178.90.206
Old 10-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Afourian MVP

Nah..if you've been running a while on 3 cyls, it won't get any worse. I ran my motor for several hours before that silly #4 exhaust valve popped loose and started closing. The #4 plug may still in fact be firing, just not burning anything well since there is no compression.

The real check is a compression test, and before you dump oil in it, which can affect the results.

Edit - DT, BTW - alcodiesel posted a great pic of his motor which shows you where the serial number should be stamped. I stole this from his post in another thread.
There should also be a date stamp on the block (6 digit number, mine is 041976, indicating April 19, 1976), underneath the carb, and a little hard to see unless you remove the carb.
Attached Images

"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)

Last edited by sastanley; 10-04-2016 at 10:42 PM.
  #11   IP: 98.171.165.41
Old 10-05-2016, 01:26 AM

Have a look inside the distributor cap to check and be sure there is no arcing or electrical communication between the terminals or any other weird stuff going on. Also check the towers to see if they are bright and shiny. A piece of sandpaper on a pencil will clean the towers up. Be sure the contacts on the wires are bright and shiny also.
How long has it been since you have replaced the distributer cap and rotor?

TRUE GRIT
  #12   IP: 107.77.70.123
Old 10-05-2016, 09:10 AM
Afourian MVP

I'm not sure how reliable these temperatures really are. They're certainly measuring something but I don't know they're measuring what you're interpreting them to be. Do the wire-pull test, and check the compression of each cylinder. It's possible you have several intermittently sticking valves - the prevention of which I'd suggest adding several cups of Marvel Mystery Oil to a full tank of fuel regardless, on an ongoing basis.

If you have questions about the ignition components I'd suggest replacing all the plugs, the wires, the rotor, and the cap now, running the engine between each to make sure nothing is getting boffed up, like the wires getting put on in an order other than 1-2-4-3. (You checked that already, right?) Next spring once she's running again replace the points and condenser, or install electronic ignition for not much more money. And the coil, if you're feeling flush.
  #13   IP: 76.179.157.47
Old 10-05-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenders View Post
running the engine between each to make sure nothing is getting boffed up
This is great advice, often not mentioned. You've got a lot of good suggestions here for troubleshooting. Take them one at a time, and make sure you understand the results before taking the next step. That will help you make sense of it, and help us in diagnosing.

S/V Bunny Planet
1971 Bristol 29 #169
  #14   IP: 128.29.43.2
Old 10-05-2016, 10:22 AM

DT - let me echo previous expressions of "welcome aboard" to the forum. As you have already discovered: You have come to the right place, where the experts regularly and liberally dispense their wisdom.

I have no such expertise to dispense, just some experience with sticky valves and the like. So, my recommendations to you are very simple:

1. Get the Moyer maintenance manual, if you don't already possess it. This is your primary reference that you should use to orient yourself to your engine. The Moyer Manual is a treasure trove of info, complete with "hand holding" instructions to troubleshoot your engine. I have found it to be immensely valuable. And by boat bucks standards, it is essentially free.

2. I previously had issue with my water temp gauge - unreliable readings. While I was troubleshooting sticky valves etc, I found the handheld temp gauges like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to be very useful. You can get a reading on #4 and relate it to each of the other 3 while under operating conditions. Very useful for troubleshooting. Then later, you can take readings for anything you desire, (e.g., your exhaust etc). Like the Moyer manual, this IR thermometer is essentially free. After I got everything sorted out with the valves, and the engine running smoothly, then I followed the specific directions provided here on the forum to replace my sending unit, without issue.

3. Lastly, if you follow the troubleshooting advice provided here and in the Moyer manual, you will not only remedy secondary issues, but you will also identify and resolve root causes. With minimal time and expense, getting you back on the water soonest, with confidence in your beastie.
  #15   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 10-05-2016, 10:50 AM

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Cheers, yes it is somewhat common to run a hotter plug in a cylinder that is low on compression and passing some oil up past the rings otherwise there is no reason. I ran the RJ12C Champions for over 30 years in my old A-4.

As you have a point type ignition taking a look at the "dwell" with a meter is a good idea.

Get the gage replaced then worry about temps.

Sounds like you do have a bad plug and replacing them can only help if not fix.

Dave Neptune
  #16   IP: 69.159.85.195
Old 10-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

CONFUSION ALERT!

