• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zellerj
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2005

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
    I ran the ICW and got 1 statute mile to a gallon of gas. I always use MMO also.

This was on my Tartan 34, 12000 pounds, just launched clean bottom. Indigo prop, 6 kn, 2000 rpm. Some current helped, some hurt.
    Are you sure that you did not mean 1 hour per gallon, which would put it at about 6 miles per gallon?
    Jim Zeller
    1982 Catalina 30
    Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• edwardc
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
      ... if you lash a bunch of fuel jugs on deck, in addition to the obvious issues with safety and seaworthiness, you are going to look like exactly what you are - a "floater". ....
      There's another potential issue.

A few years ago, I helped a friend move his sailboat down the Chesapeake Bay on the first leg of a trip down the ICW to florida. In addition to his internal 30 gallon tank, he had six 5-gallon plastic jerry jugs lashed on deck. While I was chatting with our marina owner before departing, he told me that the Department of Homeland Security had "requested" that marina owners notify them of any vessel departing with more than 5 gallons of gas in jerry jugs!

Being a sailor himself, he declined their request.

But I wonder if all those jugs might get you boarded. Anyone ever heard of that happening?
      @(^.^)@ Ed
      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

I am using the Indigo prop on a 35 footer and at my cruise of 7" of manifold I get 2100 RPM's and use just under .9 GPH. Nothing fancy just an EI, stock plugs and carb. She runs great and has for 44 years so far!!!!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

I always plan 1 GPH, but I don't think I burn quite that much. This fall, I was calculating fuel burn at 1 GPH, and when I went to winterize the motor, I'd figured I could put 10 gallons in the tank to fill it based on the hour meter..I could only add about 8, so I am somewhere in the .8/gal hour range I think.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• romantic comedy
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

Originally posted by zellerj View Post
            Are you sure that you did not mean 1 hour per gallon, which would put it at about 6 miles per gallon?
            Thanks Jim. Who knows what I was trying to type.

6 statute miles to a gallon, I would suppose, lol

Comment

• romantic comedy
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

Could the second tank be filled by the main tank and not have a fill thru the deck, but just a vent?

I know it could be hooked up, but is it ABYC?

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
                Could the second tank be filled by the main tank and not have a fill thru the deck, but just a vent?
                Sure it could. Logically fuel from the larger tank is transferred to the smaller tank.

I know it could be hooked up, but is it ABYC?
                I think it could be done in compliance. It would certainly need grounding and its own vent. Engine operation is required to be locked out during fuel transfer too. All you'd be saving is a hose and a fill plate.

edit:
                I forgot to mention my strong preference for transferring fuel through the filter. You don't want contamination in one tank to pollute the other. Also, if the existing tank doesn't have an available port to receive transferred fuel we have an easy solution for that too.
                Last edited by ndutton; 12-18-2014, 12:30 AM.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California
                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• romantic comedy
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2007

thanks Neil,

I have a nice square 15 gallon tank that fits nicely below the cockpit. I have had it for years and never hooked it up. The fill house run will be a pain. Now this thread has me thinking of not having one. Better then the cans on the deck.

Comment

• Marian Claire
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Aug 2007

Captainmurph. Do you plan to make more long distance trips or is this one and done?
                    As with most things "how you use your boat" is key. If you are making relatively short, time wise, but long motoring hrs wise then your below deck space may be better used for a fixed multi-tank system. That is not the case for me.
                    I do not know how many cans you need but I use three and have never felt like they compromised the seaworthiness of the MC. If a boat is so tender that 100# of fuel at deck level makes her unstable then it may be time to use a different boat.
                    I have been boarded many times over the years. CG, LEO's etc. No one ever asked me about my Jerry Cans
                    This whole "floater" thing has got my knickers in a twist so I had better stop.
                    Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Marian Claire View Post
                      Captainmurph. Do you plan to make more long distance trips or is this one and done?
                      As with most things "how you use your boat" is key. If you are making relatively short, time wise, but long motoring hrs wise then your below deck space may be better used for a fixed multi-tank system. That is not the case for me.
                      I do not know how many cans you need but I use three and have never felt like they compromised the seaworthiness of the MC. If a boat is so tender that 100# of fuel at deck level makes her unstable then it may be time to use a different boat.
                      I have been boarded many times over the years. CG, LEO's etc. No one ever asked me about my Jerry Cans
                      This whole "floater" thing has got my knickers in a twist so I had better stop.
                      Dan S/V Marian Claire
                      Hi Dan - Please don't be upset about the term "floater". I've had it applied to me by the Florida Marine Patrol and subsequently learned it's actually an honorable appellation for gypsy liveaboards like me (and many other rogues of the ICW). Sorry for any unintentional twisting. BTW, I too have been boarded multiple times, jugs on deck, without event.

Comment

• Marian Claire
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Aug 2007

Untwisting. Thanks. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• brewgyver
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by zellerj View Post
                          And 6 nautical miles, just under 7 statute miles. And that's about as good as a lot of the old caddies that were making pretty much the same run every year in the old days!

Comment

Working...
                          X