Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Reversing Gear

#1   IP: 107.72.162.111
Old 04-04-2015, 01:25 PM

can anyone help me

I adjusted the reverse band and forward clutches and now I can't get the transmission to stay in forward with out me holding it in. What causes this. Are they too loose out too tight? Do I need to adjust the linkage. All I did was messed with the clutch plates. Thanks
  #2   IP: 24.138.22.213
Old 04-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Afourian MVP

Minor technical difficulty.

Hi, put a note regarding what you did for adjustment and we will reply...also ensure the cable is attached firmly prior to shifter on the reversing gear...usually about 6 to 8 inches back...there should be a clamp that holds that end firm.

If you would like to give me a call at 902 four61 one228 I'd be happy to tell you how to do it and it would take about 5 minutes.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 04-04-2015 at 04:14 PM.
  #3   IP: 173.48.103.104
Old 04-04-2015, 04:05 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

Sounds like you may have adjusted the forward too tight so it doesn't snap into gear at all.
  #4   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 04-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Afourian MVP

boat..
If you moved the adjusting ring more than one hole, you've probably moved it too much. Time to start over..
First, disconnect the shift cable from transmission and remove the cover. Back off the adjusting ring, shift it into forward (using the lever), then gently tighten the ring - try shifting in and out of fwd. It should go with a bit of effort - too easy, tighten one slot. You get the idea... When you reinstall the screw, make sure it aligns with a slot.
With the transmission in forward, move the shift lever to forward and see how the holes line up. If the hole in the cable fork moves more than 1/8" past the transmission lever hole, you have to adjust the cable otherwise you'll run out of travel for reverse and neutral.
Reconnect the cable and back off the reverse adjustment so it's loose. Move the shift lever to reverse and see how far that sliding bar moves - make a mark on the bar with a pencil. Then start tightening up the reverse adjustment until you have about 1/8" less travel on the bar with a good push into reverse.
What's left is neutral - some folks even have the lever straight up for neutral, but it's rare.

Tags
clutch, forward, friction, reverse, transmission