I did check the firing wiring, the odd thing I noticed is that the #1 comes off 6 O clock # 2 off the 9 O clock #3 12 and #4 3 o clock (and yes the 3 and 4 are crossed over correctly) So they follow the clockwise sequence but start differently than what I have read to be normal. I am guessing that's just the way the timing was set up on this particular engine..?

Also I did try to do a compression test yesterday, but I could not get the tester to thread into the plug receptacle all the way as to seat the O-ring to the top of the hole. I did not want to force anything. so there is about .25" of thread still showing. Would it be ok to take a wrench and giver a bit of love, or will I run the risk of pooching the thread or damage a piston head?

Again a big shout out to all of you that have shared your thoughts.

Cheers

I am going to pick up a new set of plugs, clean the cap and cables and then pull the wires one at a time with her running and make some notes. I have some MMO on hand to play with as well.
  #17   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 10-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Your firing order is off. Starting with #1 and going clockwise around the distributor cap it should be 1-2-4-3.
  #18   IP: 161.213.49.150
Old 10-05-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
Your firing order is off. Starting with #1 and going clockwise around the distributor cap it should be 1-2-4-3.
I'm confused that your engine even runs.
Let's go back to home base and start from there. Turn the engine until #1 cylinder is at TDC compression. Then look to see which terminal in the distributor cap that the rotor is pointing to. Run the wires as mentioned above to the spark plugs in the correct order starting with #1 cylinder.
Is sounds to me like your distributor has been rotated from the stock position. Even if this proves to be true your engine will run normal as long as the two conditions mentioned above are correct.
How tight is the distributor hold down arm?
Let's be sure the ignition is correct before we consider stuck valves, blown head gaskets, compression problems, water in the cylinder, misfiring spark plugs ect,ect...............

TRUE GRIT
  #19   IP: 71.178.88.11
Old 10-05-2016, 08:05 PM
Afourian MVP

John, I didn't want to confuse the issue, but you are right..we've got to get TDC and timing correct.
  #20   IP: 69.159.85.195
Old 10-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

I will be making a trip to CT tomorrow. They did not have the RJ12C spark plugs but have ordered the equivalents for me to pick up.
  #21   IP: 161.213.49.150
Old 10-06-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthought View Post
I did check the firing wiring, the odd thing I noticed is that the #1 comes off 6 O clock # 2 off the 9 O clock #3 12 and #4 3 o clock (and yes the 3 and 4 are crossed over correctly) So they follow the clockwise sequence but start differently than what I have read to be normal. I am guessing that's just the way the timing was set up on this particular engine..?
On a distributor that is wired in the original or stock manner the wire to #1 cylinder is at 9o'clock when the engine is viewed from the flywheel end, 3o'clock from the tranny end, 12o'clock from the manifold side, and 6o'clock when viewed from the distributor side.

But none of this matters. You can put the four wires anywhere you want on the distributor cap then cross them or even tie them in a knot (assuming the wires are long enough) as long as spark the engine sees is at the correct time and in the correct firing sequence you'll be good to go.

If I'm understanding deepthought's wiring sequence correctly the spark the engine sees is in the correct firing order with wires 3 & 4 crossed.

TRUE GRIT
Attached Images
File Type: pdf A4 WIRING.pdf (418.8 KB, 954 views)
  #22   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 10-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Perhaps there is a misunderstanding with his description. I read #2 was followed by #3 and the red flag went up right there. Plug wires are numbered by the cylinder they serve.
  #23   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 10-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Afourian MVP

John, I understand what you are saying..it seemed to me that perhaps DT's dizzy was simply rotated 90° clockwise from what we all call the "normal" configuration, but then there was the confusion about the #3 & #4 wires in my mind too.

I say we help the n00b with his new plugs and making sure we have the timing and plug wires 'correct', and then move forward from there..one thing at a time.

Speaking of plug wires, where is rigspelt's old highlighter pen diagram???? however, that PDF you posted is certainly clear and should get everyone on the same page.
  #24   IP: 69.158.155.61
Old 10-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

New plugs today. Runs like a champ. Will post the long story soon.
  #25   IP: 71.178.88.11
Old 10-06-2016, 09:01 PM
Afourian MVP

DT, good news. I have had a bad plug plague me too (actually in #4, which has always been the weakest cylinder since I've owned the boat. ). Look forward to hearing the details.

Tags
cylinder, exhaust, gasket, spark, valve